Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing Mongrel

Options
  • 26-02-2008 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

Yet again, my canine companion has absconded from his abode in Highfield Park.

He's a small, tan/beige coloured Cairn Terrier/Chitzu mix, with long hair and a bushy tail. Answers to the name of Benjy. He's extremely friendly, but be warned; only approach him in the knowledge that he will try to lick you to death!

Any information about his whereabouts would be gratefully received. It's in the Advertiser and on GBFM, so I'm hoping he'll be found sooner rather than later. His name and my contact number are also on a disc on his collar.

Information, please, to 086-<snip>

Thanks.

David.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

Hi, just saw you post their, as i was walking to work this morning i may have spotted your dog.. and yes he very friendly!! nearlly followed us all the. but he was wandering around the Dangan area.
    This is where we spotted him. and followed us allong the line..
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=6281108109574689235,53.287840,-9.073200%3B11557188419407759774,53.288546,-9.074274&saddr=Clifton+Ave+%4053.287840,+-9.073200&daddr=53.288526,-9.074557&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=16&sll=53.288141,-9.071681&sspn=0.003771,0.009484&ie=UTF8&ll=53.288975,-9.072411&spn=0.003771,0.009484&z=16

Hope you find him! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Thanks a million for that. We've been up around there a few times, but I'll try it again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Hope you find your dog. I was only talking to a Dog Lover last night and she was telling me a lot of dogs have been snatched in the last few weeks.
    Ring the Dog Pound and the lovable Keith Finnegan

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

When did he go missing. I saw your dog on rockmount rd in highfield on monday evening, he briefly came into the house as we had the door left open, i thought he was the neighbours so sent him towards there house and he went in the side alley. If i see him again i will be in contact with you.

Still no sign of him. I was on to both Garda stations on Monday, GBFM, GSPCA, MADRA, and the pound on Tuesday, and there's an ad in the Advertiser today.

Kudos to GBFM and the Advertiser; when the dog showed up last summer and we were trying to trace the owner, neither of them would charge for the "Dog Found" ad we placed; the only ones to charge us were the Galway Independent. This time around, and again GBFM wouldn't charge for a "Dog Lost" ad.

Both the pound and the GSPCA have contacted me a couple of times to see if he's shown up.

sgthighway; I've heard that there are a lot of dogs gone missing, too.

encyclopedia; thanks for that. We've been all over the estate a dozen times at this stage. It doesn't surprise me that he walked into the house; that's how he ended up with us! He's unbelievably friendly, and has no fear of people at all.

• Advertisement

Unashamedly bumping this, as he still hasn't shown up. Got a few calls from people, but a few turned out to be other dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

good luc mate hope he's found

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Hope you find him, he's a cute dog. I think I've seen him a few times before he went missing whilst walking through Highfield. He's the one dog in that area who didn't terrify me! (I'm terrified of dogs!)

I'll keep an eye out.

Got the phonecall we've been waiting for all week. A lady had found him outside her house on Ballymoneen Road 3 days ago and had taken him in. She spotted one of our posters in Dunnes in Knocknacarra today, and the ad in the Advertiser, and rang us straight away. So he's downstairs now flat out in front of the fire!!!

We're VERY relieved.

Thanks to all on here, as well as to the other lady from Ballymoneen who had rang us after she came home from a walk having spotted him a few days ago (she only saw the ad when she got home).

Many thanks also to the shop owners and managers who let us put up posters, such as Daybreak off Ballymoneen Road; Joyces and Dunnes in KnaC; Xtravision, Maxol and Aldi in Westside; Cookes on Shantalla Road; The Front Door, Buskers, the Skeff,and Tom Sheridans pubs; Maudes Hair Salon in Shantalla; and to the friends who put them up in their apartment blocks and in the college.

Someone had removed his collar and tag before he was rescued, so it looks like someone had meant to keep him but he ran away.

Again, thanks to all of the well wishers.

Encyclopedia; I hope his barking doesn't keep you awake. Thanks for using your first post on here to let me know you had seen him!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

thank god, a happy ending

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

Great news..was following developments.

Well done that lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Your Good News brings a bit of happiness to my crap day. Would you consider chipping him? The Dog Lover I spoke to said anytime she finds a stray she brings the stray in to get scanned to see do they have a chip. You get the GPS Chip too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Nice one Fey!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

OK so now that you've found him, can we have a bit of light humour?

Fey, I thought I spotted yout dog on Quay Street last week, but wasn't sure:

antisantaor3.jpg

02102007008yh5.jpg

In fairness, there's a resembelence! :D

Glad you found him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

actually LOL'd!!

SgtHighway - he is chipped. We adopted him through MADRA (They had him out to another house, he ran away within an hour and literally walked into our house, we traced him back to MADRA and ended up adopting him). Part of their package is that the dog is chipped and has all of its shots, and they provide full paperwork for the dog. They also come out and interview potential owners, as well as checking that the houses/gardens/gates/etc are suitable.

However, the chip he has is only ID; have you and info on the GPS ones?

JohnCleary - I can catagorically confirm that our dog is currently the worse smelling of the two!!! He's been rolling in something that certainly isn't used to give soap a scent!!!

I forgot to thank 3 other organisations earlier, and that's MADRA, the GSPCA and, especially, the dog pound. Each were very helpful, and the pound made contact a few times to see if we had any word and to let us know of a few things that were going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Glad you found him. He looks nearly exactly like my BFs dog and when I told him that there was a dog like his missing near me he nearly cried! I really really really don't like dogs but I hate to see any harm coming to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Fey! wrote: »
    Someone had removed his collar and tag before he was rescued, so it looks like someone had meant to keep him but he ran away.
    Maybe, but it may have gotten caught on something and he managed to work out of it himself, or break it, or some young kids may have disentangled him without the sense to actually ring you or show it to an adult.

My aunt had a dog who was a bit of a rambler, but very good at showing up a day or so later, several times without collar. On a couple of occasions he was safely home when she got a phonecall to say his collar had been found somewhere it had no business to be!

Anyway, all's well that ends well! He looks like a character, I'm sure you are delighted to have him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Nice one Fey! Glad to hear he's home safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Cool! Must be such a relief to have found him - you always tend to expect the worst when animals go missing for more then a few days...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

That's great news. Very good of that lady to look after him. Nice dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Glad you found him!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

No problem, glad to hear you got him back safely, if he drops over to the house again ill know now to who to call.

Just got a call from a lady who saw a dog running through traffic. She couldn't get hold of it, but remembered the ad from last weeks advertiser and went to the trouble of finding the paper and the ad to contact me just in case it might be my dog.

Just shows how good natured a lot of people are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Glad to see you found the dog. Im nearly sure he's the same dog that walked into my house a few months ago, friendliest dog i've ever come across! I gave him some cheese - we had a laugh:D

He does make it a bit of a habit (walking into peoples houses, that is!)

And if you live in Highfield, Shantalla, Ballmoneen Road, or the train station, it probably was him!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dudis

Did you ask in the Chinaman in Oranmore ? might beworth a try.

Advertisement