Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fiat Marea - immobilised??

Options
  • 26-02-2008 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Have a problem with my wife's '96 Marea.
    She got out this morning and tried to start the car...but nothing happened.

Have since checked everything I could (battery car, battery key, ignition, fuses f*ckin everything)
    But to no avail. Now wondering whether the immobilizer's f*cked.
    How can I check??, Any chance of getting the car to run?? Next Fiat garage miles away

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

Check the manual, does Fiat have a automatic fuel cut off system,

so basically when you crash (hopefully not:)) fuel flow to the engine is disconnected,

maybe for some reason this option is now active,

so only thing you need to find out is where to disconnect this option, it might be a button somewhere inside the car,

And what excaclty happens when you turn the key?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 IanOCol

itarumaa wrote: »
    Check the manual, does Fiat have a automatic fuel cut off system,

so basically when you crash (hopefully not:)) fuel flow to the engine is disconnected,

maybe for some reason this option is now active,

so only thing you need to find out is where to disconnect this option, it might be a button somewhere inside the car,

And what excaclty happens when you turn the key?

It's not the fuel cut off. Checked it.
    Thing is, I drove the car home yesterday. Locked it and that was it.
    Today at 7:30.....nothing. Everything works fine (lights, indicators) disconnetcted the starter motor and tested it...works fine. That's why I assumed it to be the immobilizer. Must be something in the electronic section

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

ok,

some more ideas:

have you tried with another key?

does the starter motor activate at all when you turn the key,
    so do you hear a klick only or does the starter actually try to start the engine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 IanOCol

itarumaa wrote: »
    ok,

some more ideas:

have you tried with another key?

does the starter motor activate at all when you turn the key,
    so do you hear a klick only or does the starter actually try to start the engine?

Tried all key..nothing
    Starter taken out....works fine when connected to a spare battery. Inside the car...nothing at all, no klick, doesn't turn.

Battery is perfect.
    Isn't there a chance of overriding the immobilizer ( can do that with my BMW).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

IanOCol wrote: »
    Isn't there a chance of overriding the immobilizer ( can do that with my BMW).

Think there is something you can do with the pedals and the code number on the card, literally involves 'tapping' the engine code in bypassing the immob - fiatforum.com may be of help here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

When you turn the key to 'on' and the various lights do thier self test, does the immobiliser light, the one with the little key symbol, turn on and stay on or does it turn on and turn off after a few seconds? If it stays on, you're immobilised, if it turns off, the problem is somewhere else.

Advertisement