Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there cheating in CoD4?

• 26-02-2008 1:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭

Heya,

Just played my first multiplayer last night, I am a veteran of many online FPS's however with this new "kill cam" thing in CoD it shows some mighty unlikely kills.

Most kills on me were quite normal, however I did notice some replays that didnt make any sense at all.

They were all wall kills with no visibility of the other side, there wasnt even a window near, and they were not sprays, it was a dead on burst to my exact location.
    In one situation I was killed through the floor while I was moving, the fellow that got me was following my movements through the floor before he fired from the floor below.
    Is it a known issue? or is it simply a case of L2P?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Could of been uav up.
    However wallhacks and aimbots are to be seen quite a lot.
    Tones of sites selling these cheats etc.
    Just search youtube and you will see.

Why they bother is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I was inside for all of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

As said above, I shoot plenty of campers through walls using the UAV. Just line up the 2 dots through the wall, put it at body height and spray. You even get told when you get hits so you can reasonably follow them as they run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I don't know if there is a lot, but there is definitely some.

I saw one guy who could move insanely fast, i'd have thought i was imagining it, but he had a name like 'zoomy' or something, not subtle at all.

I was shot by a guy mid-reload. He didn't switch weapons or anything, it was like, he had the mag out in his hand, BAM shoots me, continues reloading. Definitely didn't switch weapons.

I've seen a lot of guys aim at me perfectly through smoke. You can't see a damn thing through the replay, but they manage to aim perfectly (not spray).

There's also some guys deliberately trying to get 333FPS or more (even though their max screen refresh is 85 or 100hz), so they can run silently, jump higher, less recoil etc. This is cheating imo.

I don't see the point tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I was shot by a guy mid-reload. He didn't switch weapons or anything, it was like, he had the mag out in his hand, BAM shoots me, continues reloading. Definitely didn't switch weapons.

I have seen this quite a lot, I don't think its cheating but a flaw in the netcode. I don't think they are really reloading.
    I've seen a lot of guys aim at me perfectly through smoke. You can't see a damn thing through the replay, but they manage to aim perfectly (not spray).

Once again, I'm not saying some of them were not cheating but think there are flaws in the way Killcam process your kill. I know it uses your clients data to explain the kill.
    There's also some guys deliberately trying to get 333FPS or more (even though their max screen refresh is 85 or 100hz), so they can run silently, jump higher, less recoil etc. This is cheating imo.

Also pointless, the server runs at whatever fps its set at in the config. It doesn't run any faster or slower and will only send and receive data at those timed intervals. I would like to know where that rumour started and why people believe its real.
    I don't see the point tbh.[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

krazy is absolutely bang on in what he says above.

The killcam and what you see in replay sometimes is not fully accurate.
    This is a well known issue with all the cod series since the beginning of cod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Jumpy wrote: »
    Heya,

Just played my first multiplayer last night, I am a veteran of many online FPS's however with this new "kill cam" thing in CoD it shows some mighty unlikely kills.
    A veteran who doesnt know the Cod Killcam :confused: -- anyway.

Yes Killcam is sometimes inacurrate due to netcode/latency between players-server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭DILLIGAF

i dont get it, is he on about being shot through a wall? You can shoot through most surfaces in COD4,i get a load of kills that way!

DILLIGAF wrote: »
    i dont get it, is he on about being shot through a wall? You can shoot through most surfaces in COD4,i get a load of kills that way!

No, I understand the wall is penetratable, I mean theres no way it could be known that I was at that exact place. Especially with the guy who shot me throught the floor.

I thought the killcam was a server equivalent view of what the "other guy" saw. I didnt realise it was in effect a created reply from your client information. This makes it a little bit different.

ZeRoY wrote: »
    A veteran who doesnt know the Cod Killcam :confused: -- anyway.

Yes Killcam is sometimes inacurrate due to netcode/latency between players-server.

CoD never interested me until I saw 4 played, I am a TF person all the way back from Quake TF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

It's, well not easy but you can tell where people are going behind walls, corners or if they were running you can guess what distance they might make. You can do this without UAV and i find it's easy enough, and no need to spray either. Maybe this person is just smart, as for tracking you through the wall apart from UAV and sudden death i can't explain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

there is when Im on the server :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Jumpy wrote: »
    No, I understand the wall is penetratable, I mean theres no way it could be known that I was at that exact place. Especially with the guy who shot me throught the floor.

I thought the killcam was a server equivalent view of what the "other guy" saw. I didnt realise it was in effect a created reply from your client information. This makes it a little bit different.

It can also be a good player can better predict where people are likely to be. The maps are small and have a long time playing you know all the obvious places. On some maps you can lob a grenade or fire at section of wall and 9/10 times you'll hit someone.

Another thing I've found is some people are using really fast machines, and huge monitors, with massive res and they can see things others can't. If they see a tip of a barrel, they'll fire through the wall, or lead where you're likely to walk to.

That said theres definately a lot of cheaters. Solution, leave game and join another one. Loads of them to play on.

I have got way better now. Its only when you dont know how the game works that it looks like everyone is doing weird stuff.
    Its all making sense now.
    Now I just want my silenced P90. Except I am still level 9.

Advertisement