Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Polytunnel, or Mushroom House

Options
  • 26-02-2008 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I've become involved in a local community garden project. They would love to put up a polytunnel on their land, however cost is a bit steep. I've found plans online on how to build your own and add a bought cover.

If any of you know where we can get either an old tunnel or mushroom house we could use please let me know. Hopefully this would be donated or come in at a very cheap price.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I broke up an old couch and inside it were two laths with springy medal things that form an outline for a tunnel. All you need is some plastic (and an old couch, of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

like this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

More like this is what I am thinking.

623005623.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

tampopo wrote: »
    like this..

Why would you bother?

I saw a similarly-sized poly-tunnel in a shop yesterday for about 20 quid...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

tampopo wrote: »
    like this..
    :eek::confused:
    i'd say you must have saved every penny you've ever had:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sme

Tampopo what you made would probably be better called a cloche.
    I saw a similarly-sized poly-tunnel in a shop yesterday for about 20 quid...

what shop was this??? i am very interested.

HairyFairy, you can get into lots of hassle with mushroom tunnels. I took down some last year and had the trouble of disposing of the rock wool insulation which was between the covers, nasty stuff.
    I'd recommend going to garden centres and you might get lucky, they might be upgrading to glass etc.

On the commercial side there are a few places i would have dealt with, filclair in birr, colm warren in trim.

hope some of that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

sme wrote: »

what shop was this??? i am very interested.

Liffey Mills i think...

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sme

thanks, hopefully i'll have time to check it out this week. i'm curious to see what the build quality is like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

Hi All,

I've become involved in a local community garden project. They would love to put up a polytunnel on their land, however cost is a bit steep. I've found plans online on how to build your own and add a bought cover.

If any of you know where we can get either an old tunnel or mushroom house we could use please let me know. Hopefully this would be donated or come in at a very cheap price.

Thanks.

my daughter ...10yo..thought it was a house shaped like a mushroom..hahahaha..

have you a link for the plans please?

Advertisement