Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

makeup

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭CrazyPolly

thats a little harsh! some people like wearing make-up and making an effort.

thats your main reason Id say!

Are you actually implying that the only reason I don't wear make-up every day is laziness??! Seriously...come on. That is utterly ridiculous. I don't wear make-up every day because I have enough self-confidence and know that I don't need make-up to be pretty. A lot of people don't believe that about themselves, which is why they won't let anyone see them without it.
    Cathooo wrote: »
    +1 that you're being quite harsh here. Bit OTT.
    ......................I could be spending the money on a lot worse!

I don't think it's over the top at all. I'm not talking about people who wear it to work or out to dinner or whatever. I'm talking about the girls who actually fear people seeing them without make-up, the girls like the one the OP mentioned, who put it on to go to a martial arts class or going for a jog or going to buy a pint of milk. As one poster said, they actually depend on the make-up and it demonstrates a severe lack of self-confidence. And yeah, they could spend their money on much worse....they could also spend it on a therapist to sort out whatever issues they have causing them to feel that their natural beauty is inadequate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

CrazyPolly wrote: »
    And yeah, they could spend their money on much worse....they could also spend it on a therapist to sort out whatever issues they have causing them to feel that their natural beauty is inadequate.

But surely if this was the case then nearly every woman would be running to therapists! If you're one of the rare girls that are 100% happy with their appearance (body included) then fair play to you because you are in the minority.

Lots of people every day have surgery to fix what they see as inadequacies be it their face, their bum, their breasts or whatever. So I just think that in the grand scheme of it all a little make-up every day isnt really such a bad thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I used to wear make up only when going out with friends in the evenings or on weekends. I'm fine with how I look without make up, but it does make you look better. And it's incredibly fun. I see the face as a canvas and it's interesting the different looks you can achieve.
    However, my job back then was very casual: I showed up to work every day in jeans, flip flops, a t shirt, hair back, no make up.
    Now I work for a high end office in downtown Boston. We don't have casual dress on any day of the week. I'm always dressed professionally, and have to have my hair and make up done nicely. Usually on the weekends, I run errands and go to the gym, so there's no point in wearing make up. But if I go out and meet friends, I'll put some on.

I don't agree that nearly every woman can't bear the thought of people seeing her without make-up and they're the ones I'm talking about. The people who won't step outside the door without foundation & mascara & blusher & lipgloss. I am most definitely not 100% happy with my appearance, but, there are varying degrees od dissatisfaction. And I think any woman who is that ashamed of their face in it's natural state has a problem.It's like, ok...you can be unhappy with your breasts, fine. But if you only ever wear baggy tops for fear of someone seeing them or won't let a guy see you topless, then it's a problem.
    And I agree, wearing make-up all day every day mightn't seem as severe as having surgery but at the end of the day, it's the same underlying issue driving people to such things....severe lack of confidence in their natural body.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I don't think it's over the top at all. I'm not talking about people who wear it to work or out to dinner or whatever. I'm talking about the girls who actually fear people seeing them without make-up, the girls like the one the OP mentioned, who put it on to go to a martial arts class or going for a jog or going to buy a pint of milk. As one poster said, they actually depend on the make-up and it demonstrates a severe lack of self-confidence. And yeah, they could spend their money on much worse....they could also spend it on a therapist to sort out whatever issues they have causing them to feel that their natural beauty is inadequate.

Lots of people have irrational fears, for some girls it's people seeing them with no make up on. They shouldnt be laughed at or told to go see a therapist. They're not freaks they just prefer to look their best. Does nothing freak you out? spiders? heights? blood?

I still do think you're a bit OTT, there's a big difference between slagging people off and voicing your opinion. I voiced my opinion without saying that I think people who don't wear make up are freaks. And no I don't think that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Cathooo wrote: »
    Does nothing freak you out? spiders? heights? blood?

....because if it does then visit the phobia forum! :D

LadyJ wrote: »
    ....because if it does then visit the phobia forum! :D

that would have been my next line :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

taconnol wrote: »
    Can I ask does anyone here look for organic make-up/beauty products?

It seems that a lot of people are concerned about buying the best or about their skin etc & so it would make sense to buy products without a list of chemicals as long as your arm?

https://www.lush.co.uk/indexb.aspx

they have a line in vegan makeup and have two shops in dublin or you can order online.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Thaedydal wrote: »
    https://www.lush.co.uk/indexb.aspx

they have a line in vegan makeup and have two shops in dublin or you can order online.

Yeah thanks I shop in there & use Lavera products a lot (great value for money) So I am paraben-free!

http://www.lavera.com/

Was just wondering if anyone else takes it into consideration...clearly not a lot..

I've never tried organic make up. I wouldnt order online without testing it out first in a shop. I didnt know Lush did make up, I never go in there, but next time i go by it I'll pop in. Cant hurt to try!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

macbarbie wrote: »
    I always wear makeup.. wouldn even answer the door with none on!! I only take it off at night or if im watching film snuggling with my boyfriend coz he hates wen i get it allover his clothes! but other than that, ALWAYS!! even goin swimming id wear waterproof mascara!!

oh god yeah. just back from hols and me with no Make up on AND my fringe pasted back to my head! :eek::eek:

hehe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

So, what does organic mean in the context of makeup?

Does it make a difference if your makeup is carbon based?

It means no petro chemial components.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭straricco

I know so many girls like that...I just laugh at them. I shouldn't really cos it's quite sad to think that they have such a lack of self-confidence they daren't let anyone see them in their natural skin.

You shouldn't judge people without having the full facts!!! Do you honestly think that some of these girls "want" to have to wear make up every day? My sister wears it even going to the shop, she is totally paranoid about her skin as she used to have acne. Try living with that and then you can judge other people!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

pedantry alert....petrochemical compounds are very organic :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭macbarbie

Niamho! wrote: »
    oh god yeah. just back from hols and me with no Make up on AND my fringe pasted back to my head! :eek::eek:

hehe.

haha... i know that look well... :rolleyes:

straricco wrote: »
    You shouldn't judge people without having the full facts!!! Do you honestly think that some of these girls "want" to have to wear make up every day? My sister wears it even going to the shop, she is totally paranoid about her skin as she used to have acne. Try living with that and then you can judge other people!!! :mad:

+1 well said!!! some ppl dont realise every1 doesnt have perfect skin....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

I agree with people who have said about wearing it all the time because of acne.

I have bad acne, well more bad flare ups and I'm completely paranoid about my skin. I also have quite faint eye brows so i have to pencil alot of them in. I just feel that even though my skin is sh*t that i gives me a little more confidence as opposed to when i was younger and not into make up and my acne was 5 times worse that i wouldn't go anywhere or do anything which affected my social life etc.

So I am a sports coach, I am coaching in a few hours. I will be wearing make up, it might sound ridiculous to some people but some little kids have in the past said "what's that on your face?" or "why do you have loads of big spots?" etc in regard to my acne and it does get me down. When training myself I will wear make up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

tallaght01 wrote: »

[chemistrynerd]I thought this too but was too ashamed to say! [/chemistrynerd]

I know what people mean though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Babette08

Have to say I love makeup – where would we be without it?? :) I sometimes feel sorry for guys not being able to hide their hangover faces :p I’ve always been very pale so got used to using it at an early age and yeah like anything that you do a lot that makes you feel better it becomes a habit.

Gym, working out etc – makeup a BIG no no. Popping to the shop for 10 minutes is a bit pointless too. Wear it to work, nights out etc.

• Advertisement

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

Is this normal? She claims it is. Are there actually lots of women who won't leave the house without makeup?

If so, why is it? This woman is married, so she's not looking to attract guys. is it insecurity?

What's going on here, ladies? :p

I had the very same eye opener today when a load of girls from work started to discuss how they couldn't possibly leave the house without their make up on. One even went on to say that she applied her make up daily, even to lounge about the house... Just in case someone should call to the door!

Now that's just crazy.

I wear make up to work 5 days a week, when I head for a night out, I'll apply make up, but when it comes to my days off, there is no way I am pasting my face with unnecessary make up, my skin needs a chance to breath!

Babette08 wrote: »
    Have to say I love makeup – where would we be without it?? :) I sometimes feel sorry for guys not being able to hide their hangover faces :p

Gym, .

haha... so true.. we can get tan,hair dyed,extensions, makeup,fake nails,tinted eyebrows, fake eyelashes, pushup bras, contol pants...the works.... watever your flaw wev discovered cures.... poor chaps.. your ugly your screwed!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I only put on makeup if I'm dressing up for something, and even then I use it to look more polished rather than to look better (my skillz are so bad I quite often end up looking worse with makeup on anyway.. eyeshadow always seems to make me look droopy eyed). My reasons for not wearing it every day are
    1. I'm confident in my looks and I don't think they need much improving
    2. I touch my face and eyes quite often during the day, I'd make a hames of it in no time (how do you give your eyes a good scratch with makeup on?)
    3. I love my bed, I've perfected the ten minute bed to door routine and there isn't time in it for makeup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

It's not a choice for some girls. Me for example, I have quite bad acne scars from when I was younger, my face is all red marks so I literally can't go outside the door without make up on or I'd scare small children :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Agreed.
    Im not very confident about how I look so I wear makeup the majority of the time. I have started to wear less but I hate people seeing me without my makeup on. Its a insecurity thing I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

panda100 wrote: »
    Agreed.
    Im not very confident about how I look so I wear makeup the majority of the time. I have started to wear less but I hate people seeing me without my makeup on. Its a insecurity thing I guess.

I can understand where your coming from, from a confidence perspective, but the odd day without make up would do your skin the world of good.

I generally have one or two make up free days a week. I'll just get up, get into some comfy sports wear, stick a cap on, and go for a walk.

I can always feel the difference in my skin afterwards.

Cathoo, I never said I slag these people and I never called them freaks. Well, unless the make-up is seriously badly done but that's a different story. And when I said it's "sad", I meant the in the "it;s upsetting, shed a tear" way, not as in the "you're sad, you're a loser" way. I always forget that people can't hear my tone on here....

How did I judge people? Actually, no wait, you're right.....I said that people who are scared to step outside without make-up have self-confidence issues. As far as I can see though, you have agreed with my judgement. Your sister is a prime example of the girls I'm talking about. She is too paranoid to let people see her with no make-up and it is because she confidence issues due to her acne. I don't understand why you're so angry.

As far as all the acne sufferers go, there's more to you than skin. Can you not gather enough confidence from your personality, charm, humour, intelligence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

As far as all the acne sufferers go, there's more to you than skin. Can you not gather enough confidence from your personality, charm, humour, intelligence?

Come back to us if you ever have a face that looks like a pizza and you hate what you see when you look in the mirror without make up! What a stupid thing to say. You're lucky you're so perfect!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Knee-Vee

I'm lucky enough not to have had acne as a teenager. However I'm also unlucky enough to have very dry skin. So I hate wearing makeup because it usually dries my skin right out. I wear eyeliner but that's it. No foundation mascara or blush etc.

Advertisement