Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

makeup

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

I don't know if I mentioned, but I work in the Cosmetics, skin care and Perfumes section of the airport, so wearing make up is kinda part of my job.
    That's probably why I am so adamant not to wear any on my days off work.On the up side, I do get lots of really cool freebies, which make wearing it more fun :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

straricco wrote: »
    You shouldn't judge people without having the full facts!!! Do you honestly think that some of these girls "want" to have to wear make up every day? My sister wears it even going to the shop, she is totally paranoid about her skin as she used to have acne. Try living with that and then you can judge other people!!! :mad:

+1
    I had acne for years, covered it up very well with make-up tho! It was my life-saver. Now I still wear make-up every day as I have some red marks remaining - I always wear it to work (although I won't keep re-applying it as I do think that's bad for your skin). If I don'y have make up on at home and someone visits I do panic and think can they see the scars/marks but I'm sure it's in my head and the vistor doesn't even care if I've make up on or not! LOL
    I don't think people are shallow or insecure for wearing make-up - it's just another element of female grooming like washing yourself, dressing well, stylng your hair - no biggy.... sometimes I see girls with acne and my heart goes out to them - I know what they're going through, it's horrible. If make-up helps then live and let live I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Mrs_Doyle wrote: »
    I don't know if I mentioned, but I work in the Cosmetics, skin care and Perfumes section of the airport, so wearing make up is kinda part of my job.
    That's probably why I am so adamant not to wear any on my days off work.On the up side, I do get lots of really cool freebies, which make wearing it more fun :p

Hi there Mrs Doyle!

I'd just like to point out that I've enjoyed everyone of your posts.

Thanks
    Sueme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

I only wear make up on a night out. I think its a waste of time and quite pointless to wear it everyday. Imo it's often a sign of low self confidence. Then again I am only 19 so I might change my mind when the wrinkles and broken veins start to appear :).

That being my point (and some other ladies who have posted) I have VERY low self confidence regarding my skin as I have suffered with acne for 7 years now.... I'm 21 so age makes no difference really

+1
    I had acne for years, covered it up very well with make-up tho! It was my life-saver. Now I still wear make-up every day as I have some red marks remaining - I always wear it to work (although I won't keep re-applying it as I do think that's bad for your skin). If I don'y have make up on at home and someone visits I do panic and think can they see the scars/marks but I'm sure it's in my head and the vistor doesn't even care if I've make up on or not! LOL
    I don't think people are shallow or insecure for wearing make-up - it's just another element of female grooming like washing yourself, dressing well, stylng your hair - no biggy.... sometimes I see girls with acne and my heart goes out to them - I know what they're going through, it's horrible. If make-up helps then live and let live I say!

+1 for me too!!!

Hit the nail on the head for me there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Ha, I'm going to be in the airport this weekend, I'll be looking for Pauline McLynn everywhere!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

Im sooo jealous. I had a friend who worked as a "fragrance consultant" in boots- she got to travel to England, all expenses paid for launches of new fragrances and for training..she used to come back with these designer bags packed to the brim with new perfumes and cosmetics and cool little limited edition bags and stuff... that was 2 years ago and on her last count she still had 15 unopened bottles of perfume... she has a discipline I can only dream of! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Lola123

I wear make up every day. Only eye make up if I'm going out. Love spending ages at it then.
    I like the way it can make you look completely different. That said, on a day to day basis, I like to look pretty natural, but always wear tinted moisturiser/light foundation, blusher and concealer. It's part of my morning routine now, and I feel weird not doing it. I sometimes look really pale without make up, so the lil bit I do wear on a day to day basis allows me to wear certain colours that would look cr@p against my pale skin!
    Putting on make-up specifically to exercise is a bit odd in my opinion, but each to their own. I just don't like the feeling of the make up sweating into your face. ew!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

Im sooo jealous. I had a friend who worked as a "fragrance consultant" in boots- she got to travel to England, all expenses paid for launches of new fragrances and for training..she used to come back with these designer bags packed to the brim with new perfumes and cosmetics and cool little limited edition bags and stuff... that was 2 years ago and on her last count she still had 15 unopened bottles of perfume... she has a discipline I can only dream of! :D

Oh the job has its perks alright. I get training in every major house (Dior, Origins, Creme, YSL, Lauder, Armani, etc) and when we do training, we get cool freebies:D, BUT....
    Some of my shifts start at 5am, which means falling out of the bed at 3.45am, getting dressed in the dark (so as not to wake the house up) whilst still half asleep, and then trying do my hair, and apply make up through squinty sleep eyes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Sometimes i feel sorry for men - that they can't hide hangovers with make up. :D

I wouldn't wear make up everyday, but i do find that i can't put on just 'a little'.

For example, if i've black circles under my eyes i'll reach for the concealer (if i need to hide them for work/going out/etc). Then, i'll notice the rest of my face looks odd compared to the concealeredy eyes....pull out the foundation/tinted moisturiser.

Hmmm, now i look a little pale - where's that blush? Better put some mascara on too, and sure while i'm there might as well throw on some eye shadow.... I only pulled out the make up bag to fix the dark circles and now i've used 6/7 different products.

Make up can also be fun when getting ready for a night out with other people, bopping around with some wine and music.

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Well, the responses here are an eye opener. I'd no idea so many people wore makeup routinely.

90% of the time that's the aim, make up companies call it the 'natural look'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I don't wear make-up at all, except on rare, rare occasions (weddings, job interviews, rare nights out). I look terrible without make up, but I don't wear it because I am absolutely crap at putting it on. I can't put it on without looking like I've gotten two punches in the face. I wish I knew how to use it, but I don't :( My sister has tried to give me lessons, but I can never replicate what she does on me.

Whenever my sister does my make up, I feel less ugly than I usually do, but when I put it on myself, I feel even more ugly, because I know I've put it on wrong :s I'm a disaster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

embee wrote: »
    I don't wear make-up at all, except on rare, rare occasions (weddings, job interviews, rare nights out). I look terrible without make up, but I don't wear it because I am absolutely crap at putting it on. I can't put it on without looking like I've gotten two punches in the face. I wish I knew how to use it, but I don't :( My sister has tried to give me lessons, but I can never replicate what she does on me.

Whenever my sister does my make up, I feel less ugly than I usually do, but when I put it on myself, I feel even more ugly, because I know I've put it on wrong :s I'm a disaster!

Why not ask her to show you?

I only got big into my make up within the last 3 years as I was working in a Cosmetics Distributers and was given so many free samples, also 3 of my best friends are beauty therapists so they've shown me how to shade, blend etc the right way and I have to say knowing how to do it makes it so much more enjoyable to wear.... I will never forget being 13 and being told by a guy that I looked like a fish with my bright pink eyeshadow on :(

Why not ask her to show you?

Lol, I dunno if I was clear in my last post, but she HAS shown me, on numerous occasions. When it comes down to doing exactly what she's done, I never succeed and I look even more stupid than I did before I put it on :(

Lol, I dunno if I was clear in my last post, but she HAS shown me, on numerous occasions. When it comes down to doing exactly what she's done, I never succeed and I look even more stupid than I did before I put it on :(

Have you really devoted time to it though. Makeup is all about practice.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Have you really devoted time to it though. Makeup is all about practice.

I'll be honest - I don't think that devoting what precious spare time I have to learning how to put on make up properly is high on my priority list. Mostly, free time is for sleeping. Make up is not really important to me, I was just saying that I'm rubbish at putting it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

I wear it the whole time to ... the only person i feel fine without it with is my boyfriend .. he freaks that i put it on his clothes!!! :) Ive told him to stop wearing white! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Midna

i wear very little, it is sooo bad for your skin and I think less is always more in the case of makeup.

that said, i rarely go out make up free, and I can transform myself for a night out :)

I usually take five minutes but I know a girl who got up an hour early to do her hair and makeup. she did need to though (meeeooow)

Midna wrote: »
    I usually take five minutes but I know a girl who got up an hour early to do her hair and makeup. she did need to though (meeeooow)

Saucer of milk! :D

Time wise i could never sacrifice an hour's sleep to make up. And, the extra sleep probably makes me look better than any make up could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

sometimes i wear it sometimes i don't, mehh depends on what time i get up at lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lurvely

I dont normally wear make up except if i was going out or something, which isnt that often. Id have quite pale skin & get the whole you look while tired thing nearly everyday so i could probably do with wearing a little more often!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Mazda

I go to an all girls school and loads of girls wear make up to school everyday even though they mightn't see a boy from morning till night. its all about self-confidence and how people percieve you. I wear make up on th weekends but never during th week. only if i was going on a trip with th school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I put it on if I have a spare ten minutes, it's all or nothing for me really... I only started using foundation/powder properly this year as finding something that matches my shade of white was hard! I used to wear concealer obsessively as a teenager because I had very bad acne, thankfully those days are mostly gone, I don't have the best skin now but it doesn't bother me enough to wear makeup every day. I know that it makes a big difference to the way I look but to be honest, when I need to get to college for 9am I'd rather spend the ten minutes snoozing!

I'll admit that if I fancy a guy, I don't like him seeing me with no makeup on. Natural beauty is lovely when you have it! :) Unfortunately, I don't, and covering up my bad skin and using pencils/mascara to darken my stupid light blonde eyebrows/lashes goes a long way for me when it comes to feeling confident...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Quality wrote: »
    My sister, wont leave the house without makeup,

It doesnt bother me though, i like to wear it when I am going out, thats about it..

Same here. it's a pity really, 'cause she's a natural stunner, so she really doesn't need it at all.

I remember when we were teens and she started wearing mascara before me (I'm older) I was kinda worried, so I made her promise never to turn into one of the people who spend loads on makeup and can't leave the house without it on... My request was fruitless though, slowly but surely she became one of 'em.

Oh and while we're on the topic of makeup, I hope ye all go for the cruelty free brands, ie lush :D

I'll be honest - I don't think that devoting what precious spare time I have to learning how to put on make up properly is high on my priority list. Mostly, free time is for sleeping. Make up is not really important to me, I was just saying that I'm rubbish at putting it on.

I'm the exact same, although I think I should make an effort before I'm wrinkley and I regret it.
    I was just point out that your not cosmetically challenged.
    If the beautification minion quits and you feel you have to practice will sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

Weidii wrote: »
    Same here. it's a pity really, 'cause she's a natural stunner, so she really doesn't need it at all.

I remember when we were teens and she started wearing mascara before me (I'm older) I was kinda worried, so I made her promise never to turn into one of the people who spend loads on makeup and can't leave the house without it on... My request was fruitless though, slowly but surely she became one of 'em.

Oh and while we're on the topic of makeup, I hope ye all go for the cruelty free brands, ie lush :D

Cruelty free? Are not most of them cruelty free??? No?

Don't tell me L'Oreal isn't :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stratospheres

I'm very pale and I get spots and blemishes

But I still only wear make up going out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I wear it all the time, only really bare minimum during the week i.e foundation and mascara but if I dont have it on I dont feel as nice as I do with it on..

The works then if Im going out..

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

I only wear it at the weekend if I am going out. Dont think my skin could take it if I wore it every day.

Advertisement