Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for the Wicklow 200

Options
  • 26-02-2008 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hello,
    I cycle regularly to town from Tallaght on a not so fantastic mountain bike. I was looking at the Wicklow 200 and thought I would like to enter. I have to buy a racing bike (at the low end of the market) and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what bike to buy or any other nuggets of gold in relation to road racing.
    Much appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

There's a good few threads here about people buying their first road bike, so trawl back through the archives and you'll probably get a feel for what's on the market. A new entry level bike is usually around the €500-600 mark, although you might find something cheaper than that online or second hand.

As for training, get started now and you'll be fine. Build it up by increasing the lengths of your spins each week. Since you live in Tallaght, you've got the mountains right on your doorstep, so you can get to know the roads and the climbs well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

Also doing the Wicklow this year for the first time.
    The best advice I can give would be to get a bike with the best climing gears possible, espically as it sounds as you are only just starting to do the serious training.
    I am using a Trek 1.7 with a triple on the front 50,39,30 and 12-27 at the back. this should be enough to get through the day.
    You may not get a triple for the money you want so look for a compact with a 34 inside ring.
    If your MTB is in good nick you may be able to steal a couple of rear sprockets for the day to make life easier.

Advertisement