Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accepting Credit Card Payments

Options
  • 26-02-2008 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place for this...

One website I have contains a directory - normally, I invoice companies and receive payment by cheque. A few companies have asked to be able to pay by credit card.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can accept Credit Card Payments - it isn't necessary to have integration with my website, just the ability for someone to make a payment on an invoice online (like paypal only without the messing!).

Any ideas on how this can be done and what the costs are would be appreciated.

I have a business account with Bank of Ireland by the way..
    Cheers,
    Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Hi Paul,

You will need to set up a merchant account through your bank.

You can either ask for a merchant terminal at you biz address and you can take payments over the phone the same way hotels & airlines do, or you can link it to your site if works better for you.

I am also with BOI and I was quoted 199 euro set up fee, plus 2.5% per transaction (.25c per Laser transaction). I don't have a terminal though so I can tell you how much one of them costs.

Keef

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

How many transactions would you make in a month? Depending on the number you could look into the following

http://www.worldpay.com/
    http://www.realexpayments.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

DonJose,

I would be starting off with a relatively low amount of transactions initially..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

paulocon

Open merchant account through the bank (probaly Elavon if through bank of ireland). Having a physical terminal will cost you rental of 30 odd quid a month. If you can avoid physical terminal, make it very clear to Elavon that you will not be requiring one.

Next, contact secpay in england. They have the best prices for gateway payments.

Secpay will instruct you in what to do from here. Remember, merchant banks are a business and try to make as much money as possible.

They have this thing where if you dont hit the minimum monthly transactions on your account, therefore, making them less money, they bill you another 30 odd quid.

To sum it up, it you have a physical terminal, before you take one credit card transaction, they have hit you for 60 euros a month!

PM if you need any more info.
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you're only dealing in small volumes then a full blown merchant account probably won't be viable.
    Paypal is a reasonable alternative to start with.

A number of options are discussed here:
    http://www.irishwebmasterforum.com/e-commerce/4188-accepting-credit-card-payments.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5 halflife2057

Sage provide a standalone payments processing solution which might suit. it is easy to set up (you need an Ulster Bank Marchant Account though) and it costs a flat fee of €30 per month which gives you 1000 transactions per quarter + whatever your bank charge you. They can do webshop integration if you need to. Sage in Ireland don't really promote this at the moment. they have a subsidary in London (called Protx who will set the whole thing up www.protx.co.uk). Drop me a line if you need a contact name there, but you can sign up from the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

BOI will refer you on to Elavon. BOI sold Euroconex (now Elavon) a number of years ago. Get on to your Business Advisor and ask them to refer you.

Advertisement