Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound Insulation Problems

Options
  • 26-02-2008 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,

I live in a modern Apartment complex and am having problems with noise from my neighbours upstairs - wooden floor and 2 young children.

However despite this the most concerning issue with noise that I am having is in the main bedroom where I can here my neighbours using their ensuite bathroom ( actually using the toilet and flushing ) loudly in my bedroom even with the door of my bathroom closed.

I have been convinced for some time that it is the neighbours upsatirs - now I am beinning to think it is the neighbours under me.

I suppose the two questions I need answered are -

1. Is this common in apartments ?
    2. Is there a solution ?

and

3. All new apartments have a membrane put in on the concrete floor as insulation. If the contractor who laid my carpet actually removed this insulation what would the noise consequences be ? Would the noise from the apartment below be more noticeable to me ???? What I mean to ask is is the mebrane installed by the builders intended to act as a two way barrier ?? I know we all assume it is supposed to stop noise going down through the floor but is it also intended to stop noise coming up through the ceiling ?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

MPete, this is the second thread of a similar nature in this forum, and you also made a third thread in another forum. Please do not cross post or duplicate similar threads please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement