Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canceled flights with Aer Lingus

Options
  • 26-02-2008 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭

I booked flights with Aer Lingus for 2 to the UK a while ago.

Due to circumstances I now have to cancel them. I paid €110 total for them which included €46 taxes and €28 for bags.

Rang to cancel flights and was told would have to be an admin fee for it, fair enough, €20 per person. But am only getting €6 back! I'm only entitled to a refund on the taxes supposedly.

Now I know I could have changed flights etc but there were none in the next year I want at the moment and to change the name of someone on the flight is even more expensive. So I thought best get some of my money back at least.

Basically am just wondering if they are entitled to keep all of my original payment and only refund the value of taxes and charges?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Check the terms and conditions that came with the original booking confirmation. Whatever is on that is what they will hold you to, and since you agreed to it there isn't anything you can do.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

TBH my knowledge of the specifics of flight are weak, but I do know in retail in general that you are virtually never "entitled" to a refund- if the goods or services are as described, its at the mercy of the company.

Anyone know more?

I think the OPs issue, is that Aerlingus say they will refund the taxes and charges. If you don't fly, then they don't have to pay these so you should get it back. Interestingly, Ryanair (and others) pocket all of this and won't even consider refunding the taxes. The total of the charges is €46, but they charge a €20 per person admin fee to refund it. So, out of the €46, there's a 2x€20 charge, leaving €6 to be refunded. Hardly seems worth it, but nothing can be done about it as it's part of the terms of booking the flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

jor el wrote: »
    I think the OPs issue, is that Aerlingus say they will refund the taxes and charges. If you don't fly, then they don't have to pay these so you should get it back. Interestingly, Ryanair (and others) pocket all of this and won't even consider refunding the taxes. The total of the charges is €46, but they charge a €20 per person admin fee to refund it. So, out of the €46, there's a 2x€20 charge, leaving €6 to be refunded. Hardly seems worth it, but nothing can be done about it as it's part of the terms of booking the flight.

I thought ryanair did the same admin fee thing for refunding taxes? I'm sure i've read that on this board before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

• Advertisement

Beano wrote: »
    I thought ryanair did the same admin fee thing for refunding taxes? I'm sure i've read that on this board before.

I haven't used Ryanair in years, and the last time I enquired they told me there was no refund. Seems that the admin fee is almost as much as, or greater than, the tax anyway, so makes it not worth doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I applied for a refund with Ryanair via e-mail (within a month of my unused flights) last summer, they have still to get back to me

Advertisement