Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cardboard boxes - an odd request!

Options
  • 26-02-2008 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

I'm moving out of my apartment next week and I need some cardboard boxes to store my stuff in (going away for at least a year and need to leave stuff in my parents). I went to Tesco in Ballybrack but they told me they don't give out cardboard boxes anymore. I remember when it was crazy prices and they had them behind where you payed so anyone could take them! Has anyone collected cardboard boxes recently from anywhere in South Dublin/ Dublin city centre? I'm not sure where else would be good besides supermarkets but thought I'd ask before we go trying traipsing around trying to find supermarkets that aren't Tesco (they really are everywhere!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

watna wrote: »
    I'm moving out of my apartment next week and I need some cardboard boxes to store my stuff in (going away for at least a year and need to leave stuff in my parents). I went to Tesco in Ballybrack but they told me they don't give out cardboard boxes anymore. I remember when it was crazy prices and they had them behind where you payed so anyone could take them! Has anyone collected cardboard boxes recently from anywhere in South Dublin/ Dublin city centre? I'm not sure where else would be good besides supermarkets but thought I'd ask before we go trying traipsing around trying to find supermarkets that aren't Tesco (they really are everywhere!)

Check with your local Spar or Centra. Ask them if they can put some large boxes aside for you and you'll collect them, might take a couple of days to get enough. Normally they won't have a load of empty boxes lying around, most shops have compactors and put the boxes in those to bail them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I got mine from Spar when I was moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

jdivision wrote: »
    I got mine from Spar when I was moving.

Thanks, there's a big Eurospar near us. I'll try there on the way home. I never realised they were so hard to get!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

The fruit stalls on Moore St are always full of empty boxes at the end of the day. They might have those holes at the bottom though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i got all mine on moore street, wait until it's late and help yourself to as much as you can carry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

irishbird wrote: »
    i got all mine on moore street, wait until it's late and help yourself to as much as you can carry

Hmm, could be a plan. i went to our local spar and the manager there is keping some for us to collect on Saturday. He said they don't keep them anymore because they actually get paid to recycle them. Apparently if you go down at about 10am when deliveries have come in you can get them too.

If that fails I'll give moore street a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Ah tits, I only sent a nasty email around work todayabout people dumping their boxes in my recepption area. Took me nearly an hour to break them all down for recycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Avoid large boxes as they'll be too heavy and difficult to carry or load into a car etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Superquinns are often quite good about having stacks of boxes available for people to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭el_tiddlero

woodies has a place for people to leave and take boxes at their exit..

• Advertisement
Advertisement