Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you leave espresso machine on?

Options
  • 26-02-2008 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

On Saturdays and Sundays I regularly leave the espresso machine on the whole day.

I would make myself an espresso maybe every two or three hours.

When I turn on the machine (Gaggia new baby class) I leave it heat for 15 minutes to make sure all the components are nice and hot.

This is obviously not very environmentally friendly.

Is leaving the machine on like this much worse than turning off and on the machine as needed? (I am assuming yes but just want to get some opinions)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Like yourself, when at home for the day I'd make an espresso every 2-3 hours.
    Due to the relatively small boiler size in the Gaggia I find no need to leave
    it on all day. I'm quiet happy just switching it on as needed and giving it
    approx 15-20 minutes warm up each time.

With their relatively large heating elements and small aluminum boilers
    domestic Gaggia machines are known for their fast warm-up times
    especially compared to industrial espresso machines which tend to have
    larger brass boilers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Yeah same here. When I'm at home, the Gaggia Classic is on more often than not. It would take as much power to keep it ticking over then to turn it on and off, having it re-heat every 2/3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

Sometime I leave mine (Gaggia Coffee Deluxe) on when I'm in the house, but more often than not I turn it on as needed. The element in the boiler is pretty hefty, so I'd imagine that leaving it on all the time would be bad for the environment and your pocket.

Advertisement