Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

feedback isnt working

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Actually guys, thinking about this thread, maybe the real question is 'Should feedback work?' People just assume they're entitled to their opinions and that an appeals channel (such as feedback) exists if such an entitlement is overlooked or infringed upon.

Given that boards is a private entity, and that certain members have been granted mroe power than others, to make this assumption in the first place is quite ridiculous.

If a mod bans in you in the first place, for right or wrong, it's obvious they don't value your input. So why stick around? This process may not be considered fair, but Boards is based on a certain established hierarchy, like most commercial entities.

Of course the question is that if if the above is true, why bother entertaining 'Why was I banned?' threads? Maybe they're not entertained, though this is never stated explicitly; it's made evident through the prevalence of cat pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

hey at least pay your respects to Gonzo killing Ernie on page one. Sheesh :rolleyes:

I also said humour keeps the air clean - who can stay mad when they look into the eyes of a cute fluffy kitten or a sociopathic jim henson character?

In fairness I offered my constructive criticism about the courtroom proposal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

Makes me feel better, at least. I know some people would sooner kill em and skin em, but not me ^_^ so fluffy...

besides you cant honestly say you look at this and feel nothing unless youre a robot!

lolcat.jpg

cutekitten9ah.jpg

:) cat2 received no such cookie and it shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    But many of the feedback comments are met with the stock response ... "if your not happy with the way things are here, go and set up your own website ..."

Oh I see what you did there. Clever. Anyway the point I was making is that questions about bans should be created in helpdesk, not feedback. Feedback should be the forum that ibid requested in the thread I linked
    Then perhaps it might be worth having another way to deal with ban appeals. Maybe have a panel of about 10 people (the admins and some of the smods/mods who have a bit of time to give to this) and let some or all of them meet say twice a week to review all bans.

that would be helpdesk. (apart from the regular meetings)
    TelePaul wrote: »
    Actually guys, thinking about this thread, maybe the real question is 'Should feedback work?' People just assume they're entitled to their opinions and that an appeals channel (such as feedback) exists if such an entitlement is overlooked or infringed upon.

Given that boards is a private entity, and that certain members have been granted mroe power than others, to make this assumption in the first place is quite ridiculous.

If a mod bans in you in the first place, for right or wrong, it's obvious they don't value your input. So why stick around? This process may not be considered fair, but Boards is based on a certain established hierarchy, like most commercial entities.

you realise you are essentially saying "if you don't like it, go set up some other website?", right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

gandalf, can you link to threads you think were unfairly harassed,and ones you think got it and deserved it?
    not being smart,just trying to fully grasp were you think the line is etc

@overheal, dont bother arguing for lolcats,some like em some dont.
    those who dont though...:rolleyes: lol

ps deserves being made fun of imo http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055243691&page=3

feedback working http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055243948
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055244082
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055240502

tbh wrote: »

you realise you are essentially saying "if you don't like it, go set up some other website?", right?

Actually I didn't mean to give the impression that I was advocating this approach, I was just saying that this seems to be the way things are.

Actually I didn't mean to give the impression that I was advocating this approach, I was just saying that this seems to be the way things are.

ok, and I think you're right. that is, broadly, the way things are IMO. I made that comment on another thread, and really I didn't mean it in a tight way, I was saying it to mean "look, you're claiming this site sucks and the mod is a dick, so why don't you just go somewhere else?"

The rules on boards are not the rules on the internet. If you want to discuss where to get drugs, or want to sell tickets or talk about the fcukin <minority>, you can do that. just not on boards.

I think you'll find, as others have said, that where a genuine problem exists, people are helpful, and the OP appreciates it. However, experience has told me that 70% of the threads on this forum will eventually be shown to be the fault of the OP. Sometimes it's a genuine mistake, sometimes the OP blatantly comes in with a hidden agenda, and sometimes they outright lie about what happens. People who've been here a while feel the need - I'm not condoning this - to express their displeasure at this, and sometimes they jump the gun and come to a conclusion before hearing the whole story. If people want to avoid this, all they have to do is post in helpdesk, where only the OP, the admins and Smods (or Cmods or whatever Seamus and Gordon are) can reply.

I get on well enough I thought but I'm open to criticism. You're my first formal complaint ;)

But just for you I'll resist the urge to post up the 'This R serious thread' cat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

ziggy wrote: »
    that is true ziggy,this thread is going along well.
    although i wouldnt rule them out,if two people are talking in a thread and others are they could just ignore the cats in all fairness and keep on their own discussion.
    thats just my 0.02 c.
    of course,that said,i havent posted any because im busy reading this,and dont feel ive any reason to input them.

anyways, has anyone links to threads that they think got slagged and deserved it,and ones that didnt,and evidence of good feedback threads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

@ tbh ... Dude, I dont understand what your saying. Probably my total stupidity, but as an experienced user with a strong opinion on this could you maybe answer the following ...

Should all "why was I banned" threads be in helpdesk? If so why do mods tell people to "take it to feedback" as the standard reply?

Do you think any of the posts (in this thread or any of the many other threads on this) saying there is a problem with feedback have a point? If not, why are there so many posts on this ... are we all just trying to "fight da powha"?

Do you think feedback is working well as it currently is, and if not what changes would you make?

tbh, I would really appreciate your opinion on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

If a mod bans in you in the first place, for right or wrong, it's obvious they don't value your input.

Honestly TelePaul, I doubt people are banned because mods don't value their input, I'd say it's pretty reasonable to assume that people are banned for a breach of the rules most of the time. Their input, or value thereof, doesn't really come into it, unless said input breaks a rule.

@ tbh ... Dude, I dont understand what your saying. Probably my total stupidity, but as an experienced user with a strong opinion on this could you maybe answer the following ...

why do I get the feeling you're leading me somewhere? :) anyway, this is all obviously just my opinion.
    Should all "why was I banned" threads be in helpdesk?

It depends on whether the OP wants other input or not. Maybe the signal to noise ratio is a little low on feedback recently but there's still decent conversations going on. Maybe it could be more tightly modded to remove the obvious dross, but the point in it being unmodded is to show that posters have an input into the running of the site, however small, and all posters are equal in the value of their opinions on what direction boards should take. In here at least, you have more leeway than in other fora. The price you occasionally pay is that you get a few crappy posts. The alternative is something like....oh...say the poker forum ;)
    If so why do mods tell people to "take it to feedback" as the standard reply?

I've made this point myself, I think users should be directed to helpdesk. This is a cultural issue on boards.
    Do you think any of the posts (in this thread or any of the many other threads on this) saying there is a problem with feedback have a point? If not, why are there so many posts on this ... are we all just trying to "fight da powha"?
    threads in feedback are either discussions about the site, like this one; or appeals about bannage, like the poker thread. it seems to me that the vast majority of complaints about feedback are from people complaining about the treatment they got when appealing a ban. That could be solved by simply posting ban-related threads in helpdesk.
    Do you think feedback is working well as it currently is, and if not what changes would you make?

I can see how it's frustrating for people who get torn apart, but, y'know, it's the internet. Make feedback a discussion forum for boards, put a mod or two in, and treat it like all the other fora. Get mods to say "take it to helpdesk"

@ tbh ... not trying to lead you anywhere ... I was just thinking you had a lot of good ideas there :D

Good answers to all my questions ... respect! Cant argue with anything you say ... definitely some really excellent suggestions there. I think there might even be some common ground between us ;)

Honestly TelePaul, I doubt people are banned because mods don't value their input, I'd say it's pretty reasonable to assume that people are banned for a breach of the rules most of the time. Their input, or value thereof, doesn't really come into it, unless said input breaks a rule.

Hey Karl,

Let me clarify - when I say they don't value their input, I mean that you've said something or acted in a way that has pissed them off. It may be something that's explicitly against something in the charter, or against the rules of boards (defamation for example), or it may be that a particular mod just doesn't like the way you're acting. For whatever reason, the mod doesn't like what you're saying. Naturally, not every possible scenario can be covered by a particular forums charter - but what you can and cannot do is largely down to the Moderator in question. A good example would be the fact that Feylya banned me from Instruments for something you didn't deem a bannable offense. But there you go, people are different, what's right for some is wrong for others. There's also a tendency for double standards, again, the continuity (or lack there-of) is down to a particular mod.

tbh wrote: »
    I think you'll find, as others have said, that where a genuine problem exists, people are helpful, and the OP appreciates it. However, experience has told me that 70% of the threads on this forum will eventually be shown to be the fault of the OP. Sometimes it's a genuine mistake, sometimes the OP blatantly comes in with a hidden agenda, and sometimes they outright lie about what happens. People who've been here a while feel the need - I'm not condoning this - to express their displeasure at this, and sometimes they jump the gun and come to a conclusion before hearing the whole story. If people want to avoid this, all they have to do is post in helpdesk, where only the OP, the admins and Smods (or Cmods or whatever Seamus and Gordon are) can reply.

Good point, though I think your figure is a little high.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hey Karl,

Let me clarify - when I say they don't value their input, I mean that you've said something or acted in a way that has pissed them off.

I wouldn't say that. I banned someone before because they were discussing torrents. It didn't piss me off, it just broke the rules. Also there is a big difference between not valuing someone's input and them pissing you off. I value a lot of peoples input but those people can still piss me off.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Gandalf23, I will answer your question. Mods say "take it to feedback" NOT when asked "why was I banned" but when they have explained the reason and the poster begins to argue with the mod, either in public or in PM and gets told "take it to feedback".

I too would be interested in the threads where you think someone got a rough time and didnt deserve it because I'll bet I missed them. I have a strong trigger-point some of you may have noticed. I get a bit wooowooo nutty when someone weak gets picked on by someone strong. I find it very hard not to step up and get involved...
    But if I've missed some threads, point them out because I think feedback, while not perfect, is working alright. We could improve things but we havent agreed a way yet...

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Oops ... I forgot people were only allowed to post in one thread at a time. My sincerest apologies.

This particular guy was posting lolcats for a long time before he was banned. Even one of the admins admitted as much.

There have definitely been many successful resolutions, I admit that. But there (IMHO of course) are ongoing problems with feedback. These caused sometimes by idiots posting irrelevant and stupid pictures and comments. Do you not admit that?

The problem here is that there seems two camps ... the "fight da powa" idiots vs. the "boards.ie fanboys". Both are equally biased and blinkered. Both of these camps are unwilling to listen to or understand the other persons position.

Then there are the rest of the community in the middle attempting to be even handed and willing to listen. Unfortunately, sometimes this group are the silent majority ...
    Indeed.

I always give people a choice.
    I tell them to take it to feedback if they want a large audience, or help desk is they want the problem dealt with by amdins or smods only.
    This was suggested to me by nesf, a fellow AH mod and I think it works.

Most of the time, people will choose to take it to feedback, but they are given the choice.

But, like Dvore said above, this will only happen after the ban has been discussed via PM and the banee is still unhappy.

DeVore wrote: »
    Gandalf23, I will answer your question. Mods say "take it to feedback" NOT when asked "why was I banned" but when they have explained the reason and the poster begins to argue with the mod, either in public or in PM and gets told "take it to feedback".

Hi DeV ... thanks for the direct response to my post.

I dont think what you are saying is entirely accurate ... I have personally been told by mods to "take it to feedback" as a direct response to a suggestion or query I have made by PM. This has been the sum total of the reply to my PM ... "take it to feedback". I believe this is just a stock response given to a lot of PM's be they about bannings or other complaints and issues. IMHO this leads directly to the current problems some people see in feedback.

I agree with what a few people have said here that feedback is not the place to discuss bannings. Helpdesk would be better for that. I also believe that many of the threads in feedback unnecessirarly descend into lolcats and personal point scoring because of a complete lack of respect to the OP and a total lack of strong moderation in this particular forum. Should this forum not be as tightly moderated as PI?
    I too would be interested in the threads where you think someone got a rough time and didnt deserve it because I'll bet I missed them. I have a strong trigger-point some of you may have noticed. I get a bit wooowooo nutty when someone weak gets picked on by someone strong. I find it very hard not to step up and get involved...
    But if I've missed some threads, point them out because I think feedback, while not perfect, is working alright. We could improve things but we havent agreed a way yet...

DeV.

I'm reluctant to do this because the outcome is totally predictable. The "boards.ie fanboys" and other hired help will rush in and pick holes in my examples as a way to impress and support the boss. (Again, may I respectfully suggest you are blinkered and out of touch if you think this does not happen ... ).

What I will say tho is this ... there are examples mentioned in this thread and others current in "feedback" where a LOT of lolcat pictures were tolerated before the poster was warned or even banned. You have to admit this happens. I also believe that trolling by the "boards.ie fanboys" is tolerated a lot more that any trolling by the "fight da powah" fools. Look at the current thread about the guy getting banned in "poker" for almost nothing, where I've seen people in here NOT get banned for much much worse.

My point is that a significant amount (I admit not all ... ) of posters here come with a valid suggestion and/or complaint. I believe they should be treated with respect and not stupid lolcats. If they are obviously idiots, lock the thread.

Against my better judgement here are two examples I found (not comprehensive ... took about 3 minutes ... dont have the proper time to give to this now ... ).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055221133
    To be honest I think Dame was treated disgracefully here. It was embarrassing the way her poll was tampered with, when it could have potentially given interesting results. She was bullied outright. Jerry Springer audience tickets anyone?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055238581
    Here is another thread where a long standing member comes with what he believes to be a valid point. The lolcats start in post 3. Was there any sanction taken against anyone here? Doubt it. I suggest this is belitteling the original point of the post.

This is not comprehensive DeV, I admit that, but again I respectfully suggest that if you think bullying, extreme disrespect, and picking on weak/inexperienced posters does not happen you are blinkered and out of touch. And I say this not to get at you in any way ... I really really respect you and the fantastic community you have created. In fact I'd love you to come talk to my post-grad class sometime ... this is an excellent site and I try to contribute as positively as possible when I can. Please dont see my feedback as criticism in any way. Nothing personal here ... its just honest feedback said straight the way I see it. Remember, sometimes it takes a true friend to say the hard things and be truly honest.

Terry wrote: »
    I always give people a choice.
    I tell them to take it to feedback if they want a large audience, or help desk is they want the problem dealt with by amdins or smods only.
    This was suggested to me by nesf, a fellow AH mod and I think it works.

Most of the time, people will choose to take it to feedback, but they are given the choice.

This is an excellent approach. I still think that feedback is not the appropriate place to discuss and debate bannings tho tbh ...
    Terry wrote: »
    But, like Dvore said above, this will only happen after the ban has been discussed via PM and the banee is still unhappy.

With respect this does not always happen. I have personal experience of being told "take it to feedback" without any discussion of any kind ...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055238581
    Here is another thread where a long standing member comes with what he believes to be a valid point. The lolcats start in post 3. Was there any sanction taken against anyone here? Doubt it. I suggest this is belitteling the original point of the post.

I know you may think I'm a fanboy and trying to impress the boss for picking a hole in your argument but here it goes. Have you read that thread? It actually had quite a positive outcome. Some people said how they thought "Thanks" responses were just postcount++ type responses, others agreed with the op. There was talk about different ways thanks could be given out and in the end an admin (I think it was you DeV) said they would look into the thanks system that was suggested. I'd call that a pretty successful feedback thread.

Is the odd off-topic nonsense really that bad it doesn't de-rail the whole thread?

I know you may think I'm a fanboy and trying to impress the boss for picking a hole in your argument but here it goes. Have you read that thread? It actually had quite a positive outcome. Some people said how they thought "Thanks" responses were just postcount++ type responses, others agreed with the op. There was talk about different ways thanks could be given out and in the end an admin (I think it was you DeV) said they would look into the thanks system that was suggested. I'd call that a pretty successful feedback thread.

Is the odd off-topic nonsense really that bad it doesn't de-rail the whole thread?

No your definitely NOT a stupid fanboy. I have a lot of respect for the way you act and moderate here man. I've also had a few great drunken nights in Sligo :D

To be totally honest I didnt read the whole thread because of a severe lack of time. I'm working on some head wrecking stuff here ... totally honest answer is that my replies to this thread are just a distraction from work (altho I am being honest and speaking from the heart trying to contribute positively to the community).

The point is that the lolcats started in post 3. Of a fairly serious thread.

DeVore wrote:

Shall we start brainstorming?

Stevoman proposed a sourt of 'Court Order' style of forum. While I can see some bugs with this, its a thought.

I would start by documenting the evidence a bit better. Often a plaintiff will post here and never link to the thread in question, or a mod will have deleted the suspect post.

As for the Feedback forum itself; it strikes me there isn't a charter per se. And it is unmoderated: the only one's able to delete/edit/ban are the administrators.

While I agree there needs to be freedom to speak your mind, there also needs to be some kind of moderation, to stop random spam (off the wall lolcats [mine were on-topic or so i thought]) and personal abuse. Those people in charge of moderating in feedback should not be existing moderators and/or should not moderate any other forums. "fMods", who will need to operate with a lot of leniancy I suppose, but they still need to be present to keep feedback threads on track. Thats not to say they make any verdicts but just keep the threads tidied up while the mods and admins in the debate adress the topic. Snip out the needless spam for example, and protect the rights of the plaintiff to fair advisement.

?

I wouldn't say that. I banned someone before because they were discussing torrents. It didn't piss me off, it just broke the rules. Also there is a big difference between not valuing someone's input and them pissing you off. I value a lot of peoples input but those people can still piss me off.

Just read the next line or two...possibly three.

Just read the next line or two...possibly three.

I read the whole of your post. What you're saying is that because a mod bans you there is no point in ever going back into the forum because the mod doesn't value their opinion or doesn't like what they are saying, right? I wouldn't agree with that, the ban relates to one issue (maybe a number of issues) so the mod doesn't like what they are saying in that instance and the only reason is because it breaks the rules.

What does it even matter if the mod doesn't like what you are saying? As long as what you are saying doesn't break the rules then you're fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

stevoman wrote: »
    I mean treads like this Beruthiel ...........

http://usenet.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055241397
    Hah? :eek:

Cazzy posted at 21.40

At 21.44 myself and tSubh responded simultaneously, helpfully I would suggest, and certainly cazzy seemed to think so, as (within seconds) she said she would take our advice, and thanked us.

I admit that I then made a joking comment about the fact that tSubh and myself had posted within seconds of one another by asking "Anyone for a game of snap?!", and there were a few silly replies.

Maybe I shouldn't have, but in fairness the question had been asked and answered and imo the thread was already finished in real terms by that time. I have interacted with cazzy on several other fora here, and I certainly had no intention of "antagonising" or in any way ridiculing her. For the record, it's not my habit to do either with GENUINE posters in Feedback, whether I have ever seen them before or not, though I'm certainly guilty of the odd smart / silly comment in this forum under other circumstances.
    stevoman wrote: »
    okay look im just trying to voice an opinion. If you guys dont think there's any need for improvment thats fine.
    I'm not saying that, I just don't think you've picked a very good example of a thread being derailed. But maybe that's just me being blinkered because if it WAS derailed, I'm the guilty party.
    How long did it take to ban this guy?
    You need to remember that only the 5 Admins (6 now with CuLT?) have the authority to ban in this forum. As they are all high-powered nerds professionals, they don't actually spend every minute of every day watching for the next post to pop up in Feedback.
    togster wrote: »
    You see what happens in these threads is that people refuse to see the others point of view.
    Yes. That does happen, too often tbh. Mind you, this is one of the ways in which boards.ie reflects RL only too well! :rolleyes:
    The mods frequently tell people to "take it to feedback" when PM'ed ...
    Terry's response quoted above makes more sense to me, certainly.
    Should all "why was I banned" threads be in helpdesk?
    You will notice that there is a sticky on the Feedback forum with the title: "This is for FEEDBACK. If you have a query, complaint or need help, use the HELPDESK."

ASSUMING people have read that, and still post here rather than Helpdesk, I can only assume they want other users and mods to comment on the case (sometimes perhaps they are hoping for support?) OR do actually want to publicly fight teh powah. After all, in Helpdesk, they can ONLY interact with the "authority" figures.

My guess, though, is that most of them haven't bothered to read it.
    If so why do mods tell people to "take it to feedback" as the standard reply?
    I don't know if it's the standard reply; if it is, it's not a great one. I do see it on threads now and again, BUT usually when a user starts to argue with a mod as to whether or not the charter is being interpreted correctly, or whether such-and-such a thing should be allowed under the charter for that forum, or similar ... which might appropriately enough be discussed in Feedback, and is slightly different from "Why was I banned?" or "I want to appeal my ban!". Admittedly, sometimes there is a thin enough line between the two, or they become inextricably mixed up.
    Do you think any of the posts (in this thread or any of the many other threads on this) saying there is a problem with feedback have a point?
    Yes, but I also think that you are exaggerating the problem ... I tend to agree with this fella ...
    ...because I think feedback, while not perfect, is working alright. We could improve things but we havent agreed a way yet...
    (lick, lick! :p)

Seriously, though, Gandalf, as an ordinary user, I think it works well enough most of the time. It gets too cluttered with stuff that should be in Helpdesk. Who posts it here? The ordinary users, not the admins. Why? See above ... possibly, admittedly just my personal opinion.

Sometimes people jump a bit too quickly on people who raise complaints. Sometimes I feel like telling them to cop on, but it's not my place to do so. If they get too out of hand, DeV tells them to cop on. When DeV tells them to cop on, they tend to remember being told! ;)

Very often, though, people, even those with quite genuine issues / grievances, arrive in with a poor attitude shouting about their "rights". Do you know something, I'm recently getting sick of hearing Irish people shout about their rights to everything from owning SUVs per household to getting a First Class Honours qualification because they "paid" for it ... doesn't seem to matter whether they actually put in the work, or deserved that result! Whatever happened to responsibilities? ... or to common sense, for that matter?

Whatever happened to courtesy, for that matter? If you go into a shop, and someone gives you the wrong change, do you shout "You've given me the wrong change, you stupid / Nazi shop assistant! I have a RIGHT to the correct change?" .... or do you say "Excuse me, I think you've made a mistake. Can you check, please?" (No grovelling or kneeling required!). I'm sure that you, like me, would choose the second option. Why should boards.ie be different?

Having been in a couple of countries where even basic human rights were the preserve of the elite or the lucky, and a mere aspiration to the majority, I will admit that personally the constant whinging about "rights" tends to get under my skin, and even tempts me to lolcats at times. I should probably have more patience, but there you are ... I'm human.

But yes, I don't think Feedback always works as well as it could / should. There have been numerous debates here as to how to improve it / what is the perfect solution. I've seen some interesting thoughts and suggestions, but never one solution which everybody, or even the majority, could agree upon. So the input which the admins are getting on the subject is very mixed, and judging by DeV's comment above, they themselves are still thinking about what might be the best way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Hah? :eek:

Cazzy posted at 21.40

At 21.44 myself and tSubh responded simultaneously, helpfully I would suggest, and certainly cazzy seemed to think so, as (within seconds) she said she would take our advice, and thanked us.

I admit that I then made a joking comment about the fact that tSubh and myself had posted within seconds of one another by asking "Anyone for a game of snap?!", and there were a few silly replies.

Maybe I shouldn't have, but in fairness the question had been asked and answered and imo the thread was already finished in real terms by that time. I have interacted with cazzy on several other fora here, and I certainly had no intention of "antagonising" or in any way ridiculing her. For the record, it's not my habit to do either with GENUINE posters in Feedback, whether I have ever seen them before or not, though I'm certainly guilty of the odd smart / silly comment in this forum under other circumstances.

I'm not saying that, I just don't think you've picked a very good example of a thread being derailed. But maybe that's just me being blinkered because if it WAS derailed, I'm the guilty party.

You need to remember that only the 5 Admins (6 now with CuLT?) have the authority to ban in this forum. As they are all high-powered nerds professionals, they don't actually spend every minute of every day watching for the next post to pop up in Feedback.

Yes. That does happen, too often tbh. Mind you, this is one of the ways in which boards.ie reflects RL only too well! :rolleyes:

Terry's response quoted above makes more sense to me, certainly.

You will notice that there is a sticky on the Feedback forum with the title: "This is for FEEDBACK. If you have a query, complaint or need help, use the HELPDESK."

ASSUMING people have read that, and still post here rather than Helpdesk, I can only assume they want other users and mods to comment on the case (sometimes perhaps they are hoping for support?) OR do actually want to publicly fight teh powah. After all, in Helpdesk, they can ONLY interact with the "authority" figures.

My guess, though, is that most of them haven't bothered to read it.

I don't know if it's the standard reply; if it is, it's not a great one. I do see it on threads now and again, BUT usually when a user starts to argue with a mod as to whether or not the charter is being interpreted correctly, or whether such-and-such a thing should be allowed under the charter for that forum, or similar ... which might appropriately enough be discussed in Feedback, and is slightly different from "Why was I banned?" or "I want to appeal my ban!". Admittedly, sometimes there is a thin enough line between the two, or they become inextricably mixed up.

Yes, but I also think that you are exaggerating the problem ... I tend to agree with this fella ...
    (lick, lick! :p)

Seriously, though, Gandalf, as an ordinary user, I think it works well enough most of the time. It gets too cluttered with stuff that should be in Helpdesk. Who posts it here? The ordinary users, not the admins. Why? See above ... possibly, admittedly just my personal opinion.

Sometimes people jump a bit too quickly on people who raise complaints. Sometimes I feel like telling them to cop on, but it's not my place to do so. If they get too out of hand, DeV tells them to cop on. When DeV tells them to cop on, they tend to remember being told! ;)

Very often, though, people, even those with quite genuine issues / grievances, arrive in with a poor attitude shouting about their "rights". Do you know something, I'm recently getting sick of hearing Irish people shout about their rights to everything from owning SUVs per household to getting a First Class Honours qualification because they "paid" for it ... doesn't seem to matter whether they actually put in the work, or deserved that result! Whatever happened to responsibilities? ... or to common sense, for that matter?

Whatever happened to courtesy, for that matter? If you go into a shop, and someone gives you the wrong change, do you shout "You've given me the wrong change, you stupid / Nazi shop assistant! I have a RIGHT to the correct change?" .... or do you say "Excuse me, I think you've made a mistake. Can you check, please?" (No grovelling or kneeling required!). I'm sure that you, like me, would choose the second option. Why should boards.ie be different?

Having been in a couple of countries where even basic human rights were the preserve of the elite or the lucky, and a mere aspiration to the majority, I will admit that personally the constant whinging about "rights" tends to get under my skin, and even tempts me to lolcats at times. I should probably have more patience, but there you are ... I'm human.

But yes, I don't think Feedback always works as well as it could / should. There have been numerous debates here as to how to improve it / what is the perfect solution. I've seen some interesting thoughts and suggestions, but never one solution which everybody, or even the majority, could agree upon. So the input which the admins are getting on the subject is very mixed, and judging by DeV's comment above, they themselves are still thinking about what might be the best way to go.
    Long rant aside, the shop analogy is one worth taking into account.

I've lifted bans and apologised to people when they have politely pointed out that I was mistaken.

One instance occured last week.
    I can't remember the particulars and I'm not going looking through my PM's, but I know I made a mistake and apologised for it after a polite discussion via PM.

Advertisement