Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

newbie question about tires/alloys/wheels

Options
  • 26-02-2008 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Im buying a 04 civic from a Honda garage and they are going to put four new tires on the car.

I was thinking of buying some alloys for the car shortly, my question is can i use the new tires the garage are supplying on the alloys I buy,

If not am I better waiting till i have the alloys and asking the garage to put the tires on them.

Please excuse my total lack of knowledge in this area.

Cheers

Eoin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

It all depends on the size of the Alloys you get. Normally for the asthetic value, the norm tends to be to go for a larger diameter alloy and as a result, a lower profile tyre.
    If your current steel wheels are 14" for example, then you'll need to get 14" alloys to match the tyres. 14" alloys look fairly kak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Yep, pick your alloys and then ask about the tyres.

Also, bear in mind that the larger the alloys, the more expensive the tyres so you can't bump yourself from 14"s to 16"s without clearing it with the dealer first - they may only have budgeted for 4 x 14"s...

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Would the OP need to buy the alloys within a certain time frame, say for example the OP gets the garage to put tyres on the alloys after they are got, but its 3 months down the line, will the garage stand by the agreement?
    If it were me id consider looking for the price of the tyres off the car now, then take care of the alloys myself. Or instead of getting tyres at all off the garage look to get a spoiler?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

HJL wrote: »
    Would the OP need to buy the alloys within a certain time frame, say for example the OP gets the garage to put tyres on the alloys after they are got, but its 3 months down the line, will the garage stand by the agreement?
    If it were me id consider looking for the price of the tyres off the car now, then take care of the alloys myself. Or instead of getting tyres at all off the garage look to get a spoiler?

Depends on the deal. I'd have no problem agreeing to put a set of tyres at anytime as long as I'd budgeted for them. I've put tyres on a customer's trade-in because their tyres were bald and I didn't want them driving on bald tyres over the winter while their new car came in.

Whatever you agree, get it in writing.

The garage are probably putting new tyres on to the car to make it road legal and protect themselves against negligence charges (or they're just really nice people), for that reason I'd probably take the tyres rather than trying to swap for spoilers etc. The tyres are probably needed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

cheers for the advice

I was pushing my look asking for new tires at the time of buying, didnt expect him to change them , but he said he would include them for nothing, probably costing him feck all anyway.

ill ask him if i can pay the difference for tires for the alloys.

thanks again to all

• Advertisement
Advertisement