Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on laying drain and sewerage pipes

• 26-02-2008 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

hi all, am going to be laying the pipes to soakways and for the sewerage pipes to the septic tank and onto the percolation area in the next few weeks so wanted to start with getting advice and where to read up and know what i am about to let myself in for!
    had a quick look through the threads but didn't find anything specific.
    What I should watch out for? Important things to consider/ remember.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

If gradients are too low the pipes will get blocked, if too great it will cause syphonage. Lubricate the rubber seal on wavin pipes with washing up liquid before connecting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

the pipes that will be carrying the 'solids liquids and gasses':) need to be at 1:40 slope and care taken with proper bedding and cover before backfill.

Use a proper lub for the joints, eg Griffon P-20, the washing up liquid drys out at the rubber/pipe interface and can make opening the joint again very tricky if u need to while laying the pipes.

Provide for AJ's and inspection chambers.

Are u doing an air test or water test for certification purposes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MickLimk

Run absolutely nothing but rain water into the soak aways! I had a washing machine and a downstairs bathroom sink running into a soak pit with the rain water. This completely backed up due to the gunk that came from the washing machine. I now have to change this over to run into the septic tank and it also looks like I'll have to dig up some of the soak pit to get the whole thing flowing again...

Do it right the first time! Have a look at Part H of the Building Regs to make sure that you don't miss anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

You should get hold of homebond manual for this and the rest of the build . Out of print now sadly but new edition imminent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

If you could upload a copy of the plans or a link to where u have it uploadewd with how you intend to do the layout, then we could look at it and suggest any changes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 limerickbuild

Attached is a copy of the site layout and I have marked some Soakways for water runoffs from gutters with S.

THen the septic has 1 line from behind house (light blue colour) and 1 line coming across the front of house for the bathroom/ensuites (water/sewerage) and Kitchen/utility grey water lines.

Site itself it sloped downwards from back of site to road. so i'm bringing all soakways with fall of land.

Should u keep these soakways away from septic ( i.e. should i move the one that is behind/above the septic tank.
    Going for a precast concrete septic tank.
    Found a neighbour who has done 2 houses recently who i might be able to ask to help out and give advise aswell.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I personally would connect the pipe serving the proposed soakaway near the septic tank, to the next one, directly in front of the dwelling.

reasons.

1. both proposed soakaways are only taken a small section of roof, so doubling up is not a major issue
    2. keeping soakaways away from septic tanks is a good idea, you might compromise the soil consistency around the septic tank the way its currently laid out, especially considering the fall of land.

Advertisement