Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boyfriends 21st - Crazy about aircraft/flying !!!

• 26-02-2008 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hey !

This could be in the wrong section altogether but I'm gonna give it a shot in hope of getting a few ideas/opinions !!! :confused:

The boyfriend is 21 in May and I'm trying to figure out what I could get him for it ... I know he's crazy about aircrafts, flying, etc. (wants to go and do his pilot training in the next few years ... I know absolutely nothing about the whole area) and was just wondering would anyone have any cool ideas for a present that would have some sort of connection to it ??? He's had a flyiing lesson given to him before ... no other ideas are coming to mind !!! :(

Thanks !!! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Jakey

Helicopter Lesson,
    Microlight lesson
    Flight Simulator for PC
    There's a few idea's on this site
    http://shop.pilotwarehouse.co.uk/category98000023.html

Best of Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Helicopter lesson
    Microlight lesson
    Gliding lesson
    Parachute jump
    RIAT (Airshow)
    Farnborough Air Show
    London Air Show (indoors only)
    Flyer Professional Flight Training Show (not the most exciting, but useful)

That's all I can think of at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

What part of the country are you in? That would help us help you narrow down your search..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

I am a pilot and I wish someone would buy me one of these.

http://www.realsimulation.co.uk/index.php

They offer vouchers for various simulators.

If he wants to be an airline pilot one day he would love a session in these sims. I know it's in England and quite expensive but it's his 21st AND you can go along and watch unlike say in a flying lesson.

Hmm, I think it's time my wife 'accidentally' came across this website:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

RIAT tickets for sure. Worlds biggest military air show. 300+ aircraft from 30+ countries, with 9 hours of flying displays each of the two days and 2 miles of static aircraft.

www.airtattoo.com for more info. Not on till July though. Just a hint though, you won't see it all in one day, you need to do the two days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Suzywuzy

Wow ... thanks ... I've a fair bit to look at here. Liking the idea of getting away for a few days so he can go to one of the airshows or something. That would be cool. Hey, I'd even be interested in it too !!! Haha :D

Thanks, if ya come up with any other cool ideas, feel free to add 'em !!! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

cp251 wrote: »

If he wants to be an airline pilot one day he would love a session in these sims. I know it's in England and quite expensive but it's his 21st AND you can go along and watch unlike say in a flying lesson.

I'd kill for a go at one of those sims....savage present!

Really interested in looking into this for his birthday ??? Was having a quick look between jobs in work at the different vouchers, not sure which one would be best to go for though ??? :confused: Considering I'm pretty broke at the minute !!! :( Wonder do Ryanair/AerLingus fly to any where near here ???
    vulcan57 wrote: »
    RIAT tickets for sure. Worlds biggest military air show. 300+ aircraft from 30+ countries, with 9 hours of flying displays each of the two days and 2 miles of static aircraft.

www.airtattoo.com for more info. Not on till July though. Just a hint though, you won't see it all in one day, you need to do the two days.

Also interested in this ... sounds interesting alright. Any ideas on flights to here or what would be the easiest form of transport ??? Hmmmmm. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Featherl

check out the website greatgifts.ie nearly sure thats the right one

Ryanair fly directly to Bournemouth. As for the Air Tattoo Bristol is the handiest airport for it. I'll be going to that airshow this year.

As for the choice? Really you know him better than us. The 737 sim is a good bet. The F4 phantom sim is based in Yorkshire only and I suspect it's probably not as 'realistic' as the airliner. But if he's into the military stuff, maybe. If he's into helis, maybe the S61. I would imagine really that it's a choice between the 737 or 747. I would choose the 737 in part because I see myself flying them in the near future. So if he has ambitions to fly for Ryanair? I 'flew' the Aer Lingus sim at Dublin airport once. I was amazed at how realistic it was. The crash at the end wasn't so realistic though :D luckily.

On the other hand the 747 is quite interesting and I suspect I will never fly one for real so that would be a most interesting opportunity.

It's up to you, the 747 is more expensive though.

• Advertisement

Ryanair fly directly to Bournemouth. As for the Air Tattoo Bristol is the handiest airport for it. I'll be going to that airshow this year.

As for the choice? Really you know him better than us. The 737 sim is a good bet. The F4 phantom sim is based in Yorkshire only and I suspect it's probably not as 'realistic' as the airliner. But if he's into the military stuff, maybe. If he's into helis, maybe the S61. I would imagine really that it's a choice between the 737 or 747. I would choose the 737 in part because I see myself flying them in the near future. So if he has ambitions to fly for Ryanair? I 'flew' the Aer Lingus sim at Dublin airport once. I was amazed at how realistic it was. The crash at the end wasn't so realistic though :D luckily.

On the other hand the 747 is quite interesting and I suspect I will never fly one for real so that would be a most interesting opportunity.

It's up to you, the 747 is more expensive though.

Nice one ... thats a fair bit of information ... I'll check it all out !!! :D

Heard him bragging about how beautiful some military aircraft was ... as you can see it went in one ear and out the other for me !!! :rolleyes:

I guess I'll have to pay more attention in the next few weeks !!!

Suzywuzy wrote: »
    Nice one ... thats a fair bit of information ... I'll check it all out !!! :D

Heard him bragging about how beautiful some military aircraft was ... as you can see it went in one ear and out the other for me !!! :rolleyes:

I guess I'll have to pay more attention in the next few weeks !!!

You sound like my wife;) Goes in one ear out the other. I suppose I could be accused of being a plane bore:D

Next time he mentions flying. Pretend to be interested and ask what kind of aircraft would he like to fly or would he prefer to be an airline pilot or military. That should give you a clue. Try to stay awake when he goes on and on and on. My wife doesn't even pretend anymore:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Suzywuzy wrote: »
    Really interested in looking into this for his birthday ??? Was having a quick look between jobs in work at the different vouchers, not sure which one would be best to go for though ??? :confused: Considering I'm pretty broke at the minute !!! :( Wonder do Ryanair/AerLingus fly to any where near here ???

Also interested in this ... sounds interesting alright. Any ideas on flights to here or what would be the easiest form of transport ??? Hmmmmm. :cool:

For RIAT.

Fly to Bristol, then get the shuttle bus from the airport to Bristol Temple Meads railway station where you get a train to Swindon (about 40 mins). I'd stay in Swindon as there are shuttle buses running out to RAF Fairford on both days from the bus station starting at 07:00.

vulcan57 wrote: »
    For RIAT.

Fly to Bristol, then get the shuttle bus from the airport to Bristol Temple Meads railway station where you get a train to Swindon (about 40 mins). I'd stay in Swindon as there are shuttle buses running out to RAF Fairford on both days from the bus station starting at 07:00.

Nice one ... that's a great help !!! :D Cheers !!!
    You sound like my wife;) Goes in one ear out the other. I suppose I could be accused of being a plane bore:D

Next time he mentions flying. Pretend to be interested and ask what kind of aircraft would he like to fly or would he prefer to be an airline pilot or military. That should give you a clue. Try to stay awake when he goes on and on and on. My wife doesn't even pretend anymore:(

Haha thanks !!! :p I'll try that out, be seeing him later for a few drinks for a friends birthday so hopefully he won't even remember talking about it come tomorrow morning !!! :D

Advertisement