Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost deposit with hotel for wedding

• 26-02-2008 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I posted a blog on this site earlier today and was advised by a reader to place the question on rights (whether we have any) here.

I wrote this blog for a number of reasons –

1. Warn couples looking for a wedding venue to be VERY careful if you are considering the SNIPPED hotel in SNIPPED
    2. to vent my own pure frustration at the Management’s lack of courtesy and respect for my sister when planning her wedding

The story is as follows. My sister and her Fiancé booked the SNIPPED hotel as their venue last year in October. They ended up paying a deposit of €2,000, which was well over the minimum requirement of €600 as they wanted to pay off some of the total value in advance. They were delighted with their choice until they attended her Fiancé’s Christmas party in the SNIPPED in December. The service was appalling and those she knew attending the party laughed at the service. She was so upset that night that she spoke to the Event manager on duty and again the following morning. They decided immediately to cancel the wedding in the SNIPPED as they felt they could not depend on the service and they were not about to jeopardise their special day on a promise from the Manager that had supervised the previous night.

This is really where the drama and months of empty promises began as the Event manager from that night said that there would be no problem in getting their deposit back. They met with him and the Assistant Manager on another occasion and they advised them that they would have to get sign off from the Director(s) to pay back the deposit but that they could see no problem. This line has been used numerous times when calls were answered by Management. I (Bride’s sister) then took over the conversations as my sister was getting too stressed out. I was promised that the situation would be reviewed at a Director’s meeting on February 18th. The General Manager was courteous and answered my calls but then passed me over to the Director – SNIPPED. SNIPPED refused to answer my calls for 2 days and when I eventually got through to him, he acted as if he had no idea what I was on about and was extremely rude and dismissive on the phone, not what you would expect from a Director of a SNIPPED hotel.

In summary, he refused to return any of my sister’s deposit, as they cancelled within 12 months of the wedding. They are not willing to return the extra €1,400 that they paid to the hotel and this is what I find the most frustrating.

I am not writing this in the hope that I will get my sister’s money back, I feel it is necessary to let others out there know what they are dealing with.

What do you think ?

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Legal advice cannot be give here and not only that the items that have been SNIPPED above have been removed and are wholly attributable to the Original Poster.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement