Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The New Shape Passat - Opinions

Options
  • 26-02-2008 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

As some of ye may remember from earlier threads, I've had a lot of bother with my 02 1.9 TDI Auto VW Passat. It's a great car when it's running well, but I've only had it 18 months and it's already cost me almost 5k in maintenance costs! :( At the same time, a mate has a similar one (only difference in fact is his is manual) and it runs fine so I think at this stage I got a proverbial lemon.

The last straw came last night when I finally got it back after 3 weeks of being in with the garage. Aside from the rather substantial cost, and the fact it was meant to be only in with them for 3 days, it's STILL not right - the red brake/warning symbol starts beeping and flashing when you start the car and move off and won't clear unless you turn the ignition off and on again, plus the brake pedal is "kicking back" a bit when say you turn into a parking space.

So I've decided there's no more point trying to get this fixed. I've spent too much time and money on it and it's time to move on. I've found a 2005 SE 2.0 TDi 140 DSG Auto Passat (new shape) on a UK site for 10 grand stg. Convert this to Euro and it works out at 13k. Add on VRT (7 grand according to the revenue site! :mad:) and that makes it about 20k.

My plan is to ask the garage to import it, VRT it and then we'll swap them (he seems agreeable to this), but naturally I'll have to fork out a bit in the difference (given all the hassle I've had with my current one, I plan this to be as little as possible) but does that seem a good price for the 05? What about issues with them? I've heard of problems with the electric handbrake etc..

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

You've spent €5k in 18 months on a 02 Passat:eek:...
    ...and now you're looking for advice about buying ANOTHER ONE!! :eek::eek:

Jaysus no wonder the VW dealers in this country are such an arrogant bunch when guys like you are brainwashed to such an extent...

I don't have first hand experience of the new-gen model but what I've heard (mainly here!:D) isn't good...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

pburns wrote: »

Jaysus no wonder the VW dealers in this country are such an arrogant bunch when guys like you are brainwashed to such an extent...

I don't have first hand experience of the new-gen model but what I've heard (mainly here!:D) isn't good...

Well now I know they're nowhere as near as bulletproof from a reliability standpoint (my own experiences aside) as their rep would suggest, but as I mentioned I do have a mate (and know a few others) with one and they never have any probs.

But if you can suggest a similarly specced, sized (boot in particular), Automatic (must be automatic) diesel then by all means point me in the right direction :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The 2.0Tdi 140bhp DSG version is very nice to drive. Great poke from that engine and the DSG changes seamlessly.

Have had some recalls for rear window de-misters not being earthed properly coming through recently, but I think that is on recent cars.

Handbrake is about the only thing I can think of on the new model. I know some early 1.9's did have some electrical problems. May have affected the 2.0Tdi's as well but there were never enough around to pinpoint an issue. I'd say any problems a 2005 had will have been rectified by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Before long you'll have a lot of people on here lambasting the Passat!
    There are issues with the electronic hand brake alright, and a rattly dash. Other than that they're a good car, but the problems are common rather than exceptional.
    The 2 litre TDi uses a bit of oil, so check often.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Well now I know they're nowhere as near as bulletproof from a reliability standpoint (my own experiences aside) as their rep would suggest, but as I mentioned I do have a mate (and know a few others) with one and they never have any probs.

But if you can suggest a similarly specced, sized (boot in particular), Automatic (must be automatic) diesel then by all means point me in the right direction :)

Well if boot size is a factor, surely the Octavia is the only choice :) ( it was always going to happen when you mentioned the B word)

• Advertisement

Biro wrote: »
    Before long you'll have a lot of people on here lambasting the Passat!
    There are issues with the electronic hand brake alright, and a rattly dash. Other than that they're a good car, but the problems are common rather than exceptional.
    The 2 litre TDi uses a bit of oil, so check often.
    My 02 is a good car.. it's comfy, economical, huge boot and rear seat area, and it has all the toys (save for Cruise Control). Like I said, when it's running right it's perfect!

Unfortunately though I think I've just lost confidence in it. Given all I've spent so far, I think it's better to cut my losses, start over and try and pay as little as possible (while still getting a good car/deal - hey like everyone, right? :)) in the process.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Well if boot size is a factor, surely the Octavia is the only choice :) ( it was always going to happen when you mentioned the B word)
    True, and I should've seen it coming :) I prefer saloons though to be honest. Of course there's always the Superb which is basically a slightly longer last-gen Passat from looking at it.

Ideally I'd like a new-style A6 but THAT'S not gonna happen!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Yep the superb will be good value and the boot should be massive.Hers a lowdown of the engines - same as passat really.The boot should be ginormous altogether.ITs apparently the worlrs first saloon/hatch

http://new.skoda-auto.com/COM/about/info/news/News/Pages/2008_08_Geneva.aspx

Didnt realise you meant the old superb which is also a good car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭fabsoul

lol they are arrogant bunch alright.

It's a little known fact, but the Passat boot is actually bigger than the Octavia boot! Imagine! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Biro wrote: »
    It's a little known fact, but the Passat boot is actually bigger than the Octavia boot! Imagine! :D

Tosh! I've got 2 Passats and a Jetta currently in my boot - and there is still room for a LandCruiser :D:D

It probably is bigger in the Passat, but not as usuable due to it being a saloon. From memory the boot in the Superb is pretty vast as well.

R.O.R wrote: »
    Tosh! I've got 2 Passats and a Jetta currently in my boot - and there is still room for a LandCruiser :D:D

It probably is bigger in the Passat, but not as usuable due to it being a saloon. From memory the boot in the Superb is pretty vast as well.

If the usability of a Passat boot is in question, then it's a Transporter you need!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

+1

Get yourself a nice Accord, Mazda 6, Avensis etc instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

the new passats imo look great. if i were you i would either get a passat or a peugeot 407 1.6 hdi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 nurburgking

JHMEG wrote: »
    +1

Why, the new passat is rated better than them by the motoring press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Why, the new passat is rated better than them by the motoring press.
    5 thousand reasons (in 18 months).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

I had one(07 2.0 tdi) as a company car. In my opinion they are rubbish , but then again I had a (03)mondeo before so I had been spoiled.

JHMEG wrote: »
    +1

None of which (based on a quick search on Carzone) come in automatic variants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I've found a 2005 SE 2.0 TDi 140 DSG Auto Passat (new shape) on a UK site for 10 grand stg.

Check out this one, 2006, for just over £8k. They are not hiding the license plate which is a good thing.

http://tinyurl.com/38sxyv

DonJose wrote: »
    Check out this one, 2006, for just over £8k. They are not hiding the license plate which is a good thing.

http://tinyurl.com/38sxyv

Looks ideal, but for that price/spec/year/mileage there must be a catch?
    Is it one that was sitting in flood waters last summer maybe?

Will check it out anyway.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My uncle had a 07 Passat that spend more time in the garage than my old car which I had for over 4 years. Numerous false engine management warnings telling him bring it back to the dealer straight away. He did bring it back only for them to clear the warnings and eventually upgrade the ECU software. As already mentioned the electronic hand brake is a disaster, will or won't engage depending on the mood it was in, spent a week in the garage before they got it sorted. Also had to have something done to the wiper motor as part of a recall afaik.

Nothing major you might say but these things were still tedious all the same and should be better from a company that spends so much time and money on telling people how reliable and superior their products are. But it just shows you the power of advertising as my uncle was brain washed into thinking he bought a lemon and traded it for a brand new one only last month.

The Passat is not a bad car but just like the Golf there are many other cars out there in the same class that do the job just as good if not better. It seems alot of people buy into this ethos that VW = Superior Quality, which imo simply isn't true.

I would also bet that if the words "VW Passat" were replaced with "Renault Laguna" or "Alfa Romeo 156" some of the posts about tolerable issues here would most likely be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Looks ideal, but for that price/spec/year/mileage there must be a catch?
    Is it one that was sitting in flood waters last summer maybe?

Will check it out anyway.. :)

Well its a private sale which will make it cheaper. Its a nice looking motor and you can always do a hpi check on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Jeepers. I thought the Passat was bullet proof! In fairness, if I had trouble with a car I dont think I'd buy another car of the same model. I'd spend all my time looking for symptoms of the same issues I'd experienced before. Maybe you just got a lemon I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Grandfather has an 06 passat. It is alright. Has had a few niggly problems, but by and large they have been more or less sorted. It still rattles a lot though, and the handbrake is silly.

I wouldn't be rushing out to buy one still.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

maidhc wrote: »
    , and the handbrake is silly.

Silly how (havnt been in the current Passat. How does it work?

I wouldn't be rushing out to buy one still.
    I can see the point. The problem is decent-sized diesel saloons with an auto gearbox seem to be in short supply in this country. Must be an automatic.

Out of interest, how much smaller is a 320D compared the B5/last gen Passat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Grandfather has an 06 passat. It is alright. Has had a few niggly problems, but by and large they have been more or less sorted. It still rattles a lot though,
    I think most modern cars tend to rattle more than older cars. Seems to be a recurring issue with many manufacturers. I guess there are more gadgets and more plastic and that probably causes a lot of it. Even Toyota are supposed to have rattles in the newer models.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think most modern cars tend to rattle more than older cars. Seems to be a recurring issue with many manufacturers. I guess there are more gadgets and more plastic and that probably causes a lot of it. Even Toyota are supposed to have rattles in the newer models.

Every Toyota I owned had a rattle from the dashboard, I think they put it there intentionally. Anyway rattles you can fix by turning the volume up on the stereo, other issues are usually not so easy to cure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Silly how (havnt been in the current Passat. How does it work?

there's no handbrake lever, the handbrake is operated by a button near the controls to turn on your lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

I have an 05 2.0tdi Passat ( had a 99 1.9tdi before that ).

There have been 2 recalls on my one, both came at the same time and covered a wiper motor check, a wiring loom check for the heated seats, a check of the fuel line ( diesel only ) and a software upgrade which did make a bit of a difference.

I have only had one occasion where the Handbrake gave me true hassle, but that was before the software upgrade and it sorted itsself out before needing a visit to the shop.

I know a few people who have moved over to the Passat and have had plenty of grief with it, but to be honest, a lot of it seems to be how people use it.

I have driven mates ones with "loads of problems" with their handbrakes and never had a problem, yet when they drive mine there the problems are apparently. (Not saying that there are not problems... )

All things being considered, I love my '05 Passat. The DSG is a fantastic gearbox and I'm sorry I did not get it in mine ( next time ! ). Make sure all the campaigns have been run on it ( I think I have the campaign numbers somewhere if you want them ) and you should be OK.

Advertisement