Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The New Shape Passat - Opinions

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I think most modern cars tend to rattle more than older cars.

I think the opposite. I owned a 2004 VW Sharan, it rattled like a, like a rattler. I own an 08 Galaxy and its as stable as a, as a stable :o I owned a 02 Golf, it was a piece of s***e, I own a 06 Golf and haven't had one problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Have an 06 1.9 tdi Highline with 24000km on it and desipte a few minor problems, all sorted under warranty, I would highly recommend them.

The handbrake switch had to be replaced, and the airbag warning light did come on twice, first time after I fitted a parrot carkit into it, I would say the electronic warnings are a bit over sensetive thats all.

The most worrying problem was a front wheel bearing that needed to be replaced, I was told by the garage that they had done a few on the new shape Passat.

Overall it's a very comfortable motor to drive either on main roads or back roads where it feels really planted to the road.

Currently selling mine as I now need an MPV, although I'm sticking with the brand.

My father has had VW's now since 1983 and only had problems with one a 93 Golf, he's now on his 10th Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

I think most modern cars tend to rattle more than older cars.

My 2003 focus doesn't rattle and never has to my knowledge, despite the dash being criticised for being "plasticy"

Incidentally my 1974 Capri may or may not rattle, i'm not sure, because you can't hear much above the din from the engine!

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Jonny303

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Hey all,

the red brake/warning symbol starts beeping and flashing when you start the car and move off and won't clear unless you turn the ignition off and on again,
    Cheers!

No your looking to get rid of it, but as far as i remeber, and this was all of 18 months ago that is solved by a pipe....god dont evan ask me where, possibly off the master cylinder. We had the same probelm for ages with one, back in every couple of weeks until i finally gave in and rang my uncle (hate to give in) in VW n told me straigh away.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

my parents have a 07 2.0 tdi passat highline, their a great car, no problems at all with it, lovely for overtaking! ive put up about 50000 miles on it myself, the only thing i hate about it is the handbrake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thanks for all the feedback guys - so far I'd say it's about 70-30 in favour.

What's so bad about this electronic handbrake, aside from the fact it can be tempermental? Surely that would mean a recall as the car could roll away no? (Although in an auto - like I want to get - I know the transmission is locked when in Park)

I've had a Merc C200 for the past few weeks while my own was in, and it had a footbrake rather than the traditional handbrake. Annoying at first till I got used to it, but once I did it wasn't too bad actually. Is this button not just something you'd get used to as well?

Jonny303: Thanks for the tip. It's very possible it could be something like that as they put a new turbo into it, a power steering pump, front fogs, and a tensioner. I also got a "check brake pads" warning last night. It just seems like there's always SOMETHING with it at this stage :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Thanks for all the feedback guys - so far I'd say it's about 70-30 in favour.

What's so bad about this electronic handbrake, aside from the fact it can be tempermental? Surely that would mean a recall as the car could roll away no? (Although in an auto - like I want to get - I know the transmission is locked when in Park)

I've had a Merc C200 for the past few weeks while my own was in, and it had a footbrake rather than the traditional handbrake. Annoying at first till I got used to it, but once I did it wasn't too bad actually. Is this button not just something you'd get used to as well?

Jonny303: Thanks for the tip. It's very possible it could be something like that as they put a new turbo into it, a power steering pump, front fogs, and a tensioner. I also got a "check brake pads" warning last night. It just seems like there's always SOMETHING with it at this stage :(
    Ah, VW tend to believe that nothing should get recalled, cause people keep buying them anyway. Suspension on the B5 model should have been a recall, as it nearly cost a few people I know's lives. Known issue, but swept under the big VW carpet.
    Handbrake is alright, I don't like it, but you do get used to it. Don't get me started on the Merc system... nothing ever will sway me to thinking that's good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Oh dear god please stop telling me bad news about the Passat I'm waiting on my new 2.0Tdi DSG. My heads already in my hands.:eek:

leincar wrote: »
    Oh dear god please stop telling me bad news about the Passat I'm waiting on my new 2.0Tdi DSG. My heads already in my hands.:eek:

You'll be fine. They've updated the handbrake and it seems reliable now. There is still a slight rattle from the dash, but that's not a deal breaker. Keep an eye on your oil level. All VW's always did use oil in the running in period, but that 2 litre TDi likes a bit all through it's life. No harm, just be aware of it.
    Anyway, you have a warranty, nothing to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Biro wrote: »
    Suspension on the B5 model should have been a recall
    Was chewing the fat with a mechanic about that only this morning. Suspension has been an issue for over 10 years now, on the Passat and the A4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

What goes wrong with the b5 suspension? is it just the usual bushings and rod ends?

Handbrake on the new Passat is fine once its working properly, I quite like it and it makes hill starts a piece of p!ss.

The extra space on the centre console is very useful.

WHITE_P wrote: »
    Handbrake on the new Passat is fine once its working properly, I quite like it and it makes hill starts a piece of p!ss.

The extra space on the centre console is very useful.
    Yea the interior looks very nice on the ones I've been looking at. Hill starts arent a problem anyway in an automatic :)

The suspension on my current 02/B5 seems ok. Little bit of roll when cornering at high(ish) speeds but I find the steering generally fairly responsive and the ride comfort is maybe a little hard but not by much. Compare that to C200 I had which seemed to float rather than drive around corners and felt a lot bigger at low speeds than it was.

Yea the interior looks very nice on the ones I've been looking at. Hill starts arent a problem anyway in an automatic :)

The suspension on my current 02/B5 seems ok. Little bit of roll when cornering at high(ish) speeds but I find the steering generally fairly responsive and the ride comfort is maybe a little hard but not by much. Compare that to C200 I had which seemed to float rather than drive around corners and felt a lot bigger at low speeds than it was.

I don't like the B5 at all to drive. The B6 is a different ball game completely. Leagues ahead of the B5.

Biro wrote: »
    I don't like the B5 at all to drive. The B6 is a different ball game completely. Leagues ahead of the B5.

I'll just have to take one out for a spin in the next few days then :)

What was the problem with the suspension on the B5 Passat / previous A4, and did it affect any other VAG cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

I'll just have to take one out for a spin in the next few days then :)

In fairness it does handle very well.

Advertisement