Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisey electric shower - just installed!

• 26-02-2008 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi
    Got a new Triton T90 installed over the bath (wasnt one there before) last week and OH is complaining about the noise of the motor.

Granted its on an interior wall (one between bathroom and bedroom), not a solid exterior one, so that's bound to make a difference, but I didn't expect it to be this loud! OH works shifts and it wakes him up if its on.

I had heard that Triton were noisier than Mira, and the area around the shower unit is not tiled as yet, but does anyone know if there's anything I can do to lessen the noise? I didn't cop it when the electrician and plumber were installing it.

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

emm, I had a similar problem, I basically opened up the shower, and loosened it up a fair bit, then I put silicone all around it , between it and the tiles. I then lightly tightened it, not as tight as it was, I finished the silicone around the edge, I have noticed it vibrates the whole wall less now, it made a difference. Insulating the partition wall and or a double slab before you tile would also help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I second the silicon, but first, try pressing on the corners when running to see if you have some vibration either within the unit, between the unit and plasterboard or elsewhere.

A stud-wall is going to transfer this noise all around the house through the beams and battons... Ideally, you need to 'float' the shower and piping on rubber or padding to stop the noise from moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Tiling up to the shower (instead of behind the unit) not only looks unsightly, but can cause this problem too.

I've used rubber grommets in the past (thin ones!) to keep the unit slightly proud of the wall surface, when necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Try rubber between shower and wall ,as mentioned in the other posts.
    Mira and triton are both the same when it comes to the sound.

It's the wall thats causing the vibration:(

Advertisement