Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Many Songs Have You Got On Your Pc?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

noby wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, but reading this thread I get the impression that people are eager to have a bigger collection just for the sake of having a bigger collection, and in fact the more you have the less you listen to.

That's not necessarily true. I don't really watch TV and I don't listen to the radio so where am I to experience new music? I have a large collection, there's a core element that I listen too and when I'm in the mood for discovering artists that I haven't listened to before I'll play something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

eo980 wrote: »
    That's not necessarily true. I don't really watch TV and I don't listen to the radio so where am I to experience new music? I have a large collection, there's a core element that I listen too and when I'm in the mood for discovering artists that I haven't listened to before I'll play something new.
    Fair enough, and I didn't want to go into specific examples, but there seemed to be a few references on the thread to people only listening to a small percentage of the vast number of songs they have accumulated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I used to have 14000 but realised it was mostly ****e I will never listen to so I did some deleting and now have 7861 songs. I am not bothered though. My e-penis is massive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

I listen to the vast majority of the stuff i have to be honest.
    Nothing worse than being in the mood for something obsecure and not have it to hand.
    More is always better, just like alcohol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

IrishMike wrote: »
    More is always better

Do you guys not mind sacrificing quality for quantity ? Because it's an accepted fact that MP3's have a far less sound quality than cd's.

Judging from this thread no one gives a s--- about sound quality, which is rather strange coming from (I presume) dedicated music fans. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Rigsby wrote: »
    Do you guys not mind sacrificing quality for quantity ? Because it's an accepted fact that MP3's have a far less sound quality than cd's.

Judging from this thread no one gives a s--- about sound quality, which is rather strange coming from (I presume) dedicated music fans. :)

I'd consider myself a serious music fan and I'm not sure I could even notice the difference between mp3 and cd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Not if they're ripped to high quality, or use flac etc.

And even at standard 128 the average human would be hard pressed to hear a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

256mbps is all the sound quality you need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

7,302 files, a great deal are soundtracks and rubbish. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

If you were to listen to a properly ripped v0 mp3 using lame and EAC and compared it to a cd I doubt you could say which is which.

Unless you are ripping FLAC, WAV or ALAC etc its' all compressed and lossy. A lot of people have massive FLAC libraries which is lossless. Personally I think it takes up too much space. v0 is a good trade off for quality to size, v2 would be my next choice then 192kbps cbr. 320 is a waste of space, why encode silence at 320kbps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

5759 at the moment. I listen to about 80% of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

1006 songs and i still dont listen to about half of that!!!BTW how have some of you managed to get 30 or 40k songs????What the hell is it all???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Discrimination against Macs!! I have 0 songs and 0 PCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

16,437 songs on the hard-drive. Ripped using Lame @ 192 VBR.
    Have another 75,000 or so archived off to DVDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

As stated already it is possible to rip music to a very high quality so that your hard pressed to hear the difference.
    If I really want to appreciate the 'quality' I have a CD collection, a decent amplifier, seperates CD player, minidisc deck and a reasonable set of floor standers.

Most people, myself included don't always use MP3 players because we want to intensely listen to high quality music on the move. It's because we like our music, want to listen to something while commuting and pass the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

I know I have 5,000+, and I listen to a fair whack of them (75% or maybe more!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

7000-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Just over 10,000 songs. I listen to about 1/3 of them on a regular (rotation) basis. Bit silly really having all this music I listened to 10 years ago and haven't listened to since.

I may do a clear out.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I only download albums even though I only want certain songs. Strange I know but I just hate having single songs.

Same here Xavi, i think the single songs look clunky - plus, I have no respect for people whose iPods of full of single songs by millions of artists...pick one you really like and get MORE THAN THE HIT SINGLE! It's usually one of the weaker tracks on the album anyway :p

As for my collection, about 4,000 - anyone know how to do an exact count on Windows Media Player?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I use Musikcube to handle the mp3 collection and for general playback.
    It has a nice native player, and indexes every mp3 you want, as long as you import the parent directory. It dynamically re-synches with whats on your desktop to pick up new choons you may have gotten. Sort of a google desktop for your mp3s. I find it handy with my 70 odd gigs of music I cant bear to part with. So basically, its a quicker way of searching thru MP3s than using windows explorer, which, as we all know, kinda sucks once your mp3 collection reaches a certain capacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I've been ripping all my old CDs as lossless, got over 20,000 songs with another couple of boxes to go. I appear to be in the minority in that I haven't stolen my music and I'm not just hoarding ****e I won't listen to for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

I've got 14,264. Variety is the spice of life, my iTunes is set to random all of the time and randomly selects tunes from the entire collection of over 14000 songs.

Occasionally I'll play from my top rated list which is 449 songs. Most are ripped at 320kbps or are Apple Lossless or AIFF. Disc space really isn't an issue these days with the low cost of HDDs. Mine runs off a 750gb external drive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Have trimmed down to 2, 500 on my laptop. Unknown on my ext hdd.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

3,489 to be exact - stopped being a dumbass and pressed Ctrl + A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Hansel

5180. A lot of new stuff that I haven't listened to properly yet. If I don't like something after 3 listens, it'll be deleted. Currently 15 days of music. When on earth am I supposed to listen to all that? And there's so much I still want to download.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

7500 or So. I've been collecting since 1999, so it's only about 2 new ones a day.
    I've deleted another couple thousand.
    The only songs I keep on my itunes are the songs I like.
    Unless, it's a bad song on an otherwise good album, if I don't like it, it gets deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Doctor J wrote: »
    I've been ripping all my old CDs as lossless, got over 20,000 songs with another couple of boxes to go. I appear to be in the minority in that I haven't stolen my music and I'm not just hoarding ****e I won't listen to for the sake of it.

You might be in the minority but you're not alone.

I can never understand people who hoard thousands of megabytes of rubbish that they'll never listen to just because they can.

The only music I download is albums I already own on cassette or LP because it's too much hassle to convert them to mp3. Everything else is ripped from my CD collection.

According to windows I have almost 12000 tracks.

• Moderators Posts: 51,812 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Just under 15,000. It is my entire CD collection.
    Haven't really started buying music as downloads yet. Like to have the CD.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

8391, only 5 of which were downloaded, im a cd collector more than a downloader....started collecting in 1998, started off with U2s Pop album and coldplays viva la vida is the latest :)

Advertisement