Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Back And Want Advice!!!

Options
  • 26-02-2008 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Decided to return to the old sod after 16 years in America!!! Went with hubby and two kids and am coming back with hubby and 7 kids!!! eek.gifAll love Gaelic football and hurling? Best outside village/town to move to..Am a primary teacher so will be looking for subbing and eventually a job!!!rolleyes.gif
    WHat type of car/van is good?
    mobile phone service?
    any other advice...will be renting for a year or two till we get our bearings so need settling advice..Tuam, Athenry, claregalway and moycullen are the towns/villages we are looking into?
    Will welcome all advice!!
    smile.gif

user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Ballyroe7 wrote: »
    WHat type of car/van is good?
    You can't go far wrong with a transit. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

ScumLord wrote: »
    You can't go far wrong with a transit. ;)

Especially with 7 kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ballyroe7 wrote: »

smile.gif

user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gif
    Hmmm, new to the net? ;)

Anyway, for cars check carzone.ie. A Volkswagen Touran Comfortline or a Volvo 940 estate should be good.
    For house to rent see daft.ie Has prices etc.

Failte!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭cookiequeen

Hi ballyroe 7,

To answer your questions first:

to get a permanent primary school teaching job in Galway is extremely difficult without plenty of people on your side to put it mildly. You should get subbing fairly easily but this isn't always practical, especially with 7 children as it isn't very consistant, you start doing one day here and there and eventually if you're lucky you might get a maternity cover or sick leave.

Carwise i'm not good on advice for cars that fit 9 people but i'd say take biko's advice and browse carzone or autotrader and see what will seat you all comfortably, keeping in mind that petrol and diesel are €1.20 per LITRE not gallon. Also motor tax is dependant on the engine size of your vehicle. My 1.9L diesel costs over €500 per year to tax, whereas a 1L petrol would be less than half that. Go to www.motortax.ie to check it out

Rental wise in the east galway towns you'd be looking at about €800-1000per month for a house suitable for 9 people. To give you an idea, your average 3 bed semi would be €750 pm to rent. There's loads available at the moment and its not a bad time to buy either. Expect to pay about €4-500k for a 5 bed detached house in those parts of east galway

Mobile phone service. This is more expensive than you'll be used to too. There are 4 networks, vodafone, o2, meteor and 3. All of which should work perfectly fine in the areas you have mentioned. You can have a bill phone (like in the us) or you can choose to pay as you go, which is exactly as it says you top up with €20 or more credit whenever you run low. One thing that is very different here is that incoming calls do not deduct minutes from your phone, only the phone of the caller.

to finish, its clear to me youhaven't been back home for a while. Ireland is extremely different now and you will find it very difficult to settle back in, prepared or not. I know of many friends who have moved back home after living in the US for years and each one moved back within 2 years.

Ireland is extremely expensive, expect to pay more than double for everything here compared to the Us and thats when you're paying in Euro, when you exchange doller to euro you lose a third of your money.

I don't want to put you off but I do want you to come in with your eyes wide open. Why don't you and your family come over for a 3 week holiday and see what you all thik then.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions.

Good Luck

Advertisement