Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT Appeal: does it worth it?

Options
  • 26-02-2008 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭

A relative from Belfast gave us his used 1999 Clio for free as we needed a second car. I VRT'ed it today and they charged me €530 just to register the old banger, claiming it's OMSP is €2300. Even the guy inspecting it thought the value in their system seems a bit high and suggested I appeal.

I've found various similar cars on carzone/etc for €1390 to €2500 asking price (there are more expensive ones there too, obviously). I've written an appeal letter and printed off the search results. If I can get them to consider €1500 for OMSP that means a saving of a couple of hundred euros.

Does anyone has any experience with this kind of thing? Is there ever a possibility that they get pissed off and say no we actually under-charged you (it says it's possible in the booklet). Do I stand a chance?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

tax back from the government? Good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

thanks for your opinion.
    any "proper" advice, anyone, please?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Asking price doesn't mean value necessarily. If the VRO said appeal then why not?

Asking price doesn't mean value necessarily. If the VRO said appeal then why not?

I am going to appeal. Just want to know has there ever been a case they've INCREASED the amount payable on appeal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

I would appeal. The Revenue's pricing system is not infallible. Perhaps they have not updated the prices for your particular car?

• Advertisement

mvpr wrote: »
    I would appeal. The Revenue's pricing system is not infallible. Perhaps they have not updated the prices for your particular car?

Looks like. In fairness who in the right mind would pay €2300 for a poxy 3dr 1999 1.2 Clio?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

yes appeal, by doing so you achieve 2 things:
    1> possibally reducing your VRT bill (more than likely)
    2> getting the staff used to the idea that the OMSP is not always correct. It will make it easier for everyone in the future if they realise that some prices are too high.

If you think the OMSP is too high, why should you pay too much? Why not correct the problem?

Advertisement