Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Front Passenger/Driver Tinted Windows

Options
  • 26-02-2008 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi,

I am wondering does anyone know if front passenger/driver windows are legal to be tinted. I'm not talking about the windscreen...the front passenger windows.

I am looking to buy a new car and have seen one but the front windows seem pretty tinted to me...and dont want to be in a position where a guard stops me and tells me to replace them. I know the back passenger windows are allowed to be tinted.

Thanks...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Ask a Garda would be my best bet (and share the answer here! :)). They should be able to either give you an acceptable opacity - usually expressed in % - or they'll tell you the legislation says something useful like "front windows must not be tinted to an unacceptable level" in which case you'll be prey to the mood of the Garda that pulls you over.

Anyone have a more specific answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

My good lady had an Ibiza with tinted windows all round and never had a problem. The rear's were done on a 20% tint but we had the fronts on a 35% tint so they weren't as dark.

Main reason for the lighter tint on the fronts was for driving at night - it would have been fairly dark with the 20% tint up front.

Tints tend to be:
    35% - lightest
    20% - medium
    5% - darkest

If it's 5% on the front windows you could run in to problems. As the glass itself more than likely has a slight tint from the factory then you are looking at less than 5% of the light getting in to the cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

I bought a car with dark tints all round. It was similar to wearing shades at night time, really dangerous, couldnt see properly out of the side windows.

A learner driver wrote it off while parked (I had it 10 days)
    Id never drive another as sooner or later you wont see a biker or car heading towards you. Its not worth the risk IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

I stand to be corrected, but I doubt there is specific legislation in force here to deal with this.

Up North the PSNI have meters to assess the opacity% vs legislation

I guess down here we'll have to have a tribunal of some sort...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I have tinted windows and have no visability problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

yeah i have tinted windows all around but im not happy with them, im getting them completely blackened within the next few weeks.... really good for car safety

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

the law says that the window has to allow 75% of the light through but thats still plenty for the front windows and you shouldnt need them any darker than that up front, i usually use darker tint on the back ones aswell.,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Seinas wrote: »
    really good for car safety

How is that? I thought you'd have reduced visibililty at night, much like wearing sunglasses at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

DonJose wrote: »
    How is that? I thought you'd have reduced visibililty at night, much like wearing sunglasses at night.

It also makes it safer for theives to break in to the car as the glass stays nicely together when they break it, rather than shattering everywhere and all over the seats.

If you think people not being able to see in is going to stop them breaking in, then you are mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

DonJose wrote: »

I think they were trying to troll, but failed miserably.

OP; I have tints on my current car, and also had them on a previous car. We also have the van at work done. We've never had any problems with them as far as either Gardai or visibility is concerned.

A lower tint in the front and higher in the back seems to be normal, and if the job is done properly you won't have visibility problems. Try and test drive the car in low light conditions so that you know what it'll be like.

Bear in mind that tint can affect depth perception in low light, so give yourself time to get used to the change.

And for anyone thinking about getting tints, try and get a spin as a passenger in a car with the job already done so that you'll know what to expect from inside the car.

HTH.

• Advertisement
Advertisement