Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Failed NCT - brake lines/hoses

• 26-02-2008 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Iv got a 98 ford fiesta and it failed the NCT. Failed because of the brake lines/hoses. The paper i got back,they didn't cross out the 1 that was ok, unless i need them both fixed. Whatever needs fixing is rusty.
    My mechanic is goin to have a look at the car on friday and see if its the lines or the hoses. He was sayin he can fix the hoses which i suppose isn't to bad. But the line he cant do cause theres a pipe that runs from the front to the back of the car, that has to be made up and i have to go somewhere else for this. So that sounds expensive. Would anyone know how much this would cost to fix? If it turns out its the line, would it even be worth fixing? I dont know much, but it does sound expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

The brake lines shouldn't be too expensive to make up - if you were to buy from the main dealer, they probably would.

There's a couple of backstreet mechanics my way that will make them up for you, and they don't charge much. Your mech might know someone, or he can try the scrapyard on the headford road for a replacement.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Brake pipes and hoses are simple to fit and relatively cheap too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

My mechanic mentioned that there's another mechanic in the city that gets them made up so il probably get them there. I wouldn't want to get it from a scrapyard, especially when it comes to the brakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I wasn't on about 2nd hand ones - if they repair cars there, they might have the equipment to replace the brake lines!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Fiona500

Hi, I have the same problem with my 97 Fiesta. Apparently it happens to all Fiestas because of where they placed the lines.

Just wondering how much it you were charged to fix it and where you got it done? Or if you know the name of a garage that will fix it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Fiona500 wrote: »
    Hi, I have the same problem with my 97 Fiesta. Apparently it happens to all Fiestas because of where they placed the lines.

Just wondering how much it you were charged to fix it and where you got it done? Or if you know the name of a garage that will fix it?

Brake lines run underneath every car.

Any mechanic could replace all the solid pipe and rubber lines easily enough. The cost depends on how many need replacing. Shop around.

A change of brake fluid is a good idea at the same time btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Fiona500

I am only repeating what the NCT mechanic told me on Sunday. Apparently every old Fiesta he has seen has the exact same problem with corrosion in exactly the same place. I would have assumed that it was caused by all the salt in the air and had nothing to do with the make of car.

Thanks for the tip about the brake fluid, I didn't think of that. I am going to ask to have it coated or something to prevent it from corroding again.

I was just wondering if lisajane could give me a ballpark figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rossdarragh

Why has nobody stated how much it might cost? My Avensis failed for the same reason. I was quoted 2euro a foot ane 10euro labour to make them up, so that is cheap. However, When i went a couple of mechanics i was quoted between 250euro to 350euro to supply and splice in a new section and from the main dealer 400euro for a complete set. Not cheap by any sense of the word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭beam99

Last time i checked with ford, they don't supply brake steel pipes that run from the front to the back of the car. I just took them off and gave them into the local motor factors and they made them up within a hour.

Advertisement