Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTB Wheels query?

Options
  • 26-02-2008 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭

I'm new to this cycling lark (though I have been able to cycle for many years), so I'm not sure of all the lingo.

Basically, I have a starter MTB, 2005 Fuji Nevada, and have recently started trying out a few trails in the Galway area.
    Out of pure laziness, I would like to be able to quickly switch my wheels for slicks if I want to use the bike on the road or to commute (if I can get off my ass in time in the morning) and back again to go off-road.

My basic question is, what sort of money would I be looking at to purchase a set of quick-release wheels?

Any advice on where to look online would also be appreciated.
    I'm based in Galway, so any LBS in Dublin is of no use to me obviously.

I'm gonna try the shops here and see what sort of price they're quoting, just want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off, and whether or not I'd save anything online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

You could get a basic set of wheels with Deore hubs for €100, but it would be worth spending €20 extra for XT.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Kits.aspx?ModelID=3472

You'll also need to get a second cassette and some rim-strips. It might be worth getting a cassette with higher gear ratios for your "road" wheelset. If you have disc brakes you'll need extra rotors too of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Morgan wrote: »
    You could get a basic set of wheels with Deore hubs for €100, but it would be worth spending €20 extra for XT.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Kits.aspx?ModelID=3472

You'll also need to get a second cassette and some rim-strips. It might be worth getting a cassette with higher gear ratios for your "road" wheelset. If you have disc brakes you'll need extra rotors too of course.

Thanks for the reply - just want to ask a couple of q's on your recommendation.

There's a lot of options there for each part of the wheel setup. For a newbie with no idea of the quality of each component & whether or not its worth the extra money, what would you advise as choices?
    I know you've recommended the XT hubs, but outside of that, for a basic road setup, should I just be picking the cheapest option?
    Also, I think I understand where you're getting at with higher gear ratio for a road setup, by that do you mean getting something like an 11-23 cassette compared with an 11-28 that I currently have?

The bike came with Alex ID19 Rims, see here for the full specs?
    http://fujibikes.com/2005/bikes.asp?id=47

How good are these wheels & will they take a reasonable off road pounding?
    Would I be better off to invest in better wheels & put the slicks on the existing ones, or just go with budget ones for the slicks?

Please bear in mind, I'm unlikely to take up trailing hugely seriously or get involved in races, just use it to keep fit, spending a couple of hours at the weekend or when the evenings get longer.
    So I'm not looking at spending big, just something to enable a quick switch from road to mtb & back, while making sure my bike can cope with both conditions.

I'd recommend using your old wheels on the road and keeping the new ones for offroad. The XT hubs are well sealed and will stand up to muck and water a lot better.

I use a 11-34 cassette offroad myself, with a 11-25 on the road bike. Your choice will depend on the hills you have to deal with.

Don't bother with the extra-cost options. The Mavic XM 317 rims would be a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Morgan wrote: »
    I'd recommend using your old wheels on the road and keeping the new ones for offroad. The XT hubs are well sealed and will stand up to muck and water a lot better.

I use a 11-34 cassette offroad myself, with a 11-25 on the road bike. Your choice will depend on the hills you have to deal with.

Don't bother with the extra-cost options. The Mavic XM 317 rims would be a good choice.

thanks for the advice again - when I select that, it totals up to about £115/120, where is it possible to get a setup like that for €120?

I also went to a 3 LBS to get an idea of price.
    Got a quote of €80 for an old pair of rims, slightly scratched, just old unsold stock, but I'm not sure what the overall specs are.
    Got told in another shop it would range from a basic price of €140 to €200 for a set similar to my current ones.
    Waiting on a call back from the 3rd place today, he was going to price 3 options, from very basic to a couple of steps up.

I'm unsure what to go for, but obviously, if I can get a good set somewhere for €120 compared to the prices I've got quoted so far, I'd be tempted.

I assume, at that price its gonna be an online shop, any links?

Just looked at Chainreaction:

Shimano XT Front Hub M760 32h Silver
    Mavic XM317 2007 32h Silver
    DT Swiss Spokes Champion Stainless PG Silver 2mm
    Shimano XT Rear Hub M760 32h Silver
    Mavic XM317 2007 32h Silver
    DT Swiss Spokes Champion Stainless PG Silver 2mm
    Selected Package Price
    124.44 EUR

The cassette will be extra but that's the same anywhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement