Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polish Translation

Options
  • 26-02-2008 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I run a small shop and i'm trying to make a sign that says 'Ask at the counter for details'.

Would this be right?:
    Szczegolowe informacje pytac przy kasie :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭emkey

"O szczegółowe informacje pytaj w kasie" - I used polish fonts to make it more Pole-friendly:)

If your comp does not recognize them: "O szczegolowe informacje pytaj w kasie"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Undercoverguy, your version is correct as well. Just like emkey's version.

hey WooPeeA, the first version makes not much sense without "o" at the beginning.:)

Ohh.. it's very small mistake. Even I didn't notice that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭andala

I'm not sure I like the personal construction here. It's not really common to have the form "pytaj" used referring to a customer. I'd go for:

"Szczegółowe informacje przy kasie"

Impersonal and informative. What do you think?

• Advertisement

looks like after many years in Ireland I got used to being straight-forward.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 NialoF1

"O szczegółowe informacje pytaj w kasie"

"O szczegolowe informacje pytaj w kasie"

Probably wouldn't matter but it would it make sense to have "l" instead of "ł" as they're different pronounciations?

NialoF1 wrote: »

"O szczegolowe informacje pytaj w kasie"

Probably wouldn't matter but it would it make sense to have "l" instead of "ł" as they're different pronounciations?
    It doesn't matter as most of people know that l=ł. The pronunciation is bit different. Poles pronounce "Ł" same as Irish people pronounce "w" [ex. Willy, West, World) and "L" is same as in English [ex. Louisiana, Lottery, Love]. Using "ł" is more correct in grama aspect, but IMO not big difference in real life, you can always say that you didn't have Polish fonts if somebody will ask. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 pintos

WooPeeA wrote: »
    It doesn't matter as most of people know that l=ł. The pronunciation is bit different. Poles pronounce "Ł" same as Irish people pronounce "w" [ex. Willy, West, World) and "L" is same as in English [ex. Louisiana, Lottery, Love]. Using "ł" is more correct in grama aspect, but IMO not big difference in real life, you can always say that you didn't have Polish fonts if somebody will ask. ;)

if you write something ad use L as Ł this is a small mistake, do ot worry about it,
    bu if you talk ad make it people cant know what you say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 michael_d

"O szczegółowe informacje pytać przy kasie"
    "Szczegóły przy kasie"

all forms are correct :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement