Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL cable router and WiFi replacement

Options
  • 26-02-2008 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi
    i'm going to get NTL broadband
    want it wireless.
    WIFI installation from them 49.99 eur (this means they bring own WIFI device and install it)
    customers not buying wifi device, they only pay installation fee..

i read terms and agreement before i go.
    it's mentioned all equipment belongs to NTL
    so as i understand, after canceling my contract cable router and wifi must be returned....to them.
    so, isn't better buy personal wifi access point or router or even saw one [cable/dsl router and wifi] all in one @komplett.ie, for reasonable price.

but can you guys please advice will it be possible to see settings on NTL's provided router and use them on my personal router?
    i mean do they secure own routers from my access/login?
    And does their cable routers has UTP cable socket to connect Wifi access point device?

Appreciate your advices.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

I believe you do need to use the cable modem provided by NTL as they restrict access by MAC address. But I can be corrected on this!

You can buy any wireless router you want as long as it is an ethernet router (sometimes called a cable router by Argos and such places) and not an ADSL modem/router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 motorito

i think u right on MAC
    otherwise you could connect any new device without agreement..and bills.
    that's logical. thx

so please anyone let me knows if NTL gives me access and settings to the router or no.

and what difference between wifi access point and router then..
    as u may see u can buy wireless access points
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?bn=10281
    and wireless routers
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?bn=10282

thx

I believe you do need to use the cable modem provided by NTL as they restrict access by MAC address. But I can be corrected on this!
    You can buy any wireless router you want as long as it is an ethernet router (sometimes called a cable router by Argos and such places) and not an ADSL modem/router.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You need a combo WiFi access point AND router, but it must have ethernet port for WAN connection, not inbuilt DSL modem.

Komplett.ie, Maplin, Argos have them. Sometimes they are called cable routers, but they work on any system that has ethernet port.

sitecom, Dlink. netgear, linksys and many others.

See http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=306148&view=detailed#ProductTabs

Note it says it connects to cable or dsl via its router, ie. the ethernet port of a DSL modem (or DSL router in Bridge mode), a Cable Modem, Ripwave, Breeze or Digiweb Metro or wireless modems. It can't connect to cable or dsl line direct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

NTL (UPC) give you a Netgear WGR614 wireless router when you get WiFi from them. You get full, unrestricted access to the router, they don't lock out or restrict anything (right now, I'm using the WGR614 on a Smart Telecom Broadband connection without any problems) and they don't ask for the router back should you cancel the broadband in the future.

NTL actually allow up to 3 seperate MAC addresses connect to the router, giving a seperate IP address to each. However, if you get WiFi from them this won't make a difference as all they'll "see" connected to the ntl modem is your router behind the cablemodem, not any PCs that connect to the router. Theoretically you could have 10 PCs connected to the router any they'd still only see one "PC".

Should you wish to go down the road of your own router though, there's no settings as such to put into it - just leave the WAN port setting on the new router to get an IP address automatically by DHCP, and the cablemodem will just give the new router the public IP address. As watty mentions though make sure it is NOT an ADSL and router combination - you will run into a lot of problems trying to set one of these up.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sailorfoley

Should you wish to go down the road of your own router though, there's no settings as such to put into it - just leave the WAN port setting on the new router to get an IP address automatically by DHCP, and the cablemodem will just give the new router the public IP address. As watty mentions though make sure it is NOT an ADSL and router combination - you will run into a lot of problems trying to set one of these up.

Hey guys,

i have the set up mentioned here. I have the wired NTL cable modem and i have a wireless router attached to it, via the WAN port. I didn't have to mess around with usernames or passwords for NTL or any of that. They only thing was to make the router DHCP and configure the wireless password to the router. I have a laptop and XBox 360 sharing the broadband.

Just make sure your router is only a router as mentioned and not some ADSL combo. It'll make your life easier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement