Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi Gearbox nightmare!

Options
  • 26-02-2008 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

The gearbox on my A3 (98) just gave in!!!! Car was just towed to Foster Motors. There was a really weird sound yesterday of something spinning, and gears started grinding today and broke down with a puddle of oil under the car. The tow guy said it was the gearbox.

How much am I likely to have to pay??

Any advice?:(

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A nice bit unfortuantely. Check to see if it's a shared VW part.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

continuing to drive it probably didn't help things. I would assume an independant mechanic would do the work a lot cheaper than Fosters too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I would assume an independant mechanic would do the work a lot cheaper than Fosters too?

+1. You'll probably end up spending up as much as the car is worth if you're putting in new Audi parts at main dealer labour rates. You're better to get an independent to source you a recon unit of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

I'd say the gearbox is the same as any of the 5 speed golf's, bora's and so on. VW group gearboxes are not very strong.

You will pick on up handy from a breakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭poker-jacks

i had a originally told the tow guy to take it to MSL but changed my mind at the last minute.

I'll just get Fosters to quote and diagnose and then I'll find an independent. Which side of a €1,000 do you think im looking at?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wrong side unless you find a doner box.

I just checked the official catalogue - 1600 euro plus whatever extras are added once it hits Ireland plus delivery of course.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

On a 98 car I would not waste lots of money on new parts and labour from a main dealer.

It's pretty much money your not going to get back come sell on time so limit the expenditure imo, a reconditioned gearbox fitted by a good independant mechanic is the way to go.

mike65 wrote: »
    Wrong side unless you find a doner box.

try abrakebabra! ;)

I trust you are not suggesting thier typical kebab is oily with gritty bits :p

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Poker, what year is your car, when did you buy it?

G/box failure like you described could fall under product liability legislation, even if its out of "warranty" such a failure could be "unexpected"

You may be able to get it sorted FOC if you follow the legal route.

• Advertisement

Oilrig wrote: »
    Poker, what year is your car, when did you buy it?

G/box failure like you described could fall under product liability legislation, even if its out of "warranty" such a failure could be "unexpected"

You may be able to get it sorted FOC if you follow the legal route.

I'm not sure if you're seriously suggesting this or not?

Oilrig read the OP post again.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

OK :o missed the '98 bit...

thanks for the advice, none of which i wanted to hear :rolleyes: I'll hear tomorrow from Fosters if it is the gearbox (more than likely as the guy who towed me said he could smell gear oil, and he was sent by my insurance company)

Can you reccomend a good mechanic to do the job. So hard to find anyone decent and reliable? (MSL, Fosters, Jetstar, and Smith's in Sallynoggin are all incompetent from my experience. I also had a very odd experience with a guy called Martin Byrne in Bray....) Should i source the parts myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Neilw wrote: »
    VW group gearboxes are not very strong.

The winner of understatement of the year!!!

VAG gearboxes have always been sh*te

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Ring Traynors in Armagh for parts.

I think they have a website now.

Get your mechanic to fit.

If the gear box goes, do you have to replace the flywheel and clutch?

Fosters rang this morning and said its the gearbox and clutch - €3,000!!!:eek:

I tend not to believe the clutch part though because the first thing he said was "do you want to trade it in"....

Is this a common occurance that both go at the same time?

I'll ring traynors today, I've been ringing them every week anyway looking for an armrest...

I did suggest a heart-attack price. The tiptronic box for a A6/A8 is about 7 grand here.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

I tend not to believe the clutch part though because the first thing he said was "do you want to trade it in"....

Clutch is only about €300 of that anyway, and it would be foolish not to replace it when the car is opened up.

maidhc wrote: »
    Clutch is only about €300 of that anyway, and it would be foolish not to replace it when the car is opened up.

Well thats not too bad then. I sourced a site in the UK that'll supply a gearbox for €900, labour is likely to be €500-€600...

• Advertisement

Mr.Clutch and Mr. Gearbox have quoted half the price of Foster motors to supply and fit the new gearbox and clutch.

Anyone know anything about them? They came recommended to me by a mechanic...

Also, has anyone ever dealt with a mechanic (old race driver I think) called Martin Byrne in Bray???

bump

Had the work carried out and the car feels as good as new again.

Apparently the cause of this was my wheels - 18" RS8 wheels with fat low profile tyres. Mr Clutch said that this was a flaw in the design of the car that it couldn't cope with big wheels and that they were causing unnecessary strain through the transmission.

Has anyone heard of this before? My mate has the same wheels on his A3 and we know another guy with them aswell, so sent out the warnings at the weekend. It's a pity because I think the wheels make the car.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Had the work carried out and the car feels as good as new again.

Apparently the cause of this was my wheels - 18" RS8 wheels with fat low profile tyres. Mr Clutch said that this was a flaw in the design of the car that it couldn't cope with big wheels and that they were causing unnecessary strain through the transmission.

Has anyone heard of this before? My mate has the same wheels on his A3 and we know another guy with them aswell, so sent out the warnings at the weekend. It's a pity because I think the wheels make the car.:(

If overall rolling radius is the same, it shouldnt make alot of difference. Although i suppose if you have very grippy tyres and you are doing lots of fast take offs, it could make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

mickdw wrote: »
    If overall rolling radius is the same, it shouldnt make alot of difference.

It's nothing to do with rolling radius, it's all about weight.
    18" replica wheels weigh nearly twice as much as the standard 15" audi alloys.
    The extra weight puts far more strain on an already weak by design gearbox.

Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 barrymac

I had gearbox trouble in a tdi a4 1996 220k miles and got it done in Bohernabreena gearbox centre for €650 but he only had to change synchronising rings.

Clutch needed changing too but only added another 180 to do the clutch at the same time. It's an awkward location to get to so he gave me a lift to and from the bus stop! By far the most reasonable price I was quoted and I rang about 5 or 6 gearbox people. I'd definitely go back to him if I'm so unfortunate again.

The previous owner must have been very rough, it's the car's second gearbox, second one was from a 99 and it feels very delicate and loose.

Advertisement