Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Mike Patton Discussion Thread

• 26-02-2008 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭

Big fan of most of Mike's work from FNM, Bungle Tomahawk to his utterly insane solo albums and Fantomas. I see recently he was involved with video games and I am Legend movie doing monster voices.
    Met him once in Dublin 92 on Angel Dust tour. Some of the bands on his Ipecac label are great too - Isis, Meltbanana, Locust.
    Discuss

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Motherpuncher

Mike patton. Some man !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

the guy's a legend. i'm a huge FNM fan and love the early mr. bungle stuff. lucky enough to see FNM here 3 times,he put on a manic live performance:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

First of all, the man has a phenominal voice.
    Not a huge fan of FNM post Angel Dust, but The Real Thing & Angel Dust are fantastic albums. There are some great songs in FNM later albums but none of them stand out for me more than those two.
    Mr. Bungle-Mr. Bungle is a great album, has a bit of everything and I think part of the deal when he linked up with FNM back then was to sort the release of that album, rightly so too ;)
    Only got to see Patton live a few times, and that being with FNM, all excellent shows.
    Remember hearing his first solo album, some sh!te with just his screechin' vocals.
    He's done great some stuff with Lovage a few years back which I really liked.
    Find Tomahawk a bit hit and miss at times.
    Think one of his latest projects is Peeping Tom, heard a few tracks and meh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Fnm, early patton stuff is excellent, later stuff has grown on me in the last year
    Mr. Bungle: A fun and interesting mindphuc
    Tomakawk: Grand but the last album was naff
    Peeping tom & Lovage : not my style.

over all he's an excellent character. i seen him live during the summer with fennesz, though i wish i could have seen fnm or mr. bungle live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Mike Patton = God.

That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I loved the last Fantomas album Suspended Animation, but what the hell was the previous one about Delirium Cordial? Actually the Directors Cut is class too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Tommy the Cat

Genius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭shnaek

Genius
    I second that. Been listening a bit to Peeping Tom. I was a huge FNM and Mr Bungle fan. Got to see Mr Bungle too in Australia. Superb stuff. Mike has always been a super frontman, as well as a man who isn't afraid to experiment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Genius

thirded.

i can't fault anything he's done bar the last tomahawk album (too much of a w4nk-fest for patton and less of a tomahawk album)... own nearly everything he's been involved in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭1408

brilliance defined

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I like him a lot, but I don't like himas a person that much. Anyone else seen the video where he slates Wolfmother? If not here 'tis:

I find it majorly ironic that he critisizes them for being old school, with their 70's type rock, yet he's is talking about 60's Italian music. A musical genius but I wish he would just keep his mouth shut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 leah8470

Seen him in London about 4 years ago doing a beatbox show with a guy called Rahzel.One off show with no instruments...just them beatboxing and singing...it was AMAZING..and have never seen anything as good as it since.
    The mans a genius

Wouldn't go as far as using the word genius.
    Don't think he's done anything amazing since Angel Dust, album wise.

Any one like to back up their genius claims? I'm just curious :)

What????? Genius. I think so!!!

He is a ****in ledge!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

leah8470 wrote: »
    Seen him in London about 4 years ago doing a beatbox show with a guy called Rahzel.One off show with no instruments...just them beatboxing and singing...it was AMAZING..and have never seen anything as good as it since.
    The mans a genius

Rahzel is one very talented musician!! there is a video of him doing Iron Man by Sabbath beatbox style on you tube.

Dead Skin
    Mr. Bungle's California (circa 2001) is a brilliant album. Some of the Fantomas (Directors Cut, Suspended Animation) are really good too. Tomahawk are ok maybe a little mainstream but some good songs. The work he did with Bjork is outstanding, even King for a day.. by FNM was a great record in my book. So I would say Angel Dust was just the start for this guy.

buck65,
    Ah yeah, I like King for a Day.... but it's no Angel Dust ;).

As regards to it all starting off with Angel Dust for him, yeah I do agree, he had more input into that album. On The Real Thing, the music was all sorted, he went away and added the lyrics.

I don't think FNM would have had the success they had without Patton. Although i do like the older stuff with Chuck on vocals.

Don't think I've heard any of the Bjork stuff, must look into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Was there something about him eating a plate of **** to try and lose some of the teeny fans that 'Easy' gained them?

I tried googling 'mike patton eat ****' but it just shows lots of stupid **** talk between idiots online

he ate a plate of stars?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

FNM, Peeping Tom, the last Tomahawk album, the album with the X-cutioners, the live show with Fennesz = either rubbish or boring.

FNM were a good band but really don't do anything for me. The show with Fennesz was a major disappointment as I'm a huge Fennesz fan and Patton tends to shine when he's got good collaborators but no dice. Peeping Tom was beyond boring. Oh wow, Norah Jones swearing, how avant garde!

Fantomas, the first two Tomahawk albums, Mr. Bungle, Maldoror, the EP with the Dillinger Escape Plan, "GI Joe" with the Melvins = brilliant.

The thing about Patton is that he brings the best out of other musicians but he himself is not a genius by any stretch. What does he do that marks him out as a genius compared to his contemporaries or to the likes of Captain Beefheart and Frank Zappa? His vocals are the same old techniques all the time, a mixture between crooning and effects. It can sound deadly but it's not genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Chuck Mosely ftw as far as Faith No More goes.

Patton just doesn't do it for me, more often than not. At times he seems to go out of his way to be obscure, meh, just put out some good tunes and stop the fannying around tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Serpentine

JæKæ wrote: »
    Was there something about him eating a plate of **** to try and lose some of the teeny fans that 'Easy' gained them?

I tried googling 'mike patton eat ****' but it just shows lots of stupid **** talk between idiots online

What do you expect from a man that ****s in hairdryers? ;) Ya gotta love MP he's not like anyone else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 DangleDevil

Mike Patton is the best.... he's done SOOOO much stuff with all different types of genres it would be hard to like all of it but i think he's genius...
    watch this performance, i can't stop!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt856_nRxQk

Plus who the hell else would sing about erotic asphyxiation!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Eschatologist

I once gave a birthday card to my best friend with the excellent lyric from The Gentle Art of Making Enemies: 'Don't you look so surprised, Happy Birthday f*****!' Both of us being massive fans she found it hilarious.

Advertisement