Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

N95 Nokia Maps

• 26-02-2008 7:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

Got the N95 with my Vodafone upgrade yesterday. A leaflet came in the box that has a code on it for a years worth of Nokia maps. Thing is when I go in and try to enter it through Nokia maps it says the code isnt valid. The leaflet has a Vodafone logo on it (it's the only reference to vodafone on it) so I'm assuming it's a vodafone offer.

EDIT. Sorted it, it works when I select UK & Ireland. Didnt realise it was tryign to update European maps.

May as well turn this into a different thread. Anyone got anythign interesting I can do/put on the N95?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Head over to Nokia Beta Labs (but don't install Nokia Maps new Beta, you'll lose your free upgrade from vodafone). Theres loads of great apps there. http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/

Heres whats on my N95 8GB. Few essentials and some other nice software.
    A Google search will find them all..
    In no particular order....

*Nokia Internet Radio App (fantastic over wifi in the house)
    *PodCasting App (again from Nokia)
    *LCG Jukebox (been using it for a while now and like the sleep function)
    *Sports Tracker (nokia)
    *Share Online (also from Nokia as part of new Ovi service, with an Ovi/FLickr and Vox accounts - handy for uploading media to a net channel)
    *Lightsabre (funny for 5 minutes)
    *Nokia Audiobooks (Another fantastic app with desktop client for audio books in awb format - approx 10 times smaller than mp3 files)
    *Active Notes (nokia - better than the built in notes app)
    *Projekt (essential app and worth every penny as a project outliner)
    *Handy Timer
    *Fake Sounds (flashlite app that generates er fake background noise to simulate u in another enviornment - good fun)
    *pyBudzik (a python script app that allows you to wake up to the radio - you need python 1.4 installed - get it on sourceforge)
    *Klaar Syntrax (cumbersome interface but its an 8 channel sequencer on your phone and its free! - ported from a WM app - more at www.finished.nl)
    *Opera Mini (java replacement for built in web - essential)
    *Opera Mobile (another good alternative to web)
    emTube (watch you tube clips on your phone - infinitely better than You Tubes official portal)
    *Google Maps (watch your data connection!)
    *World Mate (world time, weather and currency converter)
    *Channels (beta app from Nokia - hasn't been updated in a while but offers New York Times and the Sun for offline reading)
    *Gmail App (fairly essential if you have a gmail account)
    *Rotate Me (emulate iphone auto rotate - boring after a while - you need to sign this file yourself so its a bit off putting)
    *flipsilent (a great app that mutes your phone on an incoming call simply by turning the phone over! Very handy. Again you need to sign yourself so its a bit of a long winded process but in this case worth it!)
    *Calcium (replaces built in calc and is miles better)
    *Y-Browser + plugins (essential file browser for moving things around)
    *Bluetooth Keyboard driver from Think Outside. (Using a think outside bluetooth keyboard, turns the N95 into a fully fledged "multimedia computer" as touted by Nokia Boffins.)
    *Location Tagger (another beta app from Nokia which geo tags your photos, a bit buggy at the moment but a nice concept)
    *S Tris 2 (great freeware tetris clone from elements interactive)
    *Snakes (if its not on your phone already - addictive!)
    *Quickoffice upgrade to 5.0 (well worth it if you want to edit office docs on the fly)
    *Resco News (imho best RSS reader for your phone)

Thats about it for now!
    Hope that helps.
    Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Nice find, thanks for the info :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Just got my N96 8gb off ebay. Its o2 branded. Genuine product though. Do you know how I go about updating to the latest firmware dude?
    Thats a serious load of apps.....loving it!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There are a few applications there that I'd not come across before, thanks for the list.

Why is it that the Nokia website does not format itself correctly when viewed from a phone, of all companies websites theirs should be the most accesible from a tiny screen and especially using their inbuilt browser. I could access their page OK if I used OperaMini, but then it seems that they don't provide the install files for running directly from the phone for their applications and it can only be done via a PC first. :confused:

Couple more I forgot to include.. these I don't have on current phone but would recommend having used them regularly in the past.

*Profimail (html based email program, better than the built in plain text one)
    emoze (if you want free push email to the built in email client - you can configure this for gmail if you wish)
    *gizmo (voip client over wifi)
    *truphone (another voip client over wifi)
    *fring (voip and im over wifi, HSDPA, 3G or GPRS)
    *JADP Lite (great free personal finance manager)
    *Tracker (great for assigning applications to the number keys - highly configurable)
    *Conversation (has issues with N95 8GB at the moment)
    *Phone Shortcuts (not as functional as Tracker but an easy way to assign applications to number keys - you specify the duration to press to activate the program etc)
    *Mobilereader (how could I forget this app! fantastic ebook reader with a fully fledged desktop client for converting your documents to prc files)
    *Dorsh (indispensible free java app for real time dart info courtesy of Dal on the boards)
    *iRRemote from Psiloc (a TV remote that works but finding the codes is a pain in the neck if you have a no name brand tv)
    *Widsets (bought by Nokia, recently out of beta. nice rss widget app)

Would be interested to hear what you have on your phones!

• Advertisement

what exactly will opera mini do for my n95 8gb? Is it something to do with the internet browsing?

Its a java based browser. It uses a proxy to render full web pages quickly and strips out unnecessary code thus maximimizing your speed and minimizing your data costs. Its a little like Safari on an iphone in the way that you "zone in" on a part of a page you wish to view. It is a lot faster than the built in browser especially at returning larger web pages like forums etc.
    http://www.operamini.com/

can someone give me a walkthrough on how to download emtube "properly" to n95 8gb? I've tried already but can' seem to get it downloaded sucessfully.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pakards

hi,
    I can`t find it this leaflet in the box,
    I have only 3days trial version, what can I do now??????????????
    I do upgrade for nokia n95 8gb and in store vodafone told me gps navigation is free of charge, which is NOT A TRUE,
    gps have to use network for data and license activation code cost E60 per year.
    What is the deal??????? FREE I mind like any one YOU DON`T HAVE TO PAY.

HELP, PLEASE.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Got the N95 with my Vodafone upgrade yesterday. A leaflet came in the box that has a code on it for a years worth of Nokia maps. Thing is when I go in and try to enter it through Nokia maps it says the code isnt valid. The leaflet has a Vodafone logo on it (it's the only reference to vodafone on it) so I'm assuming it's a vodafone offer.

EDIT. Sorted it, it works when I select UK & Ireland. Didnt realise it was tryign to update European maps.

May as well turn this into a different thread. Anyone got anythign interesting I can do/put on the N95?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭jessconr

i didnt get any leaflet either but i bought my phone new. maybe it was just for an upgrade

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pakards

i didnt get any leaflet about activation code uswell, I done this in 1st of march, where a paid 339 euros, on next day was 129euros, for 400 min&txt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

the free one year sub was a limited vodafone offer. It has now ended. Ifyou don't have a leaflet in the box, you won't be getting it. Its while stocks last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

the free one year sub was a limited vodafone offer. It has now ended. Ifyou don't have a leaflet in the box, you won't be getting it. Its while stocks last.

It has Spiderman 3 on it too. Do they all come liek that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

yes they still have spider man, but not the free sub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Pinkiss

Advertisement