Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shanghai

Options
  • 26-02-2008 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭

I work with 4 guys from Shanghai, and would love to randomly be able to blurt out something relevant to a convo they're having.

What dialect do they speak, and any links to where I could learn it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ChineseSpeaker

hmm they could be speaking shanghainese or just plain old mandarin. it's hard to say...if they're all from Shanghai i'd go with shanghainese so i cant help you there. but if you want to say something in mandarin check out the stickey threads here for some phrases...watch for the tones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Midnight Sun

Hi I lived in Shanghai for 3 years .... my Shanghai friends used to love when I'd blurt out in Shanghainese ('Nong si gang du') usually to a new local aquaintance they would introduced me to) sounds like 'nosa gon du' (that's the phonetic spelling just to make it easier for you to pronounce). It means 'you're an idiot!'. It was priceless to see the look on their faces. It was a great ice breaker!!

Advertisement