Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Rathdrum have a bit of a reputation?

Options
  • 26-02-2008 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

I've been looking on buying around the area I currently live in (Annamoe) and Rathdrum seems to be a nice enough place any time I've passed through it.

However speaking to a few people here they all seem to think that the locals are a bit rough.
    Are there better and worse parts to it or is it true to say it has a rough reputation in general?

I'd find it really hard to believe anywhere in Wicklow would be like Jobstown,Ballymun or Finglas for example in Dublin?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

sure you're not thinking about Rathnew?

don't know much about rathdrum, but its always seemed to be a quiet picturesque spot whenever I've been there

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Longfield wrote: »
    I've been looking on buying around the area I currently live in (Annamoe) and Rathdrum seems to be a nice enough place any time I've passed through it.

However speaking to a few people here they all seem to think that the locals are a bit rough.
    Are there better and worse parts to it or is it true to say it has a rough reputation in general?

I'd find it really hard to believe anywhere in Wicklow would be like Jobstown,Ballymun or Finglas for example in Dublin?

Theres plenty of areas like that in Co. Wicklow but you get bad everywhere.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Rathdrum is kinda has a reputation for being the most inbred town in Ireland. Now i dont know if this is true or not but i find the whole place a little scary.

Rathnew on the other hand, i personally think is lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

irishbird wrote: »
    Rathdrum is kinda has a reputation for being the most inbred town in Ireland. Now i dont know if this is true or not but i find the whole place a little scary.

Rathnew on the other hand, i personally think is lovely

Other way around irishbird?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭paul moore

I live in Avoca, Not a hope of living in Rathdrum !!
    But thats just me,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

Why's that Paul?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Bit of a mixed bag there so, I think I'll just judge it on a house by house basis. It does seem like a nice enough place with no obvious signs of roughness compared to some of Dubin's bad areas.

Thanks guys.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Longfield wrote: »
    Bit of a mixed bag there so, I think I'll just judge it on a house by house basis. It does seem like a nice enough place with no obvious signs of roughness compared to some of Dubin's bad areas.

Thanks guys.

But Rathdrum is so much lower than where you currently reside. Not near as many snow days.

And for anyone wondering what this is about, check weather forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Earlsie

Have wondered through Rathdrum a few times and have always felt it was a nice friendly place, give Rathnew a wide birth !! kip IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

Rathdrum's reputation is not as bad as Rathnew's. But yes, it does have a reputation.

Annamoe on the other hand is gorgeous. Have you looked at Laragh, Roundwood, Glenealy, Avoca or Aughrim?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Peared wrote: »
    Other way around irishbird?

Is it? I hate Rathdrum personally and like Rathnew :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

SarahMc wrote: »
    Rathdrum's reputation is not as bad as Rathnew's. But yes, it does have a reputation.

Annamoe on the other hand is gorgeous. Have you looked at Laragh, Roundwood, Glenealy, Avoca or Aughrim?

Thanks Sarah, I sure have, unfortunately my bank manager isn't so enamoured with these areas as I am!
    I'm in no hurry anyhow, with the property downturn I'm not going to rush into anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Its strange really, i'm from Rathdrum and places like Avoca and Rathnew have always been said to have a bad reputation, i've never had a problem with any of them. Like has been said, theres good and bad everywhere and i certainly wouldn't have a problem walking anywhere at night here

Its very hard to be objective having lived here all my life but my wife is originally english and fell in love with the place first time she seen it and has yet to complain

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

I'm sorry but I despise Rathdrum!!! It's stuck in the 1940's first of all... and it is a kip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Rathnew has a lovely roundabout.

Rathdrum is going through a big change at the moment and will have a nice new town centre, I find the people who dont like rathdrum are people from the other smaller villages in the area, and are jealous and will do anything to knock the place, but thats normal, you'd want to see avoca at night, warewolves I tell ye (joking)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Rathnew also has a nice bridge, on summer days you can stand and wave at the train as its goes past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Its strange really, i'm from Rathdrum and places like Avoca and Rathnew have always been said to have a bad reputation, i've never had a problem with any of them. Like has been said, theres good and bad everywhere and i certainly wouldn't have a problem walking anywhere at night here

Its very hard to be objective having lived here all my life but my wife is originally english and fell in love with the place first time she seen it and has yet to complain

have to say we moved to avoca 18 months ago and have never had an ounce of problems. Not sure how a place gets a bad reputation but it seems everywhere has a bad rep in one way or another

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

nerdysal wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I despise Rathdrum!!! It's stuck in the 1940's first of all... and it is a kip!

Rathdrum needs to be developed ! The square is all boreded up i've only been up there a couple times over the last few months and before that it was years ! Rathnew is fine yeh years ago it did have a bad name but most of wicklow live out on the back road now though any wicklow people that live there will always be regarded as blowins!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭maco

I have a friend who moved there 3 years ago with 2 kids, he seems to be enjoying it so far. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭AMIIAM

Rathdrum is no better or worse than any other Irish town, or village. European citizens are despised everywhere because they came to work, not just "CLOCK IN". "A hundred thousand welcomes, provided you do dot stay too long"

• Advertisement
Advertisement