Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i wanna surf!!!

Options
  • 26-02-2008 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

hi my name is darren i live in dublin and was recently in lahinch i was watchin the surfing and it looks great ive skated for a few years so im sure ill opick it up quite easy but big problem none of my mates are interested and my girlfriend is scared of water. so is there any groups i can go to? or if anybody jus has some information i would be very gratefull cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Surf clubs in Ireland are not as well developed as in other parts of the world (as it’s more of a fledging sport in Ireland)
    Check this out if you’re planning on surfing lahinch http://www.westcoastsurfclub.com/
    This one for the east coast surf club http://www.eastcoastsurfclub.com/
    And finally this is the surfing association website worth checking out for more info on clubs

http://www.isasurf.ie/index.php?page=surfclubs

By the way it’s not that easy to pick up (even if you’re proficient at another balance sport) but the learning is great fun.
    Get a lesson in lahinch and the instructor will be able to point you in the right direction and also make sure you’re safe in the water and know what you’re supposed to be doing.
    By the way, Sligo will be quicker to get to by car from Dublin for surfing and arguably has better waves and more choice of breaks than Clare.
    Strandhill is a nice beach village with good waves in Sligo. Bundoran is also only 30 mins from Sligo.
    Lahinch is a great spot for food, drink etc however so I could understand why you’d want to go there.

my girlfriend is scared of water

You need to get a new one. Just kidding :D

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 darrenn

Thaks alot the world does still have good people around hehe

Thaks alot the world does still have good people around hehe

Don't know about that but plenty of good people out there on the waves, make sure to treat them with courtesy and respect and you'll get the same back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

darrenn wrote: »
    ive skated for a few years so im sure ill opick it up quite easy
    You wouldn't be the first skater to think this. In truth, skating can help a certain amount as you improve, but you'll find it'll help very little as a beginner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

ReefBreak wrote: »
    You wouldn't be the first skater to think this. In truth, skating can help a certain amount as you improve, but you'll find it'll help very little as a beginner.

As a former skater/longboarder I would agree, I find the balancing aspect of surfing easy enough whereas I still find it pretty hard to pop-up quickly and efficiently. Thats the biggest thing for beginners to master IMO.

• Advertisement

Another thing that makes surfing difficult to learn is that if you screw up on a wave, you don’t just dust yourself off and try again, a significant wait can follow and someone else may catch the next wave that comes. A good reason for learners to practice in the whitewater.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

promethius wrote: »
    Another thing that makes surfing difficult to learn is that if you screw up on a wave, you don’t just dust yourself off and try again, a significant wait can follow and someone else may catch the next wave that comes. A good reason for learners to practice in the whitewater.
    Fitness is key here. Surfing is obviously the best way to get surf-fit, but swimming, jogging, yoga, and a healthy lifestyle can go a good way towards helping as well.

Advertisement