Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2nd Hand Golf, high mileage?

Options
  • 26-02-2008 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭

Would buying a MkIV 1.4 Golf with nearly 90,000 miles be a bad idea? How long could I expect to get out of it (considering it would be my first car)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Really depends on how much your paying for it and how it was treated. Once it goes over the 100k miles mark it will become undesirable, people are generally reluctant to buy cars especially petrol models with 100k miles on them. You'd swear that once a car reached 100k miles it just falls apart but that is the way the market is, supply and demand.

Saying that the 1.4 litre engine in the MkIV Golf is well documented as being rather troublesome so a high mileage one might be a potential money pit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

The car I'm looking at has an asking price of 6000. Probably a bit much so I could probably get him down on that.

Any links to the potential pitfalls of the MkIV engine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

This could be the first case of someone adjusting the mileage up on a car. A mkiv golf would be knackered at 90,000 miles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I bought a Mk IV Golf with 108k miles on it in August for 5.5k. Havent had any serious problems with it, its now done 115k.
    Its hard to find a Mk IV Golf with not a lot of mileage on the clock, i think the lowest i seen was 75k when i was looking for mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The car I'm looking at has an asking price of 6000

It might help your case a little bit if you stated what year it is ;)

In the absence of that information, I'd go with the advice bazz26 is posting. Anyway, 6k for a MK IV Golf 1.4, even a later one, with 90k miles is way too much (but quite possibly what many fools would be offering) imho. Buy it and you'll find it impossible to sell on in the near future

Why don't you start up your own thread stating your budget, what kind of car you want, how long you plan to keep it and some driving license and age details, but most importantly: what your priorities are! - and the good people on motors will surely give you some sound advice in what to get

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Golf engines are hit and miss at the best of times tbh, more misses than hits at that. You should consider a Ford Focus superior car in every respect, VWs are way over-rated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

junkyard wrote: »
    Golf engines are hit and miss at the best of times tbh, more misses than hits at that. You should consider a Ford Focus superior car in every respect, VWs are way over-rated.

+1

(and we own one...)

It's a 99 so by the reactions here I'm guessing 6000 grand is way overpriced? I've got about 5500 and I'm looking for a nice hatchback for driving to college and work. I really like the golf for its aesthetics as I think it's a lovely looking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's a 99 so by the reactions here I'm guessing 6000 grand is way overpriced?

In a word, yes. 6k for a nearly 10 year old base Golf is shocking tbh!

As others said, a Focus is a much better car and will cost you less than half that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Mine is a 99 aswell and i was delighted with 5.5k when i compared it to other priced golfs. I actually bought one for 8k which broke down twice in the first week(timing belt 45 minutes after i took it off the lot and the gear box the day after i had got it back from the garage). Got my money back and then found one for 5.5k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

€6k for a 9 year old Golf is just silly money.

For around €6k you have alot of options:

Seat Leon (basically a Golf underneth)
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/SEAT/Leon/1.4/921594/

Ford Focus:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Ford/Focus/LX/852002/

Opel Astra:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=921352

Honda Civic:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Honda/Civic/car/872795/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Why not look at something like this maybe?

EDIT: Or what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^ :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭thesoulfulldude

junkyard wrote: »

do you have experience of this or just trying to put them down? mines at 100k and NOTHIN wrong mk3 tho not 4. i know somebody whos had 8 golfs and never had a problem, never heard about any major problems

there solid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

First hand experience, the engines suffer from piston slap whereby the block becomes elongated and the engines start to burn oil and lose power (engines sound tappety) it's common according to VW when I enquired about it, the only cure is a new engine block, I've seen it numerous times since and most other car dealers I know always watch out for it too. I've seen it on cars with only 40k miles!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Focus. No contest. Golfs are completely overrated, and as for reliability, lets just not go there. 1.4 is a noted money pit however, but the other engines would be ok I imagine. Still though, a Focus is a much better car, in just about every meassure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Catscar

I'm currently looking at 06 golf's, I have been asking around about them and aparently the mark IV tends to burn a nice drop of oil.

Golf are a brilliant car, No comparision to a Focus!!! Stick with a golf mate. My hubby has a 1985 Mark I convertible and its still in fab condition and drives brilliantly apart from the fact it has no power steering!! Pull the arms out of ya.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

1.4 focuses are as slow as Christmas. It might be ok for a new driver though. If you want a quick little 1.4 get something Japanese.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I kno i'm biased (have one) but the mk4 golfs are a fine car imo. I've put 60k on mine and although there have been problems (blown turbo mostly but sh1t happens with turbo's) its been a great car for me and owes me nothing. If you are going to get one however, make it a turbo diesel or the 1.8T gti. If you don't want performance then get the 90hp tdi which can still move. A mate sold his at 180k with no problems ever!! The 1.4's are gutless and the 1.6's are heavy on juice. V5's and 1.8's are pointless and rare.

I think that the focus is a good car but I think the golfs are better inside, have better engines (in the diesels and the 1.8T), look way better and don't look as dated. The focus has better roadholding tho.

It has to be a 1.4 cos it's my first car and I'm on a provisional so I don't wanna get fleeced on the insurance. going to a dealer tomorrow to see an 00 with 67000 miles on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

It has to be a 1.4 cos it's my first car and I'm on a provisional so I don't wanna get fleeced on the insurance. going to a dealer tomorrow to see an 00 with 67000 miles on it.

Ask them for a long warranty and a few gallons of oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

i got my mk4 golf 99 1.4 16v 7 months ago at 103000 miles have 109000 on it now and not one problem.. i payed 4500 euro for it.. its a 3dr with alloys has service history aswell so think i got a good deal

Advertisement