Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Generator Temporarily

Options
  • 26-02-2008 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Just wondering would it be ok to wire the esb tails at the meter cabinet up to a generator in a finished house until the esb get around to runnng in their supply, house is 100% tested to satisfaction.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Yes. Just make sure you do not over load the generator. I would not be so keen on using expensive electronic equipment in the house such as a plasma while you are working off the generator. That is unless it is a very fancy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

agreed, i'd only run lights , maybe a cooker and washing machine etc. try to stay away from fluorescent lights and electronics, even with surge arrestors.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

that's sound lads, the people have actually already moved in to the house in question (had to second fix with people living in, that was a new one to me) they've been using the jenny to power everything anyway with a load of extension leads. How long do the esb typically take to connect a new house from the time the receive the cert in your experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Stoner wrote: »
    agreed, i'd only run lights , maybe a cooker and washing machine etc. try to stay away from fluorescent lights and electronics, even with surge arrestors.

Not a cooker.

Unless its a huge genny! :D

Any element heating equipment like a kettle for instance requires very high KVA...

A kettle for example is harder than most common Builders tools which rum at aprox 800wat or perhaps 1000watt.

A kettle is around 2.5kva! or 2500 watt

Advertisement