Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed gear n00b

Options
  • 26-02-2008 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey lads, I was thinking of getting a new bike for my commute (about 5km each way) since it is coming into the summer. Budget is about €500

I did a bit of research on the web and just found out about fixed gear bikes.

I'm interested in a fixie as they look to be a good bit lighter than normal bikes, but I have a few questions.

Any chance one of ye could lend me your expertise and point me in the right direction:

I want to try building one, am I mad? I can see that I could buy a complete one from evans for about 500.. but I have an urge to give building it a go.

My main concern is weight, but anything but a CroMo frame seems to be out of my budget... where is good to get a cheap but decent frame? This seems like a good place to start.

Would anyone have a potential parts list or any advice at all?

Cheers

EDIT: Oh yea, is €500 a realistic budget for all parts, tools etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Don't get a fixie because you main concern is weight; they are not necessarily any lighter than a road bike. In theory they can be put practically often not. Also, bear in mind that where low weight is most useful is when you are going up a hill- which is exactly when you will be cursing your fixie ;-)

There are plenty of other good reasons to get a fixie but this is not one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

With your budget I'd say go for an off the peg bike like a Fuji Track or Bianchi Pista. Fixed gear frames are going up and up in price as it's becoming more popular, so unless you find an old road bike with lots of parts you can use your costs will add up pretty quickly.

My first fixie was an old road frame with most of the parts still on it, but it was never quite perfect.

You might try a Kona Paddy Wagon in Cycleogical and see how you like it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

supersanta wrote: »
    I'm interested in a fixie as they look to be a good bit lighter than normal bikes, but I have a few questions.

As blorg pointed out, most people don't pick a fixie because of weight. It's more the simplicity of the bike, with less moving parts to maintain.
    My main concern is weight, but anything but a CroMo frame seems to be out of my budget...

Go down to the track on Sundrive Road and you'll see loads of guys racing on steel frames. Nothing wrong with them and one would probably be a more comfortable ride than alu.
    Oh yea, is €500 a realistic budget for all parts, tools etc...

Sounds a bit low. Fact of the matter is that building a bike, especially at entry level is usually more expensive than buying the complete package and that's not even taking into account buying tools. Still, you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself, learning a whole lot and building something up just the way you want it.

Advertisement