Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eliminating tension playing guitar

Options
  • 26-02-2008 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

I've got a few questions about playing guitar standing up.

First off I was told by my teacher to play with the guitar neck horizontal. I don't find this to be the most suitable as it means I have to play guitar very high up on my chest almost and with the strap tightened to allow this it tends to strain the back a bit as there's not much give.

It tends to make the area around the nut a bit of a stretch, open chords like C and G usually have half the strings muted plus the fingers are at an angle to the frets rather than directly above.

I suppose neck position and the different ways to play standing up depend on the height etc. of the player.

I suppose trial and error is the best way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

The guitar neck shouldn't be horizontal. It's debatable whether there's any 'right' way to play guitar, but whatever the answer is, it certainly isn't that.

Your teacher is an idiot if that's what he said - maybe you misunderstood him?

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

Could be for sittng down but that's highly unlikely too, I'll have to ask him next lesson.

Would a better strap help back ache? All I have is a standard fender strap I got with the guitar. Maybe something more comfortable that distributes the wieght better.

Thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

A wide strap will help spread the load better so the strap isn't digging into your shoulders. A heavy guitar like a LP wouldn't be advisable if you have back trouble also.

Apart from that, a guitar shouldn't strain your back at all, if something hurts, stop doing it and find out why. Wearing it higher will put less strain on your wrists, especially if you need to use a classical hand posture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I agree, a wider strap helps spread the weight and also helps the guitar to balance easier. :)

The neck shouldn't be perfectly horizontal when you're standing up playing. That'd be pretty uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Paolo_M

http://hotmusicbeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/slash.jpg

I think this guy would debate the horizontal rule with your teacher!!

fobster wrote: »
    I've got a few questions about playing guitar standing up.

First off I was told by my teacher to play with the guitar neck horizontal. I don't find this to be the most suitable as it means I have to play guitar very high up on my chest almost and with the strap tightened to allow this it tends to strain the back a bit as there's not much give.

It tends to make the area around the nut a bit of a stretch, open chords like C and G usually have half the strings muted plus the fingers are at an angle to the frets rather than directly above.

I suppose neck position and the different ways to play standing up depend on the height etc. of the player.

I suppose trial and error is the best way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

For a laugh there I tried to play my guitar with the neck horizontal. I gave up pretty quickly! My preferred position to have the guitar at is just slightly above waist height. I've no idea if that's good or bad posture-wise, it's just what I'm used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Play whatever way you want....what feels most comfortable is important.....and also the look.....you have to look good too.:cool:

Coolest guitarist on the planet is Slash.....does he play horizontal....nope....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

FWIW I find it easier to play when the guitar is fairly high up. IE when your standing the bridge should be at around nut height, if you see what i mean;)
    But horizontal? I dont get it.
    IMHO The neck should be at a height and angle that minimises the angle you have to bend the wrist of your fretting hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Maybe it orks if the guitar is really high up on the chest...like a the Arctic Monkeys.

I find it easier to play at exactly a 45 degree angle...although i have never measured it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭jmck87

The best way is to play whatever you feel suits you. In other words, there is no correct way.

Most guitarists dont play with a horizontal fret board, but as mentioned Alex Turner of the Arctic Monkeys does a good job of it....but you will need to have the guitar nearly at your chest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement