Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Boundary

Options
  • 26-02-2008 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I am trying to buy a new house at the moment. It's detached in a new estate that is being built.

The contracts now show that what I thought was my driveway is actually owned by the management company - it's a small area with a low wall to either side - enough parking for two cars. I will not own any of the land immediately in front of my own house.

Has anyone else seen this before? Is it normal? I'm already edgy about the whole management company thing but this seems a bridge too far.

My natural instinct is to walk away at this point but I don't know if this is a good or a bad thing. What should I do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accomodation & Property

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Three comments.

1. Why is there a management company if its a house?
    2. It might be an error or
    3. All the houses are like this so that the management company can manage external areas properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Victor wrote: »
    Three comments.

Lots of new estates require you to pay management companies, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Victor wrote: »
    Three comments.

Many new estates (with houses) have a management company, and are managed developments. They may even have a gated entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Do you have any driveway at all? or any fencing/wall in front of your house?If your saying the driveway that leads to your house belongs to the managment company that is very odd but if the house has walls/fence around it and part of the driveway is inside that wall then don't be worried about it,legally you wouldn't own it but it would be considered that houses parking space,if you could could you post a picture that'd give us a better idea?
    Also if you mean theres a driveway outside of your house on the outer wall/fence then its not odd that you don't own any part of that as its a driveway for everyone.
    As I said if you could upload a picture it'd be much easier to understand and give you the right answer :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

The management company owns the ground under your house as well. The key issue is whether or not the driveway is being leased to you with the house. Check your title deeds!

Advertisement