Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC Stalling at bootup

• 26-02-2008 9:53pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My computer sometimes stalls at bootup. It's a dell Dimension 5000, 3GB Ram. 1x 320BG and 1x750GB Hard drives, onboard everyhting else.

When the PC Loads up and gives the big DELL splash screen, there is a little progress bar the the bottom, it gets 3/4 of the way across and stalls. I have to hold the power button for 5 seconds and try again. Sometimes it will do it again a few times, others it works perfectly the next time. It has been happening sporadically for a few weeks.

How can I try to diagnose the problem?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Check out the event viewer, that'll tell u exactly what's happening and u can use it to locate where the problem is the next time it happens.

I'm assuming u know where to find the event viewer ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

It doesn't save entries in the event viewer until windows begins to load-that isn't happening here. It's still at the dell BIOS screen. It's going to be some hardware fault.
    It's worth reseating the memory and hard drive etc. first.
    Have you got the dell diagnostics cd? Boot to that and run a full system diagnostic. It'll narrow it down to a particular component

Advertisement