Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

air rifles and the law

Options
  • 26-02-2008 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

hi guys
    can anyone tell me how air rifles are treated in the new regulations?
    I know they need a licence similar to a .22 rimfire but in particular I,m wondering about thinks like fitting moderators,getting semi auto air rifles,and also some now have a military "look" about them which the local guard might not like.
    also what can be hunted with an air rifle in this country if anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

They're treated precisely the same as any other firearm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

They are treated the same as any firearm,, in relation to attachments and their appearance in terms of the restricted list.
    In terms of hunting you can hunt any wild animal which is not protected except for wild birds of any sort. So rabbits mink, Grey squirrel, rats are all considered fair game..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

marlin wrote: »
    like fitting moderators,

Interesting hole in the restricted list only exempts .22 rim fire moderators so air rifle moderators are to be restricted!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Sidney you make a good point and from my reading correct

Interesting hole in the restricted list only exempts .22 rim fire moderators so air rifle moderators are to be restricted!
    Fair play to you for spotting that..:eek: It just goes to show you how they rushed that bill through without any real thought.(imagine that).. Sure the auld crossbow is also restricted now.(thats ok because they look dangerous:rolleyes:).
    Do they not realise that they serve the country better and make a real reduction in premature death by making it compulsory for all walkers to wear a reflective arm band while walking on unlit roads where no foot path exists.. ;)
    No body likes an overdose of a car.......:mad: I would think that there are a lot of people whom are only injured and these figures fairly high..
    Are the number of deaths from legal firearms on the increase or whats going on in ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭marlin

thanks guys
    what,s the thinking on semi autos?

Gives you the second shot.. Very handy if you were shooting rats in or around a pig farm or similar place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

do you mean semi-auto air-rifle?

methinks the way things are going, it is going to be difficult to get past the restricted list on that, most multi-shot air-rifles now come with moderators, or readily threaded for them. i wish someone could suss out the cans and cants as regards air-rifles, i tried to wade through the legal jargon, but im not great at that sort of thing. give me an electrical/pneumatic schematics in german-no problem, but legal jargon?? forget it.

Advertisement