Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a device to measure watt usage

• 26-02-2008 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Hello ,I've rang around today looking for something that can tell me how many watts an appliance is using.

I was advised that it can't be done because it's the ampage I need to measure within the unit itself.And then I calculate the time and ampage etc.

Is there anything at all that can read the draw passing through a cable ,as a reading of watts or the like ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

can you plug the device in? do you need to get to the guts?

is it single or three phase?

if its a single phase unit with a plug, you can get a power line analyser, you plug it in to the socket and then you plug the device into it, if this is what you want i'll look into where we got ours.
    clamp meters are not great for this .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Stoner wrote: »
    can you plug the device in? do you need to get to the guts?

is it single or three phase?

if its a single phase unit with a plug, you can get a power line analyser, you plug it in to the socket and then you plug the device into it, if this is what you want i'll look into where we got ours.
    clamp meters are not great for this .

This does, Watts, Amps, Power Factor and VA.
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=38343&doy=26m2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

10-10-20 wrote: »
    This does, Watts, Amps, Power Factor and VA.
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=38343&doy=26m2

Your a fookin star! :)

Many thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

_Brian_ wrote: »
    Your a fookin star! :)

Many thanks!

Its a bit dear at the min, about €40.... they do have them on special every couple of months, they usually come down to around €20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I'll keep my eye out ,I don't mind paying for it though.
    I was worried about a couple of dell machines at home ,not having enough power in the psu.

So this is a big relief :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement