Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dissociation from the church.

• 26-02-2008 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

Quick question, how can I leave the church formally?
    Do I need to write to a bishop? Is the process lengthy?
    In conclusion, I am totally lost when it comes to the issue of leaving the church.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Naikon wrote: »
    In conclusion, I am totally lost when it comes to the issue of leaving the church.
    I would suggest having a chat with your local parish priest first and he will advise you. It is something I must do myself I left the Catholic Church over 20 years ago and have not approached anyone about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I dont know of any formal procedure other than discommunication, and thats only for when you do something really bad. My guess is filling in something different on the census sheet is as good as youre going to get. I'd be worried that sending a letter to the bishop might p1ss the local pp off and he mightnt let you in the church for weddings and christenings etc.

eoin5 wrote: »
    I dont know of any formal procedure other than discommunication, and thats only for when you do something really bad. My guess is filling in something different on the census sheet is as good as youre going to get. I'd be worried that sending a letter to the bishop might p1ss the local pp off and he mightnt let you in the church for weddings and christenings etc.
    The main reason so many people who have left the Roman Catholic Church but still hang in there "officially" is because they want their kids to have a wedding that "looks good" or a funeral that looks "godly" I personally think this is hypocritical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,504 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

rip up a picture of the pope masturbating the 'virgin mary' on national television

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

The main reason so many people who have left the Roman Catholic Church but still hang in there "officially" is because they want their kids to have a wedding that "looks good" or a funeral that looks "godly" I personally think this is hypocritical.

This is what gets me at a moral level...
    How the Fu1k can I be an "Atheist"?. Yet still be a "Catholic"
    ROLF at Akrasia's suggestion:D

• Advertisement

This is what gets me at a moral level...
    How the Fu1k can I be an "Atheist"?. Yet still be a "Catholic"
    ROLF at Akrasia's suggestion:D
    Most of Ireland are probably thinking the same way. How many "athiests" are there out there that will eventually end up in at Catholic Church for their funeral service? I would put it at most of the country, certainly most of my own family.

I was only ever at one truely Athiest funeral service in my life. Several Years ago I compiled a playlist of a mates favourite music for a funeral. (Something I would never do again) Tracks were selected from Black Sabbath, (Ozzy Ozbourne) The Stones, Judas Priest and Alice Cooper. The service went straight from the funeral home to Mt Gerome cremetorium, no priest, no bible reading nothing but just a few words said from her husband and family.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Few threads here if you're really interested:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055063723
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055184468
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054853190
    I am totally lost when it comes to the issue of leaving the church.
    I usually leave the way I came in.

Why do you think you need to officially leave? They ain't got no control over you.

Dades wrote: »
    Why do you think you need to officially leave? They ain't got no control over you.
    They like to think that they have control over you :D

They like to think that they have control over you :D
    My confirmation money is long spent!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Bduffman

I don't think thats being hypocritical at all. What does it matter that an atheist goes to a church & partakes in ceremonies there? I mean, if you're an atheist then the ceremony is just an empty symbol. I've often gone to religious ceremonies mainly to please family, friends etc. and to respect the wishes of how other people want to celebrate their wedding, baptism etc etc. Can't see anything wrong with that. At least not compared to those who profess to believe in somthing but never practice.

• Advertisement

Bduffman wrote: »
    I don't think thats being hypocritical at all. What does it matter that an atheist goes to a church & partakes in ceremonies there? I mean, if you're an atheist then the ceremony is just an empty symbol. I've often gone to religious ceremonies mainly to please family, friends etc. and to respect the wishes of how other people want to celebrate their wedding, baptism etc etc. Can't see anything wrong with that. At least not compared to those who profess to believe in somthing but never practice.

It is hypocritical if someone does it for keeping up appearances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The Catholic Church has power and authority because of the numbers they claim to represent. If everyone that was not a Catholic officially withdrew then the Church would be less able to throw its weight about.

I for one am not very comfortable with the notion of adding to their numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

send a letter to your parish (there may be an email address) and formally ask that they correct whatever records they have of you to read that you are no longer a member of the church. people should do this as the church will use numbers to influence goverment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Akrasia wrote: »
    rip up a picture of the pope masturbating the 'virgin mary' on national television
    Wouldn't that be defending the Virgin's honour, since you are destroying the offending picture?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

i know this might sound a little crazy, but i think it would be great if there was an organisation you sent some sort of application form to, and then they took you off the Church's books. I'm not entirely comfortable with going near priests to request my official letter of ejection.
    As was said earlier it would take the wind out of their sails to not be able to say we represent X number of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Zillah wrote: »
    The Catholic Church has power and authority because of the numbers they claim to represent. If everyone that was not a Catholic officially withdrew then the Church would be less able to throw its weight about.

I for one am not very comfortable with the notion of adding to their numbers.
    It doesn't matter how many the Church claim to have, its how many people claim to belong to the Church in the Census.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

What would be the easiest way of getting discommunicated? Might as well leave with a bang:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Few threads here if you're really interested:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055063723
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055184468
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054853190

I usually leave the way I came in.

Thanks for pulling those up. Plenty of info:)

Wreck wrote: »
    What would be the easiest way of getting discommunicated? Might as well leave with a bang:D
    Write a registered letter to Pope Benedict telling him that he is just an ordinary man dressed up in a religious costume and that he is not inflammable.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Obni

If you can't ditch your wife and get your hands on Anne Boleyn, then check out
    http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05678a.htm

Seems the fault incurring excomunication must be external
    "Internal failings, e.g. doubts entertained against the Catholic Faith, cannot incur excommunication."
    Belief or lack thereof is of no consequence. You must commit an atheistical(?) act.

So, start your own heretical sect, harm a member of the clergy, or damage church property. Most of the document seems to deal with the members, property or authority of the church.

You've got to admire the temerity of a church that can shield child rapists and their procurers, but can be outraged enough to excommunicate "Those who collect stipends for Masses and make profits out of them by having the Masses celebrated in places where the stipends are not so high."

If all else fails Wreck, section VII.A.(b).(3) highlights the dire consequences for those indulging in duelling. Rather than enter into debate with thiests, challenge them to pistols at dawn...

Here endeth my late-night, catholic apostate rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Write a registered letter to Pope Benedict telling him that he is just an ordinary man dressed up in a religious costume and that he is not inflammable.:)

best post i've seen all february!!:D

I had a dream that I stole Len Brennan's bishop hat and sent him pictures of it from all around the world like that add with the garden gnome. He didnt see the funny side of it. I'd say something like that would do the job nicely too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

It should also be noted that the church still regards excommunicants as members. Excommunication is more like taking a 'time out' to think about what you've done. When you're really really sorry, you can go to mass again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Intresting thrend, and the other thrends http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055184468

If you where baptised outside Ireland but all the rest here who do you contact, under freedom of information do they the church have my info, and proclaim to repersent me. I never thought much about this but now I am concerned. Yes I have read the "if your an atheist who cares what the church thinks" well this site -(boards)- has many users, if I was to leave, without deleating my account, then I am classed still as a member. I want to "stick it to them" as accourding to the church I am still a Catholic, they don't know or care if I don't attend mass.

Also in Germany you have to pay a religion tax that goes to your religion, what if they started doing that here, would any atheist be happy paying a religion tax. The church still counts us as members. For all those atheists that are still classed as members of the faith lets bring in the religeous Tax.

how about making leaving the church a sticky

how about making leaving the church a sticky
    Updated the charter (which people are supposed to read) with links to the prior threads.

Anything to avoid another goddamn sticky.

not a big fan of too many stickies, but i think this subject is more appropiate for sticky as repeatedly enquiry.

put the church one up and drop the other two down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

Oh yeah you can I did it before. It's called "The Act of Defection" and every Catholic can exercise the right under Vatican II. I did it before. You get a form I can't remember where though I got it and you just jot in some details and get the signature of a witness and send it to Diarmuid Martin and then you'll get a letter back just warning you of marriage procedures if ever you decided to get married in a Catholic Church (not that many ever would). The response letter isn't nasty or anything they're nice about it. Also they are supposed to remove your baptismal records from your parish and notify you although I haven't heard back since.

It's a good idea if you feel that you no longer which to be a member.

Although I'm not too sure about other churches and religions. If you're Jewish you can never not be a Jew as far as I'm aware because it's also an ethnical linage which stems from your maternal side.

Anyway good luck with it! PM if you need any more information. ;)

Dan

• Advertisement
Advertisement