Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting Glass From Shower Door?

Options
  • 26-02-2008 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

my Shower door is rubbing off the door frame on the bottom left corner (see image). This occurs on the side opposite to the hinges.

I need to lift the door slightly to make it close due to it settling.

What i Need to know is, is there any way of grinding down the glass slightly in the affected corner? The glass is about 7mm thick.

Cheers for any advice.:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

would not chance touching the glass.
    Can u put some small washers in the hinges to lift it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

By law the glass is supposed to be toughened. This means that if you try and grind any bit off you'll be picking thousands of little pieces off the floor.

As the last poster has said, find a way of adjusting the door at the hinges so that it has space to close properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

By the looks of image one.

Has your door been installed up-side-down? It just seems that way by the name plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

mildews wrote: »
    By the looks of image one.

Has your door been installed up-side-down? It just seems that way by the name plate.

Hehe yeah i know - the badge is on the top too at the opposite side!

The Door Frame is screwed into a wall and then the door into the frame.

The frame is sealed to the wall with sealant.

To move it would involve drilling more holes in the frame beside the existing holes (Which might not work! - might make one large hole).

Thanks anyway guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

pls post pic of top of door/frame.

ps whats in the 3 bottles?:)

• Advertisement

As requested - Yes i Know I need to clean the shower. Thats tomorrows job :(

The bottles are Aldi Power Force cleaning agents - window, shower and antibacterial :)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

Is it catching on the top left too? It looks like the door has loosened from the top right. There may be an adjustment screw just by the top hinge.

P.S. your right it does need a good clean !!!!!

Cheers mildews for the replies.

no Adjustment screw unfortunately. if you check out the 2nd imgae where I've outlined in red, you can see where its actually the wall that slants inwards from top to bottom - (there's 2 frames) the wall frame is flush with the wall and the door frame isfluch with the tray, and so this is causing the problem :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

From what you say, the whole unit was incorrectly installed. The two frames should be parallel. But...

Mutz wrote: »
    I need to lift the door slightly to make it close due to it settling.

makes it seem as the door did close correctly at some time. If that is the case, and there are no adjustment screws on the hinges then maybe the screws holding the frame to the wall have loosened?

There is no way you are going to be able to cut the glass so tweaking the frame is your only hope of correcting the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

Your Shower door is incorrectly installed. Inside the shower door ,on both sides remove the plastic channel that covers the mounting screws. Loosen the mounting bolts and re-align the shower door within its frame until the bottom of the door is exactly parallel to the shower tray and can open and close without catching. Re-tighten bolts and reinstate the plastic strip

• Advertisement
Advertisement