Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scumbag kids throws rocks onto my house

Options
  • 26-02-2008 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Almost every day kids are throwing rocks onto my house's windows. It started few months ago. My house s placed by the road and busy foothpath. None of windows were smashed yet, but landlord told me that before we moved in, some kid smashed one of windows I'm afraid about safety of me and my girlfriend. I called gardai, but they have no idea how to help me. Maybe you can give me some advices? I'm desperated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

You have two options....

1. buy a big ass flame thrower and next time you see the little feckers use it on them

2.Move out

:D No.Only joking.Report it to the guards as that is the right way to go about things;)

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

A lot of hassle but I would move if thats an option. What happened to those two poor Polish lads over the weekend serves as a timely reminder as to the dangers of trying to reproach these scumbags on your own. It seems to be affecting you and impacting on your day to day life. You have examined all options and I could only see your problems escalating.

Hope it works out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Jackus

Move out - each problem with ASB comes up on this forum, i see that nswer. Seems like further allowance for kids to do bad things.
    The problem is, I'm from Poland as well and I'm afraid that any attack could be racial or something like that. I was never aggresive to anybody in Ireland. We try to live normal life. But probably because of attacks I will go back to Poland soon. Life is worth more than euro coins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I doubt they are doing it just because you are Polish OP. A lot of Polish people I meet are massive with a body like a wrestler. I wouldn't mess with them!
    A stereotype ok but a positive one, no denying a lot of Easterns European are stronger and fitter than your average Irish guy.

While the easy option is to get a few mates and buy a few hurleys and introduce the scumbags to hurling Polish style!, probably best to move out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

ASK your landlord to fit plastic glass on the inside of windows ,its plastic looks like glass,buts its totally unbreakable, rocks bounce off it.IF he refuses then move outjust place it on windows facing the road.THE gardai cant do much about kids under 18 throwing stones,cos in acourtroom they are treated as children anyway.SOME BUS shelters have it ,as the glass is often vandalised.ITcoststwice as much as ordinary glass.

• Advertisement

micmclo - You're right, sometimes poles have massive bodies. I'm the skinny one because health problems in my past etc. ;)
    gamer - Your advice can be helpful. Thanks a lot

It is so sad, that this nice and friendly , tolerant country becoming be terrible for us. But anyway everytime I'm on holiday in ma family town in Poland i always tell stories about good Irish i met in Ireland. I hope it will be always like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just move, the market is staturated with rentals these days (or appears to be) so you should'nt have too much trouble finding a better location - ie stay away from alleys, end houses, 'common' areas where kids gather and look for an apartment above the first two floors! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Jackus.. If I remember correctly you live just in the estate down from me.

We have had problems with youths throwing rocks and bottles at out houses and windows.. We have had a few meetings with our residents association, gardai and community reps over the last month. We have been able to identify some of the culprits. The problems have eased a lot and at least we have names now. I was able to identify two of the houses that they come from and the gardai have knocked up to them so the youths are well aware a large number of residents are on to them. All of the youths come from the nearby council estate.

I could almost guarantee that the same people are causing trouble down your way.. Have you ever seen the gangs? Do they go around in a group of about 10.. mixture of boys and girls and they always have a white dog with them? If so then they are the same youths that had been causing trouble up our way.

I think I saw this group few times. I remember one boy with two stilts, but they didn't give a sh#t about my house (yet). Usually is 1 or 2 kids age about 10 - 14. Usually they do that when they going home from shool ( about 2 p.m.) However there was one accident about one hour ago - a boy aged about 12 was throwing alone.
    I might need a help in future. I think about meeting for my estate ,the problem is that I don't know any of community livingin my estate. Most of them are immigrants like me and they are afraid or just have no time to integrate and stay against ASB

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Jackus wrote: »
    but landlord told me that before we moved in, some kid smashed one of windows
    It's not you, it's your house that's the target. Some houses will become an easy target, due to its location. Just move elsewhere. Bit of advice, yeah: next time you see a house, come back on a Saturday night at around 10pm. If it looks like a scumbag area, don't move in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Jackus.

Ring Blanchardstown Garda Station and ask to speak to the community guard for your area.. There are 4 for the estates where we live. Explain the situation to them and ask them if they have had any other problems.

Each time a rock gets thrown at your window ring the guards.. Even if the youths have gone ring the guards.. If they are throwing stones on the way home from school see if you can find out what school they go to. Ask the community guard to go to this school and have a word with the principal.

If these scumbags think they are getting away with things they will continue doing it. Talk to you neighbours. Is it happening to other houses? Ring Fingal County Council and ask for the local Fingal councillors for the area and speak to them. Is there a residents association in your estate?

Go onto www.neighbours.ie and you can set up a forum for your estate. That is what I did with the estate I live in. I went around all the houses with an ad for the website and put them in all the letterboxes. A lot of people in the estate joined the forum and we share information.

Our estate is by no means free of ASB. Only last week my next door neighbours car was bombarded with rocks but its not as bad as it used to be.

Another great idea. I was wondering why there is no forum for my estate, and now I can be moderator :) I get used to neighbourhood where everybody knows each other. It was very safe. I came from small town and Dublin, as all cities of the world is very anonymous. It would be great to create friendly community relationships in areas we live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I think neighbours.ie was set up to be a forum for individual areas, but I'm not sure what level of usage the site has these days. Might be worth checking it out though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

OP should move, you cannot do anything about ASB in Ireland, its been like that in certain areas for donkeys years and won't change until the law changes.

Your a renter, plenty of other accommodation to rent in D15. You have freedom of movement to get away from ASB as it's not your house, unlike owner-occupiers to have a quiet life, if i was in your shoes, i'd move asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Some very good ideas and posts in this thread so just my 2c; its probably not racially motivated, as the_syco pointed out it was happening before you moved in. We had a similar problem in our estate a few months ago, what we did was to keep calling the community guard. Every time it happened, we called again.

By the end of it there were three very irritated burly looking gardaí in the back garden, who physically caught the little shites and hauled them off. Didn't hear from them since; I don't know why and I don't really care. We also spoke to the neighbours, who helped us out on several occasions (like letting me know there was a kid in the back garden lighting the clothes line on fire).

Many of these kids come from families in social and affordable housing, which means they can and will be booted out by the council if the conduct themselves in an antisocial way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Jackus wrote: »
    But probably because of attacks I will go back to Poland soon. Life is worth more than euro coins

Don't leave the country because of a few scumbags, simply move out and find a more secure house/apartment.

YOU HAVE the option of moving to apartment on 2nd floor, i notice some apartments have window bars ground floor for security, this is not racist behavior,its just stupid kids .ITS HARD TO DO ANYTHING ,if you know noone else in the estate,maybe take photos of this gang as they pass everyday, ring the gardai when it happens.I think that glass is called plexi glass,its not really as relective as ondinary glass ,but its UNBREAKABLE, cannot be shattered.IT CAN BE PUT OUTSIDE ,or inside,fits in any frame,window frame.ITS good for security, as means noone can BREAK the glass to enter the building.

I will ask my landlord about plexi windows. My camera will be ready to take photos. I hope Garda can do anything after viewing pictures. Thanks a lot for all

if the landlord keeps reciepts he can claim all the cost of windows against tax, if hes registered for tax,re rental income.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

OP - move - my family lived in a house we owned that had fierce problems with youngsters hanging around, drinking, drugs, sex, etc and this was a private estate - in my opinion, parents don't give 2 sugars where their kids are nowadays once they're not bothering them - your quality of life shouldn't be effected by them - good luck and be careful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Pretty depressing that if the OP were to go out and beat the living daylights out of these dirty little scumbags, HE would be the one going to court/jail over it.

Jackus - please don't judge Ireland because of these lowlife knackers. I'd advise you to move out of Blanchardstown. Have you looked at houses around ashtown or navan road area?

Don't worry. Most of Irish are more friendly for me than many Polish :)

Advertisement