Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Suggestions for 1st Car in €3000 price range

Options
  • 26-02-2008 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭

I know its a broad question but what would you reccommend... Is there any lesser known 2nd hand cars that ideally would be reliable and fairly economical to run/service. looking for a 1.3 to 1.6 engine but I am clueless about cars. Any tips and suggestions appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Mazda 323 would be good. as would Ford Fiesta/Mazda 121.
    Suzuki Baleno is also very underrated and as a result very cheap.

I'd stick with Japanese cars generally. (and I know the 121 is really a Ford!)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mazda 323f:
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mazda/323/323f-coupe/879807/

Ultra reliable while still being a bit stylish.

Since it is your first car get a few insurance quotes first before buying so that you get an idea of what you can afford to insure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

I started driving in a 1.2 Clio. Good reliable car imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

BFassassin wrote: »
    I started driving in a 1.2 Clio. Good reliable car imo

Was about to say..

99 onwards.
    The clio is a perfect first car. Ridiculously cheap insurance, great power for a 1.2 as well..the great thing about them is even when you get too used to let go but want more power..you always have a 1.4, 1.6 ,1.8, 2.0 and 3.0 to go up to.. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭breadmond

get yourself an old mini. cheap insurance, tax and fuel and class to drive. I have one and its my first car

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Forget about an old Mini for a start... unless you're a mechanic, and before anyone flames me, I've had "old" Minis since 1983, love them to bits but they are not for the non enthusiast.

I would also advise you to avoid Mazda, horrendous spare parts prices when it goes wrong.

Get yourself a Corolla or a Focus, best mix between reliability, economy and cost of maintenance.

how often does a 323 go wrong?

OMSP for a 00 (May) 1.3 323 4SA = €3083
    OMSP for a 00 (May) 1.4 Focus 4SA = €5412

Both at 70k

Not Gospel but a reasonable guide as to their respective desirability.

323 is not ugly, so depreciation must be for some other reason.

Anecdotal or not, Mazda spares are over priced compared with the opposition.

The Focus is more desirable to some because of its image as a good handling car and its more modern design.
    the OP is looking for reliability and a car that is economical to run/service.
    The 323 is probably the most reliable car of that era bar none.

some mazda parts are pricier than on European cars alright, but you're not as likely to need them. Also the money saved vs. a Focus buys a lot of spares!

Colm, the Focus is more desirable to MOST for whatever reason, hence its higher resale value.

Focus has a bullet proof reliability record amongst the trade, coupled with the fact that just about everything can be sourced OEM spec through Motor Factors at sensible money...

323 is a fine car, but it can't compete here.

• Advertisement

If you compare what you get for 3k in both cars, the Maxda would be a better choice. likely to be newer and lower mileage. thus less of a risk.

The OP didn't ask us to suggest obviously desirable high priced cars, they're looking for lesser known (and therefore cheaper), yet utterly reliable cars. The Focus hardly qualifys then does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

If I remember correctly, the majority of 323's on the road have a 1.3 engine. I've driven one of them. Appauling slow. When you look for grunt it just isn't there.

If your insurance will allow, there are a lot of good deals to be made with 1.6 Ghia 4 Door Focuses. The 4 door doesn't hold its value aswell as the hatchback and they're should be good deals out there. All the old ones have Ghia trim and the 1.6 engine pulls well. 0-60 in only 10.9 seconds. Not that thristy at the pumps either. 1.4 focus feels a bit underpowered if you don't mind me saying.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

colm_mcm wrote: »
    how often does a 323 go wrong?

Very well my friends 323 was overdue a service by 8000miles before he got any warning lights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Oilrig wrote: »
    Colm, the Focus is more desirable to MOST for whatever reason, hence its higher resale value.

Focus has a bullet proof reliability record amongst the trade, coupled with the fact that just about everything can be sourced OEM spec through Motor Factors at sensible money...

323 is a fine car, but it can't compete here.

you need a 1.6 in the focus, the 1.4 will drive you nuts. The gearboxes and clutches in the focus are troublesome (much like the 01 to 07 Mondeos) It's a nice car, but the interior is somewhat tacky and poorly made, stuff used to fall off the rural patrol cars, roof handles etc. Not the end of the world, but flippin annoying!!

If you want a focus, make sure you grab a 1.6 Ghia model, that way you've got a very good engine and spec level.

The 323 is more reliable, and a 1.5 is available, but not exactly pretty or well specced.

If I was learning again, I'd want a Focus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭vox

Thanks for all the advice so far. And thanks colm_mcm for pointing out the Mazda 323 as an option. I can see the potential value in those cars.

Ultimately i would like to stay away from the Focus/Golf big name cars as i feel their 2nd hand prices may be driven up by their popularity. My point is I kind of see them like an iPod, I think they are great but there are definitely better or equivalent alternatives, however the iPod will hold its value more due to its image and popularity more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

something with very low emissions otherwise your going to get screwed come july

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

vox wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice so far. And thanks colm_mcm for pointing out the Mazda 323 as an option. I can see the potential value in those cars.

Ultimately i would like to stay away from the Focus/Golf big name cars as i feel their 2nd hand prices may be driven up by their popularity. My point is I kind of see them like an iPod, I think they are great but there are definitely better or equivalent alternatives, however the iPod will hold its value more due to its image and popularity more than anything.

Get a Creative Zen 3.0. Don't get the 6.0 cos the insurance/running costs will be much higher. Alternatively get a small Samsung but don't try fitting 3 kids and a weeks shopping in the back.

P.S. stay away from the iPods altogether. You can only fill up at their petrol stations.

Javaboy, are you some kind of comedian by any chance? That is helarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Id go for a Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic.Very reliable first time cars and easy to maintain.

Yeah, was looking at the Corolla. Seems to be ideal but they look so dull!
    I will look into the civic aswell... Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭thesoulfulldude

vw golf no doubt, 1.4.... mk3 got mine at 90000 miles its now at 100000 and nothing wrong yet just breakpads and clutch, the basics, hard as a rock:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Has to be a Focus 1.6 Ghia model saloon. Focuses are desirable though, so it will be a very early model though, but the saloon with the "big" engine is less desirable(much better car though because it has 25% more power than the 1.4 and has far more equipment as standard) than the most popular 1.4 LX hatch. I suspect the 1.4 wouldn't pull the skin off a pudding as it does 0-100 in 14.4 seconds IIRC though, so definately get the 1.6.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭orbital83

You'd do well to pick up a Civic for 3K - that hasn't been burned out with all de handbreak turns ;)

If you're budget conscious you could pick up an 00/01 Hyundai Accent for around that price... reliable, easy to run, and flexible enough to keep you going for a few years.
    They're not the prettiest car in the world but the 3-door hatchback's not bad... compare to crappy old Micras etc that you might pick up at that price range...
    Sure mine has turned the odd head when I have her polished and waxed... ( well it must be the car cos it's hardly the driver :D )

Example
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Hyundai/Accent/1.3-GSI/900982/
    No connection to this car whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

vw golf no doubt, 1.4.... mk3 got mine at 90000 miles its now at 100000 and nothing wrong yet just breakpads and clutch, the basics, hard as a rock:p

I think your car is the exception. Definitly not the rule!

Advertisement