Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What grade is a Merit 2?

Options
  • 26-02-2008 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

I just spotted that on the computing courses (Systems, Web, Database), level 7 ordinary degree....

OK so there's an add-on year which upgrades your qualification to a Level 8 Hons degree

It says that the the min requirement for this is either:
    Pass with relivant work experience
    OR
    Merit 2

So does this mean that if you get a Merit 2 grade, you can come back to do the add-on year without having to go on work experience??

And if so, what grade is a Merit 2?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You have to do the work experience, it's kind of like it's own subject. If you don't you'll fail. Even if you could get into 4th year without work experience I wouldn't recommend it.

The pass with work experience means that if you get less than a merit 2 in 3rd year you can work for a few years (I think it's 1 year and it has to be relevant to the course so no mc donalds :D) and then you will be able to progress into 4th year.

A merit2 is an average of over 55, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Gotcha, was thinking you had to do work experience alright

Out of curiousity, what if you didn't get work experience sorted? I presume you'd be stuck in the college over the summer?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Everyone in my year got work experience sorted for them. Some companies even took on a few extra students who hadn't gotten work experience towards the end of the year so I can't see anyone not getting any. You will be working in the college though otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭emoKILLER

JohnCleary wrote: »
    So does this mean that if you get a Merit 2 grade, you can come back to do the add-on year without having to go on work experience??

the work experience is part of third year, you dont pass 3rd year until you pass your placement, but nobody has ever failed their placement!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

emoKILLER wrote: »
    the work experience is part of third year, you dont pass 3rd year until you pass your placement, but nobody has ever failed their placement!!

Heh, how'd ya manage that? If ya got fired?! That'd be a sickener

• Advertisement
Advertisement