Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Offers

Options
  • 26-02-2008 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭

Anyone know the latest Broadband deals on offer by Eircom/Bt?

I have a friend in Abbeyfeale,Co Limerick who has no phone line and is looking into getting broadband, there should be no problem getting a connection as most in his housing area have it....

Bt seem to be the cheapest, €46 per month for 2 mb, some calls and line rental, but do you need to have a phone line in place for them to connect you?eg be with Eircom first...

Anyone know if they are doing any promotions that are not on the sites like free months broadband, free connection, free router etc....

Is Eircom his only choice if he has no phone line in place?

Or can others like Bt/Perlico/Irish Broadband put in a line for you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Best to get eircom to install the line, since they have to do it anyway. You can sometimes get the others to do it, but they then have to get eircom to do it and it can often be a right mess.

BT is the cheapest, but it shouldn't take you too long to discover the myriad of problems they have. eircom have various deals for free WIFI router, free connection, etc. Check their website for more info. I'm not aware of any others doing deals right now. The 3 months free trials that were popular a few years back haven't been seen since, and are unlikely to happen again as broadband penetration has kicked off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Eircom it is then....

Moblie broadband is terrible isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭steve 0

Could be worth having a look @ utv, they have some offers on too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Eircom it is then....

Moblie broadband is terrible isnt it?

Not terrible, no, but it's not actually broadband either. If you're talking about 3G then depending on the operator, coverage, number of users connected in the same cell as you, weather conditions, etc, it can be quite good if you need Internet access on the move or in more than one location. I wouldn't really recommend it for home use, except as an absolute last resort.

Permanet might also be available to you out in Abbeyfeale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 buffett

maybe someone "in the know" can help me out here.

I have broadband for the last year with Clearwire, paying 50 quid a month. No problems with connection or anything despite hearing some horror stories on other posts. Tested the speed recently and its about 1.5 megs which is about right for a 2meg line.

I also have Eircom phone line costing me about 40 quid a month. So that 90 euro for phone + broadband.

From BT it looks like I can get 8mb broadband in my area + phone for 66 euro. I have heard lot of stories about how bad BT is, Eircom, NTL , well all providers really, so my question to people is :

1. Should I stay with Clearwire (2meg) + Eircom phone for 90 euro and continue to have a hassle free life :)

2. Switch to BT 8meg + phone for 66 euro

3. Something else ?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Akula

Switch to smart. Found them to be excellent. Some great deals at the moment too.

Advertisement