Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Bband username and password

Options
  • 27-02-2008 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi folks

I've read the stickys but just wanted to ask a further question about usernames and passwords for eircom broadband.

I replaced a netopia router with a new dlink wireless router for my boss today. I was able to configure the router and thought everything was fine but found that I couldnt get online. I have a default gateway address and was able to log into the admin control panel of the router.

In the admin panel though it asks for Username, password and server?While I was there I was trying old usernames and passwords he thought may have been correct. I've read on the eircom page that for netopia routers the username is eircom@eircom.net, password is broadband1 . . Is this my problem? Would it be the same? If so do I need to enter a value for Server?

I dread the thought of having to ring Eircom custmoer service:eek:

hope you can help

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

In the admin panel though it asks for Username, password and server?While I was there I was trying old usernames and passwords he thought may have been correct. I've read on the eircom page that for netopia routers the username is , password is broadband1 . . Is this my problem? Would it be the same? If so do I need to enter a value for Server?

I've done a few of these.. in the Connection Type section you need to have it set to PPPoE. And yes it helps to fill in the Username/Password, ie. eircom@eircom.net / broadband1

(I've seen in some cases the username will be: eircom )

I think the Server field can be left blank, don't remember ever having to enter a value for that.

Found this on another site:

Eircom Broadband Settings:
    Username : eircom
    Password : broadband1
    Encapsulation is PPPoE
    Multiplexing is LLC Based
    VPI = 8 & VCI = 35

Eircom DNS Settings:
    Primary DNS : 213.94.190.194
    Secondary DNS : 213.94.190.236

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭jackrussell007

Thank you kindly loveless.

I hope you have saved me from a call to eircom customer service! I'll test this this evening hopefully

this evening I connected the router to my brother in laws eircom broadband. wham..I was straight online, without even getting as far as changing the username/password to the eircom default above.

so I thought I was home and dried, but after maybe thirty seconds or so the dsl light started flashing again, the green internet light disappeared, the connection dropped out. I messed around with the username and password in the admin panel and it came back after a while but dropped again just as quick.

at this stage I figured the username and password didnt seem to have anything to do with it. I never actually got that far at all at my bosses house.The internet light stayed red at all times and I never got online at any stage

I'm just thinking now that the only thing I haven't done is change the ADSL Microfilter. I just used the ones that were already on the line in each house. I presumed they are all the same? maybe not??

Its a DLink DSL-2740B router. anyone ever have this kind of grief?

hope you can help!

thanks

any techies online today that could help me out?

or is there any other thread I may have missed that had covered this already.

thanks folks

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

I know on the Netopia routers that the red internet light usually means authentication-so username/password probably the issue there. It can be caused by intermittant sync tho. Flashing DSL means no sync between the router and the exchange so prob a line issue. I'm guessing they mean the same thing on your router. Some routers seem to need a better signal than others so one might work where another doesnt. User/PW should be eircom@eircom.net/broadband1.
    If your old router dies, as far as I know, they will send a new wireless one for free.

• Advertisement

wouldnt this mean though that I had a different problem in each house though.

i.e. at my bosses place . I never got online. the dsl light stayed green. internet light stayed red. I presumed it was the username + password was my problem.

at my brother in laws place, I got online then it dropped out. then back again then dropped again etc. dsl light going green then flashing then gone....no particular pattern to it. and the internet light goin from green to red to off intermittently also.

I spoke to someone else today that suggested it may be something to do with the IP address allocation. The default gateway for this router is 192.168.1.1 and he makes out that if I give the pc a static ip as 192.168.1.2 it may fix it. He thinks that the router is dynamically trying to assign 192.168.1.1 to the pc but its being used already by the router....make any sense?

thanks for the help turnsoutiwas

so, I've been testing this fukking dlink router out at my folks place. they have perlico broadband with a zyxel router. My problem in dropping the connection with the dlink router is as described above.

what I want ot ask is- today I configured an old belkin router on their broadband just to prove I could get another router working on their line. I got it online ok but still couldnt get the dlink going, it kept dropping the connection. I spoke to dlink technical support who told me over and over that it must be the authentication settings and get back to my bb provider. eventually she understood that I can get two other routers working using the same settings so after 25 minutes agreed there must be something wrong with the router and she told me to upgrade the firmware. (I'll be doin this later)

I went back to the belkin router cause it was closest to hand. I got online but when I found the file I was looking for it wouldnt let me download it. it would time out and page not display etc. I went back to my folks zyxel router and found the could download the file just fine....wtf?

any reason this would happen? why can I download the file with one router but not another?

this nearly has me beaten now. I've a gut feeling the firmware ugrade wont fix my problem.gonna have to go get another eircom router for my boss. seems a shame though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

If it's a flashing dsl it's either one of the following, - faulty splitter, faulty extension/line or interference from sky digital/phone system/monitored alarm.

In that case remove the splitter and reset the modem, if dsl is still flashing make sure you don't have sky digital or any of the other 2 connected then bring it to the main phone point. Plug it directly in, if it turns solid it means an extension fault. If it keeps flashing call tech supportt.

If your dsl is solid green but internet is red it's an authentication or port issue. If you can't connect with the default username and password of eircom@eircom.net/broadband1 then ring tech support and ask to be connected with a support username and password. Although if you've been with eircom for a few years you'll have your own specific username and password, which WONT be eircom@eircom.net/broadband1.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Brimmy wrote: »
    Although if you've been with eircom for a few years you'll have your own specific username and password, which WONT be eircom@eircom.net/broadband1.
    I'm in that position, and both work equally as well nowadays. In the beginning you had to use your own userid/password but that changed a few years back now to eircom/broadband1.

thanks for that folks

maybe interference is the most likely cause at this stage, thanks brimmy

Any idea why I'd be able to get online with the belkin router but not download that firmware upgrade?

suppose I'd better get on to eircom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

did you ever sort this out? having the exact same problem! with same router..

Advertisement