Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in France

Options
  • 27-02-2008 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Me and two mates are going to the Pyrenees mountains in France in May for a week of cycling. It's not an organised thing, just renting a house and doing some of the TD France climbs.
    Relatively fit, 50 to 100 miles per week here in Ireland.
    Anyone else out there done the same thing, anything to watch out for?
    Would appreciate some advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

I presume you're taking your own bikes with you? If so just to share my recent experience of taking my bike on a plane. I had read loads of horror stories about damage to bikes etc but my experience could not have been better. Now I know those that own very expensive bikes will cringe at this but as mine in only in the €500 bracket what I did may not seem outlandish. I decided not to use any packaging whatsoever just took off the pedals (put them in the saddle bag) removed the front wheel and taped it to the frame and put the handle bars in line with the frame. I was working on the princicple that if the handlers knew it was a bike the would treat it better than if it was in a bag. In Dublin I checked in had the bike tagged then took it to outsize baggage. On arrival (in Brussels) the bike was delivered on a trolley to a designated area at the end of the regualr carousel. On departure from Brussels a few days later as soon as I arrived at check in a baggage handler appeared from nowhere and took my bike. The whole experience could not have been better. (beginner's luck?)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Dunmoon

Yeah, we're taking our own bikes alright. We have bought hard shell bike boxes for transporting on a plane. Figure its worth the money as the bikes we own cost a fair bit. I'd say you were just lucky with your experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I've regularly taken my (aluminum) bike on a plane, did no more than rotate the bars. Wheeled onto and off the plane by the baggage handlers, never had a problem. I don't know I would be so comfortable doing this with carbon; I have seen bikes being thrown around. I do think you get better handling if the thing is wheelable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ventoux

Hi,
    I did something similar in 06 to catch the tour and it was my first trip to real mountains.The climbs are tough and long, especially the Tourmalet ,sections of 9-10% but the desents make up for it as the surfaces are pretty good.Hope your training envolves hilly routes as you will need some to prepare the body,as its a bit of a shock the first day you head out and discover how long and tough they can be.Unless your a lightweight gearing is important 39x27 or compact should see you through.Sometimes the first trip can be a learning process so you can go back again with a better idea of whats ahead of you.Enjoy.

Thanks for your advice ventoux. I am aware that the climbs as used on the TDF are pretty tough alright. Trouble is, where do you find anything like it here in IRL to test yourself on?
    I live in W Waterford at an altitude of 650 ft. So when I go for a training spin it invariably involves a return leg to cover that altitude. Thats ok now, as I'm used to it and its no problem to me, but I find it difficult to imagine the mountains in france and whats in store. I have done all the tough climbs in my area (the Vee, the Comeraghs) and some real gut-busters locally, so only hope I will be prepared enough.
    I do a lot of light training on my mountain bike and all the long ones on my trusty road bike. Lowest gear on the road bike is 38x28.
    Have it in mind to do the Tourmalet at some stage on the holiday, be good to experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

Hi,
    Living in East Cork. Decided to do the Etape this yearso I need to get in as much climbing as possible.
    Doing the Vee is OK but you need to add one or two other climbs into the same ride to make any trips in France easier.
    Building up to a 100 - 125k trip with 1000m of climbing and you will have no probs.
    Talking to the lads I go with you can never have enough gears for the Pyrenees.
    So I decided on a triple, inside ring will be 30 and I will put a 32 on the back as a get out of jail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

If you make reservations for dinner make sure you are there on time. The French are funny like that.
    Good Luck on the climbs, you'll have to post some photos...

Oh, i know what the french are like. Can't say too much tho as my sister lives there.
    Will be takin the camera along, so photos will follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 turnitonnow

pyrenees in may .... its still cold.... went there in april a few years ago ... snow hail & sleet....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Freddy687 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Living in East Cork. Decided to do the Etape this yearso I need to get in as much climbing as possible.
    Haven't been on a bike for 3 years and never on a road bike but I decided to take a blast off it again last November. Liked it, so committed to doing the Etape also. However I guess I have the advantage of living in the south of France. First thing I have noticed is that you need a triple! I have only done some (relatively) easy cycles so far but even on them I couldn't imagine doing them without the triple. Here's one of the spins I did recently. It's nice to be able to cycle from 20m to over 1000m in less than 3 hrs from your front door;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Live in Waterford too and have ridden in the Alps also. Bottom line, the alps are handy enough. The surfaces are good and if you are not racing its pretty handy to get into a rhythm on the climb. Mahon falls in Waterford is a good test. Its as hard as anything out there really although its only 4.5k long. Nonetheless thats what I trained on and I had no trouble completing the Etape. Bring a compact with you just in case, or go cheaper and just get a 12-27 cassette, better safe than sorry.

Advertisement